I am really loving Nvda's object navigation

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I just like to say that I really like Nvda’s way of navigating objects. It is great to be able to press Nvda plus shift and the arrow keys to explore items on the screen I never thought were there. I am fascinated by how it works. It actually reminds me of how VoiceOver works on the Mac, but I don’t want to get in to that.

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

David Moore

Yes!

That is why I love NVDA so much!

You can get to every element on the screen whether it be a toolbar, a button on the toolbar, or what ever!

It is beautiful to have the Golden cursor add-on to navigate with the mouse as well!

Go NVDA!

Have a great holiday everyone!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, December 24, 2018 9:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] I am really loving Nvda's object navigation

I just like to say that I really like Nvda’s way of navigating objects. It is great to be able to press Nvda plus shift and the arrow keys to explore items on the screen I never thought were there. I am fascinated by how it works. It actually reminds me of how VoiceOver works on the Mac, but I don’t want to get in to that.

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hey Molly,

That’s pretty cool!

Haven’t tried out the laptop layout yet, but glad I have a Bluetooth keyboard to test this out!

Merry Christmas!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2018 4:13 PM

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hi.

Happy holidays.

I’ve not tried the golden cursor yet, but it sounds interesting. My goal is to be able to use object navigation in all my favorite apps, word, outlook, etc. It’ll probably make navigating them much easier. It really is neat.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I am really loving Nvda's object navigation

Yes!

You can get to every element on the screen whether it be a toolbar, a button on the toolbar, or what ever!

It is beautiful to have the Golden cursor add-on to navigate with the mouse as well!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hello.

Happy holidays.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keao Wright
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 3:34 AM

Hey Molly,

That’s pretty cool!

Haven’t tried out the laptop layout yet, but glad I have a Bluetooth keyboard to test this out!

Merry Christmas!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind tech lover
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2018 4:13 PM

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hi,

One important thing to remember: I recommend using object navigation for cases where you can’t navigate with a keyboard. Object navigation commands (and for that matter, Golden Cursor add-on) won’t replace the value of using keyboard commands (let’s not go into Golden Cursor add-on, as it is way different than object navigation). Part of what makes NvDA useful (or for that matter, any screen reader useful) is distinguishing when different methods are appropriate.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:09 AM

Hi.

Happy holidays.

I’ve not tried the golden cursor yet, but it sounds interesting. My goal is to be able to use object navigation in all my favorite apps, word, outlook, etc. It’ll probably make navigating them much easier. It really is neat.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Gene

However, there are times when screen review provides access to the same things and is more convenient to use.  Object navigation can provide access to things at times that screen review can't. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:47 AM

Hi,

One important thing to remember: I recommend using object navigation for cases where you can’t navigate with a keyboard. Object navigation commands (and for that matter, Golden Cursor add-on) won’t replace the value of using keyboard commands (let’s not go into Golden Cursor add-on, as it is way different than object navigation). Part of what makes NvDA useful (or for that matter, any screen reader useful) is distinguishing when different methods are appropriate.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Gene

I should also remind people that if you use screen review, you should always remember to set NVDA back to object review afterwards.  If you don't, some methods of moving won't work as expected.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:54 AM

However, there are times when screen review provides access to the same things and is more convenient to use.  Object navigation can provide access to things at times that screen review can't. 

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hi,

As I said multiple times before, screen review won’t work in newer apps, but I do agree that in some cases, screen review is helpful for some tasks.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:55 AM

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Gene

I don't use apps because I don't use versions of Windows newer than Windows 7.  But in standard applications, screen review, the equivalent of the JAWS cursor, can be more convenient and intuitive.  I don't know how many people following this thread use screen review but I think they both should be known.

Screen review is very easy to explain in terms of how you switch to it and use it and I will discuss it if people want to know.

Gene

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:56 AM

Hi,

As I said multiple times before, screen review won’t work in newer apps, but I do agree that in some cases, screen review is helpful for some tasks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Sarah k Alawami

I never use screen review, I alwyas use object nav as for me I can get around and skip windows I don't want to see. the laptop layout even though I'm using a full sized keyboard as it just feels more like mac os for me.

On 25 Dec 2018, at 7:11, Gene wrote:

I don't use apps because I don't use versions of Windows newer than Windows 7.  But in standard applications, screen review, the equivalent of the JAWS cursor, can be more convenient and intuitive.  I don't know how many people following this thread use screen review but I think they both should be known.

Screen review is very easy to explain in terms of how you switch to it and use it and I will discuss it if people want to know.

Gene
Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hey guys?

What is screen review? I’ve never heard of it.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:47 PM

I never use screen review, I alwyas use object nav as for me I can get around and skip windows I don't want to see. the laptop layout even though I'm using a full sized keyboard as it just feels more like mac os for me.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Molly,

I think screen review is a way to get around the screen when you can’t do it with just regular keystrokes.

Rosemarie

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 9:53 AM

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Gene, please discuss it. I, for one, some of us do not know.
Nevzat

On 12/25/18, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Molly,

I think screen review is a way to get around the screen when you can’t do it
with just regular keystrokes.

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k
Alawami

I never use screen review, I alwyas use object nav as for me I can get
around and skip windows I don't want to see. the laptop layout even though
I'm using a full sized keyboard as it just feels more like mac os for me.
I don't use apps because I don't use versions of Windows newer than Windows
7.  But in standard applications, screen review, the equivalent of the JAWS
cursor, can be more convenient and intuitive.  I don't know how many people
following this thread use screen review but I think they both should be
known.

Screen review is very easy to explain in terms of how you switch to it and
use it and I will discuss it if people want to know.

Gene
Gene

Hi,
As I said multiple times before, screen review won’t work in newer apps, but
I do agree that in some cases, screen review is helpful for some tasks.
Cheers,
Joseph

However, there are times when screen review provides access to the same
things and is more convenient to use.  Object navigation can provide access
to things at times that screen review can't.

Gene

Hi,
One important thing to remember: I recommend using object navigation for
cases where you can’t navigate with a keyboard. Object navigation commands
(and for that matter, Golden Cursor add-on) won’t replace the value of using
keyboard commands (let’s not go into Golden Cursor add-on, as it is way
different than object navigation). Part of what makes NvDA useful (or for
that matter, any screen reader useful) is distinguishing when different
methods are appropriate.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of molly the blind
tech lover

Hi.
Happy holidays.
I’ve not tried the golden cursor yet, but it sounds interesting. My goal is
to be able to use object navigation in all my favorite apps, word, outlook,
etc. It’ll probably make navigating them much easier. It really is neat.

Yes!
You can get to every element on the screen whether it be a toolbar, a button
on the toolbar, or what ever!
It is beautiful to have the Golden cursor add-on to navigate with the mouse
as well!
Go NVDA!

I just like to say that I really like Nvda’s way of navigating objects. It
is great to be able to press Nvda plus shift and the arrow keys to explore
items on the screen I never thought were there. I am fascinated by how it
works. It actually reminds me of how VoiceOver works on the Mac, but I don’t
want to get in to that.
Anyway, it’s very cool.
Happy Holidays

Hi.

I’ll have to try screen review. Although I must to admit, I don’t know how to use it. I’ll check out the Nvda user guide.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:56 PM

Hi, Molly,

I think screen review is a way to get around the screen when you can’t do it with just regular keystrokes.

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Rosemarie Chavarria

I’ll try checking the user guide too.

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 4:02 PM

Hi.

I’ll have to try screen review. Although I must to admit, I don’t know how to use it. I’ll check out the Nvda user guide.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Molly,

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Hi all,

For anyone wishing to write a tutorial or two on review modes, I highly recommend going over what review cursor is, how it works and how it can be used before talking about three different review modes/scopes (object, document, screen). Also, please don’t tell people that screen review can be used everywhere – I and others have given countless proofs to the contrary.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:52 PM

Hi.

Hi, Molly,

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Robert Mendoza

Speaking of I dig around in the Users guide about screen review.

I found this here is the snippets below.

5.6.3. Screen Review

The screen review mode allows you to review the text of the screen as it appears visually within the current application. This is similar to the screen review or mouse cursor functionality in many other Windows screen readers.
When switching to screen review mode, the review cursor is placed at the screen position of the current navigator object. When moving around the screen with review commands, the navigator object is automatically updated to the object found at the screen position of the review cursor.
Note that in some newer applications, NVDA may not see some or all text displayed on the screen due to the use of newer screen drawing technologies which are impossible to support at this time.

My question is how do you run with this screen review? Care to share how to give details for it. Thanks!

On 12/26/2018 10:51 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi.

Hi, Molly,

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:07 PM

Speaking of I dig around in the Users guide about screen review.

I found this here is the snippets below.

5.6.3. Screen Review

The screen review mode allows you to review the text of the screen as it appears visually within the current application. This is similar to the screen review or mouse cursor functionality in many other Windows screen readers.
When switching to screen review mode, the review cursor is placed at the screen position of the current navigator object. When moving around the screen with review commands, the navigator object is automatically updated to the object found at the screen position of the review cursor.
Note that in some newer applications, NVDA may not see some or all text displayed on the screen due to the use of newer screen drawing technologies which are impossible to support at this time.

My question is how do you run with this screen review? Care to share how to give details for it. Thanks!

On 12/26/2018 10:51 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi.

Hi, Molly,

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays

Gene

It can't be used everywhere but there are times when it is the most easy and intuitive way to move around a screen.  I may write some information about review mode tomorrow.  I don't think it will require much explanation.  I don't know what Lee already wrote about it in the tutorial he did.  I may see if I have it and give the topic for people to listen to.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 8:58 PM

Hi all,

For anyone wishing to write a tutorial or two on review modes, I highly recommend going over what review cursor is, how it works and how it can be used before talking about three different review modes/scopes (object, document, screen). Also, please don’t tell people that screen review can be used everywhere – I and others have given countless proofs to the contrary.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:52 PM

Hi.

Hi, Molly,

Rosemarie

Hey guys?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi.

Happy holidays.

Yes!

Go NVDA!

Anyway, it’s very cool.

Happy Holidays