Topics

is there a short cut key for Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi guys

Just a curiosity question I know in the nvda settings under general there is the  setting in the general section.

called Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)  I was wondering if there is a short cut to turn it on or off.

or would NVDA have to have admin rights of which it may not  unless that box is checked ?

The reason I am asking this question is as follows

I was reading under a FAQ page  with both narrator and nvda installed on a network that on some certain systems you had to log into the windows log on screen with narrator then it would turn its self off then you could start up NVDA.

Is that because narrator would have some type of other privilege that nvda does not?

I asked the question to the person after I read it to the people involved.

But just wanted to find out from this side or if a shortcut could be assigned? It is on a public network so i am guessing it would be a security risk?

Gene nz

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

When i asked the person about what I read using narrator to sign in first on the windows log on screen then turning on nvda they gave the following answer below.

From my perspective, as someone who manages computer desktops, having the ability to turn NVDA on at the Windows log on screen would be incredibly useful.  One of the reasons is that in our environment the computers are shared and are set up identically.
There are so many different scenarios on how a public computer is setup up and what functionality is locked down, including
·         Automatically logged in with “full desktop” including Windows Search & all programs start menu
·         Automatically logged in with “kiosk” mode EG might just have a web browser running full screen, no desktop no keyboard shortcuts
·         Windows logon required - then any of the above type of desktop or a hybrid of the two
·         And of course full desktop PCs versus terminals running windows remote desktop sessions, or Citrix sessions, on a server
Getting NVDA to work in the above environments shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for IT departments if they are given the mandate - which is what you are all about doing. Gene nz

On 20/12/2018 10:24 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

No, the only way to do that is have all computers continuously running nvda at startup.

It may be easier to login then start nvda on a desktop.

I am not sure if nvda can be started after login but only for certain user profiles.

But assuming thats the case, using narator to login and having nvda start on the profiles that have it active would be fine.

For full desktops.

For remote sessions locked down web pages etc, as an admin especially if you can't do anything with it, the easiest way would be to have something or a way to connect remotely to those services or simply previde a way to do it away from location.

But suppose you needed it again.

Assuming you had profiles for those sessions, those accounts would have to have nvda running on them.

It would be easier in my view to have terminals assigned for the blind to use or for those that don't need sound, nvda running all the time but with sound off and all you would have to do is turn on speaker etc.

The easiest option would be in that case for speech users similar to the eft pos terminals at banks.

Plug in a set of headphones and go nuts, now I realise that this is a real pain in the rear end as you will need a set of phones.

I have often done banking but I always manage to forget headsets and don't carry them about.

For a locked down terminal, like a site or a certain program, as an admin I'd feel comfortable previding connection info for that device knowing you couldn't do anything with it.

However it is my opinion for the remote units and resources including locked down websites and net based web portals to allow those that need access to them a way to do that from their own devices is probably better and more managible than well doing it on a terminal.

If security is that of a big deal, you would need to obtain a session login which would last as long as you were physically on location, once you logged out, everything including that image of the system especially if it was for something would be lost or changed daily.

With some of these remote systems you can get access for something, then reformat and kill the instance and bring it back when you needed it.

However if you did that one assumes you would have to  have images of instances to use.

I know about some of this and how it works but have never done it myself.

To be honest though I rarely do any work on a terminal at location, if I can I do it on my own device via an interface or something.

The other way is to have some sort of roming profile, each member that needs it would have their account setup with what they needed, and that would be that.

I havn't done anything with nvda on a network server but for jaws something like this would work, nvda isn't jaws but there is no reason why you couldn't have it always running on a server and access to services for it for certain things.

On 12/20/2018 10:42 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi

When i asked the person about what I read using narrator to sign in first on the windows log on screen then turning on nvda they gave the following answer below.

From my perspective, as someone who manages computer desktops, having the ability to turn NVDA on at the Windows log on screen would be incredibly useful. One of the reasons is that in our environment the computers are shared and are set up identically.

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]

[Image NVDA certified expert]