Last NVDA: How do I update it?

Hello folks.
I'm on the NVDA Alpha channel. I got informed that a new version was available, but not for the channel, I read it here just now.
The thing is: when I was going to check for updates it shows me nothing.
Anyone knows what can be happening and how to fix it?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marcio,

You can download the update from https://www.nvaccess.org/download - when you install it, the installer will automatically install over your existing installed version.

The Beta channel automatically updates to the RC channel.
The RC channel automatically updates to the next stable release.

The alpha channel stays on the alpha channel.  If you would like to change from alpha to stable, you will need to download manually.

So anyone who downloaded either the beta or RC releases should be prompted to update to NVDA 2018.4 stable, but you can also download it manually and install.

Note that NVDA only checks once every 24 hours or so; for those following us on social media or in the groups here, you often find out before NVDA has checked.  You can either download or check for updates manually, or wait and it will do it within a day or so.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 10:37 AM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Hello folks.
I'm on the NVDA Alpha channel. I got informed that a new version was available, but not for the channel, I read it here just now.
The thing is: when I was going to check for updates it shows me nothing.
Anyone knows what can be happening and how to fix it?

Marcio
Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter
Follow or add me on Facebook
Ask me something on CuriousCat

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

My WhatsApp

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi Quentin,
First, thanks for your answer.
Just to see if I got it right: If I download this version, I'll automatically lose the Alpha channel?
If so, how I can stay up to date about news on the NVDA stable without losing it?
I mean, staying in the Alpha channel I won't receive news from the stable version, or will I?
Maybe it's a stupid question but I still am confused about these channels.
Em 16/12/2018 21:59, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Marcio

if you are running the alfa version as a installed version it will stay on the alfa version for updates.

The way a few of us do it is they might keep the stable version as the main installer version.

If they want to test out either the alfa version or beta version then they would make up a directory on the c: drive and either name it alfa version of nvda or beta version of nvda or along those lines.

They would then download either the alfa version or beta version and then make a portable copy inside of either directory and have the files put into it.

Then they would make a shortcut from the desktop either to the alfa version or the beta version to the nvda.exe file and also asign a shortcut to start that copy.

I have a alfa version plus the beta version plus the stable version on this computer.

so when you go to start it lets say for the alfa version the hot key could be alt + ctrl + the letter A.

So when you say look at my c: drive i would have c:\ nvda alfa

c:\ nvda beta

programfiles x86 nvda which is the stable version.

Hope you get what i mean.

On 17/12/2018 2:03 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

If you install the stable version, you will no longer get updates to the alpha channel, that's correct.  It's worth at least download 2018.4 even if you use alpha, because then you have the latest stable version to go back to if needed.  It's up to you whether you want to be in the stable release channel or the alpha release channel.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Quentin,
First, thanks for your answer.
Just to see if I got it right: If I download this version, I'll automatically lose the Alpha channel?
If so, how I can stay up to date about news on the NVDA stable without losing it?
I mean, staying in the Alpha channel I won't receive news from the stable version, or will I?
Maybe it's a stupid question but I still am confused about these channels.

Cheers,
[...]

Hi Hurrikennyandopo,
Thanks for your explanation, it was very clear.
But the question is: people of the NVDA Alpha channel receive updates from the Stable or there's a chance of having something on the stable and not on the alpha?

Em 16/12/2018 23:18, hurrikennyandopo ... escreveu:

[...]

Ok, thanks again Quentin.
Em 16/12/2018 23:19, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

You couls also pot shurtcuts in system32 and run them via the run dialogue. xmaple

nvda
then
nvdaa
then
nvdab

I'm not one for keyboardshortcuts so prefer it this way.

Tc

On 16 Dec 2018, at 17:18, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

Hi Sarah,
Could you please tell me how I can assign these shortcuts? It seems very helpful.
Em 16/12/2018 23:52, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

[...]

The alfa channel will only do the alfa version.

If you use a beta version it will then upgrade to the RC version then stable.

the stable version like 2018.3 will only go to 2018.4 if you get what i mean.

Gene nz

[...]

If you have the alpha channel installed, then you will receive the next alpha build, which is different to the stable build.  For instance, for the last couple of weeks, new code which was added (fixes for issues, updates and new features) has gone into alpha, but (with a couple of exceptions) was never going to be included in 2018.4.  Those updates will hopefully be in 2019.1.  Aside from anything else, we have a code freeze a few weeks before a new release in order to give our wonderful team of translators time to update their work without fear of new features (and possibly new text to translate) being added at the last minute.

So Alpha and stable are quite different channels.  We encourage everyone to have a copy of the latest stable build, 2018.4 - whether you have it installed and use a portable copy of the Alpha build, or the other way around, is up to you.  If you do install one build over the top of another, it will keep your settings and add-ons etc, so it should be fairly easy and painless to change channels if you desire.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 12:27 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Image
          NVDA certified expert

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Sarah k Alawami

  1. Browse to the exe in question
  2. Right click or hit shift f10 or hit your applications key
  3. Click send to
  4. Click desktop
  5. Go to the desktop and copy or cut the shortcut to the clip board.
  6. Go to c:\windows\system32 and paste the shortcut there.
  7. Rename the shortcut to something like nvda or nvdaa or what not.

That's it.

I have shortcuts to my networked computers, folders on my drive etc. I can't remember when I started doingnthis, aybe 10 years ago, but I love it.

On 16 Dec 2018, at 18:09, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Ok, thanks. I got it now.
Em 17/12/2018 00:19, hurrikennyandopo ... escreveu:

[...]

No more doubts at all. Thanks for the help :)
Em 17/12/2018 00:26, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

Excellent, you're most welcome, enjoy!

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I'll definitely try it out.
Em 17/12/2018 00:31, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

So you want to downdate, so to speak from alpha to the new version? the best plan is to download it afresh and uninstall the alpha.
On the other hand I keep an alpha updated as a portable version and use the stable or betas as my installed copy.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'm on the NVDA Alpha channel. I got informed that a new version was
available, but not for the channel, I read it here just now.
The thing is: when I was going to check for updates it shows me nothing.
Anyone knows what can be happening and how to fix it?

Marcio

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email <mailto:marcinhorj21@yahoo.com.br>
Add me on Skype <skype:marcinhorj666?add>
Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>
Ask me something on CuriousCat <https://curiouscat.me/firirinfonfon>
Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)
My WhatsApp <https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=5521981615268>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I was not prompted but asked nvda to look and it found it.
I'd be a little wary of overwriting an Alpha with a stable though from past experiences.

yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:

Hello folks.
I'm on the NVDA Alpha channel. I got informed that a new version was
available, but not for the channel, I read it here just now.
The thing is: when I was going to check for updates it shows me nothing.
Anyone knows what can be happening and how to fix it?
--

------------------------------
Cheers,

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not really. If say a bug is spotted on the normal release version, a new release version say.4.1 is made and the fix exported back to Alpha as well to make sure both are based on the same code.
The other way around of course, the whole point of alpha is for new features and fixes to be tested. You do not want untested code going to a stable version. In the old days we also had a channel where tested alpha code was in a beta, but now that only starts to appear nearer a release time. You need to watch for this on the snapshots page, which is what I do. The reason is that at times new enhancements come out that affect the beta and it will have to be altered, so the point of beta is to have it more or less fixed in stone before letting the public destructively test it!

<mailto:yahoo.com.br@groups.io>> wrote:

Hello folks.
I'm on the NVDA Alpha channel. I got informed that a new version
was available, but not for the channel, I read it here just now.
The thing is: when I was going to check for updates it shows me
nothing.
Anyone knows what can be happening and how to fix it?

Marcio
Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email <mailto:marcinhorj21@yahoo.com.br>
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>
Ask me something on CuriousCat
<https://curiouscat.me/firirinfonfon>
Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)
My WhatsApp <https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=5521981615268>

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now

Twitter: @NVAccess
--
Image NVDA certified expert
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just to be different I use a batch file to close the old copy first, and I also have one that is capable of loading in the log to notepad before rebooting another stable copy, no matter which was running before. This means as I have debug login on on all versions, it allows easy access to the log when things go wrong.
[...]

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook<https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>

<marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io<mailto:yahoo.com.br@groups.io>>