NVDA going silent.

MAX <max@...>

I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to keep
NVDA from speaking. It does that all the time to me although I don't want
it too. I have found that if I am running two or more programs in windows
10 that at some random time after starting the second program that NVDA
will go silent. No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
laryngitis. So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
control alt N to restart it. Is there a quicker way to start it talking
again?

73 (Regards).

Max. K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@maxsmusicplace.com

Vacuum Tube Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Actually if you toggle it to sleep mode and turn off typing letters its actually able to work for you if you run long passages as long as you don't hit control

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well, I found on my windows 7 machine that this effect is very synth depended. Any Microsoft one has the issue, but cntrl alt del to lock the computer seems to speak and if you then cancel it often comes back to life, from which I deduce this might be a windows issue of some kind.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Pramit

Yes, I too face the same problem of NVDA dozing off when I really need it to talk.

Pramit

On 12/26/2018 7:17 AM, MAX wrote:
[...]

I don't understand what you mean by sleep mode. I turned off character speak using nvda key 2 but it didn't keep it from going into its silent mode. It's in it right now. I hope this message will make sense as I am not getting any beeping feedback. Or reading of lines as I up and down arrow.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Gene

We don't know if there is a problem with speech or if the program stops running.  You can't assume that just because speech stops, that the problem is with speech.  When this happens, run Narrator or another screen-reader.  Then try opening the NVDA menu.  Does the menu open?  If so, the problem has something to do with speech while NVDA is running.  It may be a synthesizer problem or it may be an NVDA problem.  If the menu doesn't open, then NVDA is no longer running which is an entirely different problem.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

It's getting even weirder because the nvda key is having no effect. I'm going to close and restart NVDA now. Now I can turn typed characters off and on. I couldn't do that before restarting. When I pressed nvda key 2 all I would get was 2. After restarting it seems well again. Since no one came up with another solution I guess restarting is the only one.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
[...]

I can’t get it to do it now but the next time it happens I’ll try that.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Sim Kah Yong

Hi, I have similar problem with NVDA from the earlier to the latest version. I go to NVDA >Preference >  Setting> Bbraille> Braille display, set to  No braille,  I never encounter the problem of NVDA crashing on me any more. Hope this help. Please try it out and report back.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
[...]

I changed the setting to no braille. We'll see if that changes anything.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Hi, I have similar problem with NVDA from the earlier to the latest version. I go to NVDA >Preference > Setting> Bbraille> Braille display, set to No braille, I never encounter the problem of NVDA crashing on me any more. Hope this help. Please try it out and report back.

On 27/12/2018 12:17 AM, MAX wrote:
It's getting even weirder because the nvda key is having no effect. I'm going to close and restart NVDA now. Now I can turn typed characters off and on. I couldn't do that before restarting. When I pressed nvda key 2 all I would get was 2. After restarting it seems well again. Since no one came up with another solution I guess restarting is the only one.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site:

h tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

It happened just now.  When I pressed nvda key + N the menu came up.  I arrowed around the menu and speech came back on.  So there is another way to restore it.  The two programs I had running were outlook 2013 and internet explorer.  Chrome has become unusable because of the popups Which are greater in number every time I open it.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Gene

I seem to recall we may have discussed popups with Chrome before.  I think its adware.  I don't recall hearing about what you are discussing in Chrome in cases other than adware.

If you don't want to investigate that problem, then it would be a good good idea to start using Firefox.  If you can use Internet Explorer and if it works properly on the sites you want to use, you may want to just use it for now, but over time, Internet Explorer will work with increasingly fewer sites.

Gene

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

David Goldfield

In Chrome, there is a setting to block pop-ups which should be on by default. It might be helpful to access your Chrome settings just to ensure that the setting is set to blocking popups.

1. When in Chrome, press alt-F for the Chrome menu.

2. Press S for Settings.

3. Activate the Advanced button.

4. Activate the Content Settings button.

5. Look for the Popup button or you could press insert-ctrl-F to bring up the NVDA find dialog and type the word "pop" without the quotes. Make sure that it is set to "blocked."

If popups still occur could you tell us a little more about the type of pages which are appearing? Does this behavior happen when you're viewing specific sites?

If the problem occurs more often than not I do think that it would be very good to perform a scan of your system to see if any malware has been detected. Which antivirus or antimalware programs do you use? For a second opinion I'd recommend installing the free version of MalwareBytes to see if it detects anything.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Peter Beasley

I use Chrome all the time and never get any popups.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

Yes, we had a discussion about popups in Chrome and I set the option to no popups with no results.  I also installed a popup blocker but it didn’t do anything to solve the problem.  The last time I tried Firefox I couldn’t find any kind of menu navigation.  Without that I couldn’t set it as the default browser or import bookmarks.  Also I don’t think it has a favorites bar which I use all the time.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

Popups are set to block.

Each popup begins with message from google chrome.

Some examples I can remember are,

1.        do this before going to bed and burn fat overnight

2.       Get whiter teeth.

3.       New rule in somewhere south Carolina  has drivers upset.

Each one was repeated several times.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Sarah k Alawami

Looks like malware on your system. Have you done any scanns with any apps you have to detect this?

Take care

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Brice Mijares

Max, have you ever took a look of the following tutorial
By David Moore
This tutorial will be done with the latest update of Chrome.
I will also use JAWS 18 and NVDA 2017.2for this tutorial, because they both work the same in Chrome.
Finally, I will use Windows 10 Creators Update latest public build.
I will assume that you have downloaded and installed Chrome.
There should be a shortcut on your desktop.

Section One:
Launching Chrome:
One way to Launch Chrome, is to press the Windows key or CTRL+Escape and type Chrome in the search edit field, and press enter when you hear JAWS say Chrome.
However, since you have already downloaded Chrome, You will have a shortcut icon on your desktop.
So next, find the shortcut for Chrome on your desktop, and press enter to open Chrome.
The short cut will actually say Google Chrome, so press G to find the Google Chrome icon on your desktop.
The first very important step, is to press Windows+up arrow to maximise the window. Chrome often opens with the window not maximise, and you will get undesirable results.

Section Two:
Bringing up a web site.
Press CTRL+L or Alt+D
and type the following:
www.freedomscientific.com
The Freedom Scientific web site comes up very quickly.
All navigation commands like: H for heading, E for edit field, C for combo box, and so on all work just the same in Chrome.

Section Three:
The Virticle Chrome menu:
I will press the Alt key.
The Chrome menu is open.
This is a very large virticle menu that you just keep pressing up and down arrow through.
I will press insert+up arrow to hear the first option in this menu.
New Tab, CTRL+T.
You can press that command right from the web site you are on.
New Window, CTRL+N
You can press these commands right from your web page, instead of coming here.
New incognito Window.
History sub menu.
I will press right arrow here to see what is in this sub menu!
History, CTRL+H
So, there is a key command for reading your history.
You can read a few sites you were on right here.
I will press left arrow to close this history sub menu.
Downloads, CTRL+J
There is the command for opening your downloads you have downloaded with Chrome.
Next, the important Bookmarks sub menu.
I will press right arrow, to open this.
I hear, bookmark this page, CTRL+D
That command will bookmark the page you are reading.
Next down arrow, says show bookmarks bar, CTRL+Shift+B
That command, will show your bookmarks on your Chrome browser for all to see. I do not want that.
Here is the important one.
manage bookmarks
The command is, CTRL+Shift+O
In here, you can organize your bookmarks into folders, see the bookmarks you have imported from different browsers, and very importantly, you can download, to your computer, an HTML file of all of your bookmarks in Chrome.
On your computer, you can press enter on this file, after it downloads, and a page will show up in Chrome with a list of all bookmarks you have saved in Chrome. This is an awesome way to download all of your bookmarks right to your computer, so you can back them up.
That is all for manage bookmarks.
Next, I hear import bookmarks and settings.
press enter on this, and you can import all bookmarks and settings from IE, and Firefox, right into Google Chrome, and they will be in their corresponding folders.
Now, I hear all of my saved bookmarks as I continue to arrow down.
Very important!
Sometimes, when I open that bookmarks sub menu, I do not land on the choices I mension here, but instead, I start hearing my saved bookmarks. If this happens, I press up arrow a few times, and it gets me to these choices.
Keep in mind, that many of these choices, like bookmark manager, have key commands, so you do not have to come to this bookmarks sub menu at all. You only need to come here most of the time, to arrow through your saved bookmarks, and enter on the desired one.
To save a web site as a bookmark,
Just press CTRL+D and press enter, and your bookmark is saved.
I will now press left arrow, to close the Bookmarks sub menu!
I will continue to down arrow through this virticle Chrome menu that we entered by just pressing alt.
The next few are very self explanatory.
The next one I will mension, is the more tools submenu.
I will press right arrow on this.
I hear Save Page as, and the command, CTRL+S.
Next, Save to desktop.
This allows you to save the favorite of the page right to your desktop. This is how you do this in Chrome, instead of doing this in the file menu in IE.
It is hidden under this more tools submenu.
Clear Browsing data, and there is the key command, CTRL+Shift+Delete key.
Extentions, In here, you can add extentions, delete extentions and so on.
These are the same as add ons, in IE.
I will press left arrow, to close the More Tools sub menu, and we are back to the virticle Chrome menu.
The last two that I will mention, are settings, and the help sub menu.
If you press the left arrow on the help sub menu, you can open the help system, just like in other programs, so that is all I will say about help.
Now, we will press enter on settings, and a web like page will open where the virtual cursor will turn on with JAWS, and NVDA will be in Brows mode.

Section Four:
Adjusting Settings and Advanced settings:
Now that this web page is open, I will just down arrow down the page and we will deal with each setting.
Important:
I have already signed into Chrome.
So now, arrow down until you hear sign into Chrome and press enter.
You just enter your email address and password, I think it has to be the same email address and password that you used to set up your Google account.
I am not sure about this.
You do not need to sign into Chrome, if you do, you can sync all of your activity between all devices that you have Chrome on. That is the only advantage of signing in.
I will continue with what I hear after you have signed in.
If you do not sign in, press H until you hear Appearance.
Each group of settings is a heading that you can get to by pressing H. This makes it very easy, because you just press H until you hear the group of settings you want to work with.
Now, because I have signed in, this is what I hear before getting to appearance.
The first thing you hear:
Settings.
That is the very top of the web page.
Down arrow, and you hear:
Main Menu Button.
That will just take you back to the virticle menu we were in.
If you down arrow again, you will just hear blank.
Down arrow, again, and you hear:
Settings again, but now, this is a heading. You can get here just by pressing H at the top of the page.
If you down arrow, you hear:
Search Settings.
This is where you can type in a setting that you want to change.
Down arrow again, and there is the edit field where you type in the setting you want to work with.
Down arrow again, and you hear another heading saying people.
Down arrow again, and I hear David Clickable.
This is because I have already signed into Chrome.
Down arrow again, and I hear my Gmail email address.
Again, this is because I have already signed into Chrome to sync my settings and all of that.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Edit person.
This is where I could change my name.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Sign Out.
This is because I have already signed in to Chrome.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
Sync.
Down arrow again, and I hear:
On, Sync everything.
This is a combo box, where you can choose what to sinc; I chose everything in this combo box.
Again, all of this is because I have signed into Chrome already.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Sync button.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Manage other people clickable.
Don't worry about the clickables. There is a clickable for many things, but then there is the button you enter on right after that.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Manage other people button.
This is what you would press enter on to set up another user.
Down arrow again, and you hear:
Import bookmarks and settings Clickable:
Down arrow again, and you actually hear
Import bookmarks and settings button.
Here, you press enter and import all of your bookmarks and settings from other Browsers like IE.
This is another way of doing this, because remember,
We had a choice of manage bookmarks in the book marks sub menu in the virticle menu.
There is more than one place to do things in Chrome.
Now, we have a series of headings, that you can just press H for heading, to get to.
Now, we have gotten to the appearance heading. Down arrow and you hear:
themes, which I did nothing with.
Next, you can open the Chrome web store. You can get hundreds of extentions, and more.
Then, you hear Themes button.
Do nothing with this.
Next, you hear:
Show home clickable.
Just skip that.
There are many buttons that say clickable, and then there is a button that you actually press enter on to work with it.
Just work with the buttons, and skip over these vclickables.
Down arrow, and you have an edit box where you can put in your home page you want to get to by pressing Alt+Home.
Next, there is the home button toggle.
Press the spacebar to turn this on or off. If it is on, you can have the home button show at the top of the Chrome Window.
I have it checked.
Now, there are two radio buttons, and I chose the one to enter with a custom web address.
Search Heading:
We are at another heading, where you can set your search Engine.
There is a combo box below, and I set it to Chrome, because I like to have my searches from the address bar done with Crome instead of Bing.
Next heading:
Default Browser.
Here, you can choose weather you want Chrome to be your default browser or not.
Just leave this alone if you do not want Chrome to be your default browser.
Next Important heading:
On Start up.
Here is where you put in your URL that you want to show as soon as you start Chrome.
There are three radio buttons to pick from, but I chose to open with a specific page or pages, which is the third radio button.
Under this, you can type in the URL of the web site that you want to open when you start Chrome.
Under this, there is a link where you can add more pages you want to show when Chrome starts up.
Now, we are up to the search engin heading.
This is a heading.
There are headings on this settings page.
I chose to use Google search engin in the address bar. This is a combo box.
The next heading, is on start up.
Finally, here is where you set up your home page.
There are three radio buttons here.
I chose the third one, to open a selected page or selected pages.
Next, I was able to enter:
www.Google.Com.
That is my home page that will open each time I start Chrome.
Next important group of settings, the advanced settings.
Now, you have to press enter on the advanced settings button before more headings of settings will show.
The Advanced settings are collapsed, so you have to press enter to show more headings of settings.
Now that these advanced settings are open, we get to the next heading of settings.
There is much more we can customize under the advanced settings.
Privacy and security heading:
Down arrow from here, and you hear:
Use a web service to resolve navigation errors.
You have a clickable, and a toggle.
Press spacebar to toggle this on or off.
Again, ignore the clickables.
Now you have:
Use a prodiction service to enable you in searches.
I left this unchecked.
Next, you have a setting to speed up the loading of web pages:
I checked this with spacebar.
The next three settings I just left alone.
I checked the one that says:
Use a web service to help with spelling.
I leave manage certificates alone.
Next, you have content settings, but this is not a new heading.
We are still working with the same heading.
The only thing of interest here, is the clear history button.
This was available in the virtical menu, so don't worry about this.
Now, we get to the next heading of settings.
Passwords and forms:
Under this heading, just make sure that you check to be able to have Chrome save passwords.
Languages Heading:
I did nothing with this.
Downloads heading:
This is where you choose where you want your downloads to be saved on your computer.
Printing heading:
I did nothing with this.
Accessibility heading:
I did nothing with this.
Now, we have the System heading:
Down arrow, and you hear:
Continue running background apps, when Google Chrome is Closed.
I have this unchecked.
Next,
Use hard ware excelloration when Available.
I have this checked.
Next, you hear:
Open proxy settings button.
I left this alone.
Last Heading LOL!
Reset.
Here, you can reset all settings back to their origional.
We are done with Settings.
Now, just press CTRL+F4 to get back to the Freedom Scientific Web site.
This settings web page, opens in another tab.
That is it for settings.
Notice, we made a lot of changes under the advanced settings. You cannot see these, unless you press enter to expand these.
Now, press the Alt key again. Up arrow once to get to the end of the menu where we were with the settings.
You see exit, up arrow and you see the help sub menu, right under the settings choice.
I press right arrow on this help sub menu, and you can enter on the help center to get a lot of help using Chrome.
To open a web site, just press CTRL+L or Alt+D and type the URL.
Chrome for me, is so much quicker with web sites that involve streamming TV and Watching movies, and so on.
For me, Chrome opens large news sites very quickly compared to IE.
Lastly, All JAWS and NVDA navigation key commands work in Chrome. For example, you can press F7 to open a list of links with JAWS, and the elements list with NVDA. All of that is the exact same.
This is the end of the tutorial.

<mailto:funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io>

> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io <mailto:funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io>

Gene

What you are describing regarding popups are all signs of adware.  Chrome has its own popup blocker and adware can show popups anyway.  If you install a popup blocker, adware can show popups.

Firefox has menus.  If you pressed alt and no menus came up, the browser was set to full screen.  If a program has a full screen setting and its on, you can't bring up menus because the entire screen is used for the displayed content.  Sighted people wouldn't see menus either.  To put the program back to normal, press f11.  That is the standard key in Windows programs to toggle between full screen on and off.  Full screen isn't the same as maximizing a program.  You can maximize a program with no problems.

As far as a bookmark bar is concerned, if you mean the one in Chrome you can get to with f6, there isn't one in Firefox.  But Firefox works very well with bookmarks.  Use control b and you will bring up a bookmarks menu very similar to that in internet Explorer.  There is also a very good search bookmarks feature in firefox.  I won't explain that in this message but I will if you want to try it.

On 12/26/2018 2:47 PM, MAX wrote:
> I got a wry smile out of the recent thread from people who wanted to
> keep NVDA from speaking.  It does that all the time to me although I
> don't want it too. I have found that if I am running two or more
> programs in windows
> 10 that at some random time after starting the second program that
> NVDA will go silent.  No amount of tabbing or arrowing will cure its case of
> laryngitis.   So far the only way I can restore its voice is to press
> control alt N to restart it.  Is there a quicker way to start it
> talking again?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>
> Max.  K 4 O DS.
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
> Email: max@...
>
> Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
> Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
> Woodworking site:
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.h
> tml Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com
>
> To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
> Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
> funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io
>
> To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
> funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

I have the paid version of Malware bytes.  I also have windows defender turned on for what it’s worth.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.