Tyler Spivey

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

synth is connectedby u s b.
it doesn't talk at all.
this is the one labeled u s b.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] dectalk express u s b

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

Tyler Spivey

First, let's get the basics out of the way. Do you have the drivers
installed?
If not, go here and get them. If your PC is 64-bit, you'll want the
64-bit driver:

http://www.axsol.com/downloads.php

Once these are installed, restart your computer and try again.

Last I checked many years ago, that addon worked. I don't have a
dectalk, so can't debug it here. If you really want it to work, we might
be able to debug remotely with you on Skype or something, but I can't
guarantee anything.

On 12/17/2018 1:15 PM, larry k wrote:
synth is connectedby u s b.
it doesn't talk at all.
this is the one labeled u s b.

-----Original Message----- From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

yes, drivers have been installed.

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

Roger Stewart

I remember trying this one several years ago. It works, but it is very full of bugs and does several weird things. The person who made it seems to have disappeared and guess isn't interested in developing it much further.  Too bad. I have an old Dec Talk Express that is originally a serial device, but I have a serial to USB adapter. It is recognized and says it is working properly so there's nothing I can do about it here.

Roger

On 12/17/2018 3:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

can you send me your drivers?
thanks
larry

I remember trying this one several years ago. It works, but it is very full of bugs and does several weird things. The person who made it seems to have disappeared and guess isn't interested in developing it much further.  Too bad. I have an old Dec Talk Express that is originally a serial device, but I have a serial to USB adapter. It is recognized and says it is working properly so there's nothing I can do about it here.

Roger

On 12/17/2018 3:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sir-laurence@...>

it seems that it will work using the serial port using an adapter from u s b, but it will not work directly from a u s b connection.
I wish someone would correct this as I’d like to use the dectalk
larry

Tyler Spivey

What errors do you get when you load the synth?
Does anything show up at the end of the log (accessed with log viewer
after you load it)?

On 12/17/2018 6:27 PM, larry k wrote:
it seems that it will work using the serial port using an adapter from u
s b, but it will not work directly from a u s b connection.
I wish someone would correct this as I’d like to use the dectalk
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

I get no errors, as far as the log viewer, I'll check it out

What errors do you get when you load the synth?
Does anything show up at the end of the log (accessed with log viewer
after you load it)?

On 12/17/2018 6:27 PM, larry k wrote:
it seems that it will work using the serial port using an adapter from u
s b, but it will not work directly from a u s b connection.
I wish someone would correct this as I’d like to use the dectalk
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

speech synth doesn't show up in th e list.
so can't give report on log viewer..

What errors do you get when you load the synth?
Does anything show up at the end of the log (accessed with log viewer
after you load it)?

On 12/17/2018 6:27 PM, larry k wrote:
it seems that it will work using the serial port using an adapter from u
s b, but it will not work directly from a u s b connection.
I wish someone would correct this as I’d like to use the dectalk
larry

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

Can one still purchase a dectalk usb?

it seems that it will work using the serial port using an adapter from u s b, but it will not work directly from a u s b connection.
I wish someone would correct this as I’d like to use the dectalk
larry

larry k <sir-laurence@...>

I get the message, can not load synthesizer when I try and load express.
following is the log.

INFO - __main__ (11:24:59.428):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.835):
Config dir: C:\Users\home\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (11:24:59.835):
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.897):
NVDA version 2018.4
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.897):
Using Windows version 10.0.17134 workstation
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.897):
Using Python version 2.7.15 (v2.7.15:ca079a3ea3, Apr 30 2018, 16:22:17) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.897):
Using comtypes version 1.1.3
INFO - core.main (11:24:59.897):
Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (11:25:00.252):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (11:25:00.252):
Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (11:25:00.252):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (11:25:00.252):
Using liblouis version 3.7.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (11:25:00.252):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (11:25:00.272):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (11:25:00.282):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation5
INFO - core.main (11:25:00.721):
NVDA initialized
INFO - config.ConfigManager.save (11:25:32.114):
Base configuration saved
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (11:28:09.670):
Loaded synthDriver express
ERROR - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (11:29:08.423):
setSynth
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "synthDriverHandler.pyo", line 105, in setSynth
File "synthDriverHandler.pyo", line 73, in getSynthInstance
File "C:\Users\home\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\express\synthDrivers\express.py", line 85, in __init__
File "serial\__init__.pyo", line 78, in serial_for_url
File "serial\serialwin32.pyo", line 66, in open
SerialException: could not open port 'com3': WindowsError(5, 'Access is denied.')
ERROR - stderr (11:29:08.423):
Exception in thread Thread-9:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyo", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
File "C:\Users\home\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\express\synthDrivers\express.py", line 26, in run
File "serial\serialwin32.pyo", line 246, in read
SerialException: Attempting to use a port that is not open
ERROR - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (11:29:08.423):
setSynth
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "synthDriverHandler.pyo", line 105, in setSynth
File "synthDriverHandler.pyo", line 73, in getSynthInstance
File "C:\Users\home\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\express\synthDrivers\express.py", line 85, in __init__
File "serial\__init__.pyo", line 78, in serial_for_url
File "serial\serialwin32.pyo", line 66, in open
SerialException: could not open port 'com3': WindowsError(5, 'Access is denied.')
INFO - synthDrivers.espeak.SynthDriver.__init__ (11:29:08.467):
Using eSpeak NG version 1.49.3 dev
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (11:29:08.552):
Loaded synthDriver espeak
ERROR - unhandled exception (11:29:29.391):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\settingsDialogs.pyo", line 595, in onCancel
File "gui\settingsDialogs.pyo", line 851, in onDiscard
File "gui\settingsDialogs.pyo", line 1177, in onDiscard
File "wx\core.pyo", line 1392, in _EvtHandler_Unbind
File "wx\core.pyo", line 1461, in Unbind
RuntimeError: wrapped C/C++ object of type Choice has been deleted

larry

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

Tyler Spivey

There are two different addons. One for the dectalk express which
connects through a serial port, and one for the dectalk USB which
connects through a USB port.
If you have a dectalk USB connected through the USB port, you want the
USB addon.
If you want to connect it through serial, you need the dectalk express
addon, and you also need to edit it to change the serial port (or change
the port in device manager to match the one the addon is currently using).

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

I've tried all of them on your site.
send me a link to the dectalk u s b add-on and I think that one is in a zip format, not an addon.
if this is the case, after putting drivers in the synth drivers folder, it does not talk.
larry

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

Tyler Spivey

I don't host any of them. Get it from Jeff's, link below.
I see what the problem is. You're probably using IE, which automatically
renames addons to zips, unless the server tells it not to. Also, copying
it to synthDrivers won't work
So you simply need to change the extension from .zip to .nvda-addon, or
download with Firefox or chrome.
Alternatively, do this.
1. Download the addon. You'll get a zip.
2. Copy it to your clipboard from explorer.
3. Open the NVDA menu, tools, Manage add-ons, install.
3. Paste. Press enter.

Download link:
https://jeff.tdrealms.com/Add-Ons/DECtalkUSB.nvda-addon

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

I downloaded the file mentioned and copied the .py file.
I put it in n v d a synth drivers.
in the synthesizer list, it shows up but when you select it, and pick speakers since the express has it's own, I get the error, cannot load synthesizer.
I think I already sent you the log.
larry

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 14:12
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

What is it doing? Exactly which addon do you have and does it talk at
all? How is the synth connected, serial or USB?

On 12/17/2018 1:07 PM, larry k wrote:
the dectalk express add on doesn’t work correctly. does anyone have any
tips to make it work with the synthesizer?
larry

Tyler Spivey

What part of my instructions was unclear? The only thing you seemed to
understand was the link, but there is more to my email.