Problem installing latest update

Janet Brandly

Hello all, especially NVDA Support,

I’m having a problem with the latest update. It seemed to download OK after I got the prompt, but it wouldn’t install. It asked me to review the log view which I did, but it doesn’t make any sense to me. I looked for the software in my download folder to install it manually, but it wasn’t there. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jan

Quentin Christensen

Hi Janet,

We'll need a bit more information to help you.  One of the most common reasons is that when you run the installer, it brings up a User Account Control (UAC) dialog.  The dialog warns that the program wants to make changes to your PC and you must accept it to continue.  That's a standard Windows warning when you install any software, but occasionally it appears behind other windows.  If the program is installing (the progress bar is beeping) but you haven't answered that dialog yet, try using ALT+TAB to find it (if it doesn't appear on top of everything, it often appears at the back, as in the last window in the list when you ALT+TAB).  If you don't respond to it within about 20 seconds, it will close and the install will fail.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Janet Brandly

Hi Quentin,
Thanks for the response. I tried reinstalling the update and it failed again. I alt-tabbed periodically throughout the set-up process and the dialog didn’t show. I just got the
error message advising me that the installation had failed and to check the log viewer. Any other suggestions? If it would help, I could send you a copy of what the log viewer says. Another thing, I installed the update through the “check for updates” under the Help menu in the NVDA control panel.

[...]

Hello again Quentin,

Below is a copy of what the log viewer says.

Janet

INFO - __main__ (17:36:16.924):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.285):
Config dir: C:\Users\Janet\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (17:36:17.285):
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.332):
NVDA version 2018.4
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.332):
Using Windows version 10.0.17134 workstation
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.332):
Using Python version 2.7.15 (v2.7.15:ca079a3ea3, Apr 30 2018, 16:22:17) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.332):
Using comtypes version 1.1.3
INFO - core.main (17:36:17.332):
Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (17:36:18.848):
Loaded synthDriver oneCore
INFO - core.main (17:36:18.855):
Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (17:36:18.865):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (17:36:18.865):
Using liblouis version 3.7.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (17:36:18.865):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (17:36:18.966):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (17:36:18.996):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation5
INFO - core.main (17:36:19.979):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (17:40:34.710):
Failed to execute installer
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall
  File "config\__init__.pyo", line 209, in execElevated
  File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx
WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (17:40:34.759):
Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.

[...]

Hi,

Hmmm, did you get any User Account Control prompt at all? Sometimes, attempting an install after logging out and back in resolves this and should give you a chance to say “Yes” when UAC screen spears.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

As Joseph asked, did you get the UAC dialog asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to your PC?  If you aren't seeing the UAC dialog, or aren't responding to it, that would generate a log like the one you included.  See Joseph's message for a workaround.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

For what it's worth, I had to answer alt-y to the security dialog twice. I don't know if it's because it didn't take the first time, or if it jut needed two yes responses, but I suspect it's the first option, because I've had that issue before. I can't see much, but I can tell when the security screen comes up, because it's dark, and the rest of my screens are very light, so when it comes, I hit alt-y, and away it goes, but perhaps I hit alt-y too early, so had to do it again, but that was the only trouble I had installing NVDA 2018.4. It was a bit slow at first, until I closed VLC, after that, it rturned to normal response times. Don't know if it's a result of it just being VLC, or if it was a result of my having had that particular copy of VLC open for nearly a week on this machine, and it was just being a resource hot at that point, but regardless of the reason, it behaved normally after I closed it, so there itis for what it's worth. I haven't tried reopening VLC just yet, as I'm not ready to continue reading that particular book.

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification
now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

In Windows 7, UAC always plays a sound when it comes up.  I would think that would be the case in
Windows 10 as well.  Even if a screen-reader doesn't read it until you do certain things to cause it to read, if you listen for the sound when you begin to do something such as install something that is expected to cause UAC to come up, that would, I would think, make things easier and faster.  If you hear the sound, you shouldn't have to do anything, whether your screen-reader reads the dialog or not, except to issue the command alt y.  I use NVDA on my Windows 7 machine as a portable program.  It can't read the UAC command for technical reasons I won't go into here and don't completely know.  But the sound plays every time.  I just answer alt y.

Gene

For what it's worth, I had to answer alt-y to the security dialog twice.
I don't know if it's because it didn't take the first time, or if it jut
needed two yes responses, but I suspect it's the first option, because
I've had that issue before.  I can't see much, but I can tell when the
security screen comes up, because it's dark, and the rest of my screens
are very light, so when it comes, I hit alt-y, and away it goes, but
perhaps I hit alt-y too early, so had to do it again, but that was the
only trouble I had installing NVDA 2018.4.  It was a bit slow at first,
until I closed VLC, after that, it rturned to normal response times.
Don't know if it's a result of it just being VLC, or if it was a result of
my having had that particular copy of VLC open for nearly a week on this
machine, and it was just being a resource hot at that point, but
regardless of the reason, it behaved normally after I closed it, so there
itis for what it's worth. I haven't tried reopening VLC just yet, as I'm
not ready to continue reading that particular book.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Quentin Christensen wrote:

> Hi Janet,
> As Joseph asked, did you get the UAC dialog asking if you want to allow the
> program to make changes to your PC?  If you aren't seeing the UAC dialog, or
> aren't responding to it, that would generate a log like the one you
> included.  See Joseph's message for a workaround.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>
> wrote:
>
>       Hi,
>
>       Hmmm, did you get any User Account Control prompt at all?
>       Sometimes, attempting an install after logging out and back in
>       resolves this and should give you a chance to say “Yes” when UAC
>       screen spears.
>
>       Cheers,
>
>       Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The download I think goes to the temp folder. Not quite sure about this question you were asked. I never saw anything like this.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I’m having a problem with the latest update. It seemed to download OK after I got the prompt, but it wouldn’t install. It asked me to review the log view which I did, but it doesn’t make any sense to me. I looked for the software in my download folder to install it manually, but it wasn’t there. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jan

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Lucky you. My windows does not play any sound when the UAC dialog appears. I don't know if previous versions of windows made such a sound, but my 8.1 and my win10 make no sound when the dialog shows up, it just blanks the screen, which I can see, because the scren goes dark, then after I press the alt-y (once or twice depending), then the screen gets light again, so that's the way I manage it. If I wait long enough, I believe it does speak the contents, but that takes so long, that by the time it starts talking, I could have been back to what I was doing already, so there's no point to wait for the speech.

wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, mine does not make any noise either, but I disabled it, and do every time I am on windows anything. I'm the only one who uses the computer and if I don't recognize something I stop it anyway.