off topic question about deleting all emails from my inbox folder in outlook

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I want to select all the emails in my inbox and delete them. Is there a way to select all the emails all at once? Thanks.

Chris

Try ctrl+A

Sent: 19 December 2018 20:18
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] off topic question about deleting all emails from my inbox folder in outlook

I want to select all the emails in my inbox and delete them. Is there a way to select all the emails all at once? Thanks.

Brian Moore

Hi.  yep, in both cases, ctrL+a will select them all and then the delete key.

On 12/19/2018 3:18 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Sarah k Alawami

Hit control a, then delete? That should move everything to the trash. Then empty trash.

On 19 Dec 2018, at 12:18, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Gene

In any standard list, control selects everything in the list.  In a document, control a selects everything in the document.  in a standard edit field, even if it is only one line, control a selects everything.  At times, I use control a to select an e-mail address in the to line, then delete an e-mail address in a message I'm replying to.  Then I delete the address and put another there, if I want to change the recipient for some reason.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] off topic question about deleting all emails from my inbox folder in outlook

Gene

You can use shift delete to immediately delete everything and not send it to trash.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] off topic question about deleting all emails from my inbox folder in outlook

Hit control a, then delete? That should move everything to the trash. Then empty trash.

hi.
thanks, guys. it's deleting them, although i should have done this on my bigger machine. my tablet is taking a hundred years to delete them. and i feel really really sick. gross latte... bye.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 3:32 pm Brian Moore <bmoore@... wrote:

they're all deleted now.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@... wrote:

Guys? I’m never going to delete the emails using my tablet. With only 4 gigabytes of ram and only one gigabyte available, it’s too slow. Thank god my laptop has 4 gigabytes of ram left.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:41 PM

they're all deleted now.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@... wrote:

I think control plus a should do the trick.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:19 PM
Subject: [nvda] off topic question about deleting all emails from my inbox folder in outlook

Rosemarie Chavarria

Yes, control A does the trick.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:58 PM

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover

well it worked but now i'm unable to send or receive email from outlook on this tablet. my life is over.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 4:58 pm Governor staten <govsta@... wrote:

Gene

What error message do you get?

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:34 PM

well it worked but now i'm unable to send or receive email from outlook on this tablet. my life is over.

well there is no error message. it just appears the inbox is taking forever to load. most likely due to the fact there is one gig of ram available. the other 3 gigabytes of ram are being used for who knows what. i open outlook and it says inbox brainardmolly@....  and then the machine is quiet. when i use the up and down arrow keys nvda doesn't talk. guess outlook is trying to retrieve the mail but it can't because of the ram.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm Gene <gsasner@... wrote:

Gene

Gene

I don't know if you understand about RAM.  Are you talking about RAM, meaning memory used by your computer, or are you talking about available disk space.  Low Ram wouldn't cause your e-mail program not to function.  Low ram might cause your entire  computer to function slowly.  You may be able to solve the problem by compressing your inbox but how you do that depends on the program you are using.  How are you determining what is being used in terms of your four gigabytes figure?

Gene

----- Original message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:02 PM

well there is no error message. it just appears the inbox is taking forever to load. most likely due to the fact there is one gig of ram available. the other 3 gigabytes of ram are being used for who knows what. i open outlook and it says inbox brainardmolly@....  and then the machine is quiet. when i use the up and down arrow keys nvda doesn't talk. guess outlook is trying to retrieve the mail but it can't because of the ram.

Gene

Gene

I see you are using Outlook.  I'll let others continue the discussion but RAM shouldn't be the problem. 

Gene

Gene

i'm talking about ram as in low memory. i have plenty of disk space. but if your computer doesn'"t have a lot of ram, does that mean the machine will be slow? i thought the more ram you have, and the faster your processor, the faster your machine will be. i could be wrong, though.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm Gene <gsasner@... wrote:
I don't know if you understand about RAM.  Are you talking about RAM, meaning memory used by your computer, or are you talking about available disk space.  Low Ram wouldn't cause your e-mail program not to function.  Low ram might cause your entire  computer to function slowly.  You may be able to solve the problem by compressing your inbox but how you do that depends on the program you are using.  How are you determining what is being used in terms of your four gigabytes figure?

Gene

Gene

Gene

It depends on how much RAM is being used.  If your RAM is so low that your computer must use virtual memory, that is, placing information on your hard drive instead of in RAM, your computer would be slow in operation or slow in switching from program to program as you alt tab and open another program you have alt tabbed to.

Deleting the messages in your inbox doesn't have anything to do with memory use.  You've deleted the messages.  They are gone.  They weren't in RAM to start with, they were on your hard drive and were displayed in the inbox.  Now they are gone. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:15 PM

i'm talking about ram as in low memory. i have plenty of disk space. but if your computer doesn'"t have a lot of ram, does that mean the machine will be slow? i thought the more ram you have, and the faster your processor, the faster your machine will be. i could be wrong, though.

Gene

Gene

Gene

I should add that if you have insufficient RAM, your computer will run slowly.  But if you have sufficient RAM, just adding more won't speed it up.  If you never use more than three GB of RAM and you have four, adding more RAM won't do anything.  You already have 1GB that is free at all times.  I often see people say, the more RAM, the faster your machine will run.

Memory is one of the most widely misunderstood technical aspects of computers and I've seen more nonsense about RAM than about any other technical aspect of computers.  The more memory the better?  How can more memory speed up a computer that already has free memory when you are just adding more that won't be used.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:49 PM

It depends on how much RAM is being used.  If your RAM is so low that your computer must use virtual memory, that is, placing information on your hard drive instead of in RAM, your computer would be slow in operation or slow in switching from program to program as you alt tab and open another program you have alt tabbed to.

Deleting the messages in your inbox doesn't have anything to do with memory use.  You've deleted the messages.  They are gone.  They weren't in RAM to start with, they were on your hard drive and were displayed in the inbox.  Now they are gone. 

Gene

Gene

Gene

Well if you have a faster processor, doesn’t that improve performance?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:09 PM

I should add that if you have insufficient RAM, your computer will run slowly.  But if you have sufficient RAM, just adding more won't speed it up.  If you never use more than three GB of RAM and you have four, adding more RAM won't do anything.  You already have 1GB that is free at all times.  I often see people say, the more RAM, the faster your machine will run.

Memory is one of the most widely misunderstood technical aspects of computers and I've seen more nonsense about RAM than about any other technical aspect of computers.  The more memory the better?  How can more memory speed up a computer that already has free memory when you are just adding more that won't be used.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:49 PM

Gene

Gene

Gene