Weather.zipcodes: My own Customization

Ron Canazzi

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN!

Hi Group,

By popular demand, here are my customized listings of 133 cities from my own version of the Weather Add On for NVDA. Keep in mind, my perspective is United States based. I have many US cities and some of the more important world capitals.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g9lrj0

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Andrea Sherry

Thanks heaps for this.

So where did you get the information to make up this file in the first place. May be some of us could add to this.

Cheers from Australia

Andrea

On 13/10/2016 12:29 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN!

Hi Group,

By popular demand, here are my customized listings of 133 cities from my own version of the Weather Add On for NVDA. Keep in mind, my perspective is United States based. I have many US cities and some of the more important world capitals.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g9lrj0

--
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Brad

Ron Canazzi

Hi Andrea,

I did it one by one from within Weather Plus Add On.

On 10/12/2016 2:27 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
Thanks heaps for this.

So where did you get the information to make up this file in the first place. May be some of us could add to this.

Cheers from Australia

Andrea

On 13/10/2016 12:29 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN!

Hi Group,

By popular demand, here are my customized listings of 133 cities from my own version of the Weather Add On for NVDA. Keep in mind, my perspective is United States based. I have many US cities and some of the more important world capitals.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g9lrj0

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Andrea Sherry

Now that is doing it the hard way <roflol>!

Cheers

Andrea

On 13/10/2016 5:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Well, what can I say. I type fairly fast and once you get used to the method of adding a city, it only takes about 30 seconds to add each one. I think it took me an hour and a half to add all those cities.

On 10/12/2016 5:40 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
[...]

Adriano Barbieri

Hi Ron,

1 hour?... 8-O
Maybe I did not understand, but sorry, it was not easier to use the import button the new city?

[...]

Hi Adriano,

Is there some sort of master list somewhere of all the zip codes in the world? If so, I haven't seen it. Where is it and how do I get it?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...>
[...]

Antony Stone

ZIP codes only exist in the United States.

They're assigned by the United States Postal Service.

Other countries may (or may not) have systems based on a similar concept, but
the codes themselves can be quite different (for example British Postcodes use
letters as well as numbers), and the sizes of areas covered by each code can
vary considerably (for example British Postcodes are often specific to a single
street, whereas German Postleitzahl cover quite large areas of a city).

Antony.

On Thursday 13 October 2016 at 13:09:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Adriano,

Is there some sort of master list somewhere of all the zip codes in the
world? If so, I haven't seen it. Where is it and how do I get it?
--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Anthony,

I am well aware of the zip code/postal code differentiation. My response was to a question from Adriano concerning why I didn't import the postal codes or Yahoo Weather designations from a weather.zipcodes file. I asked him if there was some sort of master list.

On 10/13/2016 7:27 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

Ah, okay.

In that case how about https://weather.codes/italy

Just change the name of country at the end (always in lower case, and
hyphenated if it's something like https://weather.codes/new-zealand/ ) and you
can get a list of all cities which have codes in that country.

I'm not sure whether there's a list of all the countries covered by this
system, though.

Antony.

On Thursday 13 October 2016 at 15:16:38, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Antony,

[...]

I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

- Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Adriano Barbieri

Hi Ron,

Honestly, I have never felt the need to upload an entire list of cities
Personally I try and add only those that I really need. :)
Regards

This listing at https://weather.codes/united-states-of-america/ gives entirely different weather codes than are listed in the Weather Plus Add on. I don't quite understand. None of the ones I type in show anything accurate.

On 10/13/2016 9:22 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

Oh, okay - you said you wanted Yahoo Weather designations, and this list
claims to be compatible with Yahoo Weather, AOL Weather, The Weather Channel,
plus others.

Sorry if it didn't turn out to be useful.

Antony.

On Thursday 13 October 2016 at 19:34:56, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes - they are "zero rated".
Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as "luxury items" and are
subject to VAT. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991 this
was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in court.

The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to
class something as a cake or a biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification
of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by arguing that cakes go hard when stale, whereas
biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale
and McVitie's won the case.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Adriano Barbieri

Hi Ron,

The reason for this is described in the documentation of Weather Plus.
WP from version 3.9 no longer supports the old codes alphanumeric 8 characters of the type ITXX0027 and so on, but use the new codes WoeId.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOEID

Regards
Adriano