fore some reason nvda isn't talking when I'm using my keyboard

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I don’t know what happened but all of a sudden my keyboard on my tablet doesn’t seem to work with nvda. I press a key, like the windows key, and nvda is completely silent. It is silent when I press any key on the keyboard.  The only way  nvda talks  is if I use the mouse.

I don’t know what I did, but I am so stupid. I am just too dumb to ever be a good nvda user. Is there a way to force the machine to restart? I am feeling completely incompetent.

Hey, first, don't worry. This how computers work, I guess. Sometimes it just runs out of our control, but there's always a solution whatever your problem is.
Considering you said that no keys are being interpreted by NVDA, it would be like shoot in the dark, but you can try:
Windows+R
Type "shutdown -r" (without the quotes).
It will restart your system, I guess.
Hope this helps and please let me know if so.
P.S.: Don't give up on NVDA, I'm sure you'll be able to deal with it through the time.
Em 21/12/2018 22:19, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I don�t know what happened but all of a sudden my keyboard on my tablet doesn�t seem to work with nvda. I press a key, like the windows key, and nvda is completely silent. It is silent when I press any key on the keyboard. �The only way �nvda talks �is if I use the mouse.

I don�t know what I did, but I am so stupid. I am just too dumb to ever be a good nvda user. Is there a way to force the machine to restart? I am feeling completely incompetent.

I forgot to mention, before restarting your system unnecessarily, it's always good trying to restart NVDA itself and see what happens.
Em 21/12/2018 22:27, marcio via Groups.Io escreveu:

[...]

Thanks. I’ll try that. I first have to figure out how to get out of the lock screen first.

[...]

If you aren't able to pass the lockscreen, why not restart the computer manually? That is, pressing the button that turns the computer on/off for some time will restart the system, anyway.

�

Hey, first, don't worry. This how computers work, I guess. Sometimes it just runs out of our control, but there's always a solution whatever your problem is.
Considering you said that no keys are being interpreted by NVDA, it would be like shoot in the dark, but you can try:
Windows+R
Type "shutdown -r" (without the quotes).
It will restart your system, I guess.
Hope this helps and please let me know if so.
P.S.: Don't give up on NVDA, I'm sure you'll be able to deal with it through the time.

�

Cheers,
Marcio

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter
Follow or add me on Facebook
Ask me something on CuriousCat

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

My WhatsApp

Em 21/12/2018 22:19, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I don�t know what happened but all of a sudden my keyboard on my tablet doesn�t seem to work with nvda. I press a key, like the windows key, and nvda is completely silent. It is silent when I press any key on the keyboard. �The only way �nvda talks �is if I use the mouse.

I don�t know what I did, but I am so stupid. I am just too dumb to ever be a good nvda user. Is there a way to force the machine to restart? I am feeling completely incompetent.

�

Tyler Spivey

Don't be too discouraged, breaking things is quite normal.

If this is a tablet with a separate keyboard, maybe Bluetooth was turned
off, the batteries died or the keyboard was turned off. Tab should at
least do something, or pressing any other key should interrupt NVDA from
speaking. If nothing happens even after reboot, we can figure it out
from there.

Here's how to power off your tablet.
1. Try pressing the power button. If that doesn't start the process,
maybe things aren't set up to work that way, or something is preventing
it from working.
2. The next thing to try would be a hard power off. This depends on the
machine, but generally holding power for at least 5 seconds will do it.
This doesn't give Windows a chance to shut down properly and save your
work, so I generally only do this if I can't easily shut it down any
other way.
After that, just power it on normally.

On 12/21/2018 4:19 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
Hey guys, Molly here again.

I don’t know what happened but all of a sudden my keyboard on my tablet
doesn’t seem to work with nvda. I press a key, like the windows key, and
nvda is completely silent. It is silent when I press any key on the
keyboard.  The only way  nvda talks  is if I use the mouse.

I don’t know what I did, but I am so stupid. I am just too dumb to ever
be a good nvda user. Is there a way to force the machine to restart? I
am feeling completely incompetent.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
I am using a Microsoft surface go. Got it a month ago. I'll try holding down
the power button. Could this problem have anything to do with the fact that
in nvda settings I checked the box that said guess the position of objects
when unavailable? I really hope I didn't break my machine by mistake. I
don't know why, but I feel so mad that I suck at using nvda. I probably did
something stupid.

[...]

I’ll try that. But when my sighted friend tried that it said slide to shut down. She tried that and it didn’t work.

[...]

There is no way to manually force this Microsoft surface tablet to shut
down. I guess I'll have to go to the Microsoft store. Maybe they can fix it.

[...]

Gene

Just press the power button and release it after a moment.  That is the standard way to shut down Windows without using the keyboard or mouse.

Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 6:27 PM

[...]

The message says that NVdA only speaks when the mouse is used.  It's running.  Evidently, the keyboard has stopped functioning, which happens now and then.

Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 6:29 PM

[...]

the keyboard magnetically attaches to the machine. if it happens again i'll disconnect it and reconnect it again.

Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 6:29 PM

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I'm used to braking things. In fact as part of any beta program or usign any software I find ways to brake it then ask the devs to fix. lol!

On 21 Dec 2018, at 16:38, Tyler Spivey wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Weird that sounds almost like an Apple prompt!
You sure you don't get anything, you might have just turned off keyboard echo.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'll try that. But when my sighted friend tried that it said slide to shut
down. She tried that and it didn't work.

If you aren't able to pass the lockscreen, why not restart the computer
manually? That is, pressing the button that turns the computer on/off for
some time will restart the system, anyway.

_____

Cheers,
Marcio

_____

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email <mailto:marcinhorj21@yahoo.com.br>
Add me on Skype <skype:marcinhorj666?add>
Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>
Ask me something on CuriousCat <https://curiouscat.me/firirinfonfon>

_____

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

_____

My WhatsApp <https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=5521981615268>

_____

[...]

No that will merely speak stuff that could be wrong, not really an issue.
Just hold the button for maybe a second, that should do a restart, if you do it longer it might force a not very nice shutdown.
[...]

Oh there will be...

1. Press and hold the power button until the screen turns off (about 10 seconds), then release the power button.
2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Microsoft logo.
If that doesn't work, use this shutdown process to make sure your Surface completely turns off. Here's how:
Press and hold down the power button until your Surface restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (this takes about 20 seconds), then release the power button.
Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro
1. Press and hold the power button for a full 10 seconds, until the screen turns off, then release the power button.
Note
On some Surface models, the screen may immediately turn off when pressing the power button. If this happens, continue to hold for the full 10 seconds and then release.
2. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Surface logo.
If that doesn't work, use this two-button shutdown process to make sure your Surface completely turns off. Here's how:
1. Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
2.
Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
3. After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
4. Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on. You should see the Surface logo.
Surface 3, Surface 2, and Surface RT
[...]

Jacob Kruger

Try connecting a physical keyboard, if that's possible?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2018-12-22 3:06 AM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
[...]

Yes I'm pretty good at that too. I've broken apples finance system recently.
[...]

Well the touchscreen worked.

[...]

It sucks that these surface devices have these issues.