Success!

Janet Brandly

After trying again, I was able to install the update successfully. After the update downloaded, there was another sound which I hadn’t heard before. I hit Alt-Yon spec and I installed and restarted successfully. In the future, it would be very helpful if this dialog would read properly.
Janet

Quentin Christensen

Ah fantastic - ignore the email I just sent then :)

Re the dialog not reading properly - it should read ok, however it uses a different NVDA profile.  To have it read in the voice you prefer:
1) Setup NVDA as you like (synthesizer, rate, etc)
2) Press NVDA+CONTROL+C to save changes.
3) Press NVDA+CONTROL+G to open the general settings.
4) Press TAB until the focus is on the "Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens" button
5) Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate the button.
6) If you have any add-ons, a dialog appears warning that these can be a security risk (not that there is a risk from any specific add-ons, just a general warning).  Press ENTER to accept this.
7) A UAC dialog appears.  press ALT+Y accept the prompt.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem is, Janet that you often have a catch 22 issue in this sort of case. NVDA doing a full update has probably decoupled all the old files and so there is no screenreader to read it, hence the noise. I know its not advisable according to many here, but if you are careful what you install and only you uses the machine, turn uac off completely. It will complain about it at first but life is a lot simpler with it gone!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

After trying again, I was able to install the update successfully. After the update downloaded, there was another sound which I hadn’t heard before. I hit Alt-Yon spec and I installed and restarted successfully. In the future, it would be very helpful if this dialog would read properly.
Janet

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That may be what is supposed to occur, but time after time it goes mute and does not use the built in secure screen reader. Its not just that its opened behind either, even alt tabbing will not reveal it. I guess putting narrator on before an install may work, I've never tried it. Its my feeling that in some circumstances the cut down bit of nvda which is supposed to run in this situation cannot read the screen unless its actually in focus and for some reason alt tabbing never actually achieves this, at least from my experience.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@shaw.ca> wrote:

After trying again, I was able to install the update successfully. After
the update downloaded, there was another sound which I hadn’t heard before.
I hit Alt-Yon spec and I installed and restarted successfully. In the
future, it would be very helpful if this dialog would read properly.
Janet

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I'm extremely skeptical of that.  Nothing has been installed yet.  Speech occurs when installation has failed.  And as I understand it, NVDA is in memory and can work even if the files on the drive have been decoupled.

I consider this extremely unlikely and I consider advising turning UAC off to be very bad advice.  UAC isn't nearly as effective as it might be because malware writers have found ways around it.  But it does help at times in preventing malware from being installed.  It is not reasonable to advise turning it off when all that is needed is to listen for the sound, then issue the command alt y.  Consider the amount of time in doing that compared with the amount of time removing an infection it might have prevented.

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 8:31 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'