Issues with dropbox.

John Isige

Well just one issue really, so far.

I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want to remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign into dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder name, then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into dropbox.com, I click files.

I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but if I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder in question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being part of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is on Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20 minutes ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

Gene

You don't have to remove yourself that way.  I don't recall the exact procedure and I'd have to experiment to figure it out again.

Try the following and see what happens.
Move to the folder in the desktop application.
Open the context menu.
Find share and press enter.
Then, wait a moment and press enter again.
/Wait for a few seconds.  Then press enter again if nothing happens.
If still nothing happens, wait a few seconds and then press enter again.

Let us know if you are removed while repeating this procedure.
If I need to, I can experiment again.

After you are successful or not successful, see if you can close the program with alt f4.  If you can't, alt tab around until you are in the Dropbox main window.  You should be able to close the program there.

I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want to
remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign into
dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder name,
then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into
dropbox.com, I click files.

I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more
actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but if
I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder in
question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being part
of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is on
Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20 minutes
ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

Sarah k Alawami

Why not remove the folder from the dropbox folder on your hard drive. You will then be removed rom the share. I've done this for a while and it works well.

On 29 Dec 2018, at 16:27, John Isige wrote:

Well just one issue really, so far.

I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want to remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign into dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder name, then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into dropbox.com, I click files.

I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but if I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder in question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being part of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is on Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20 minutes ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

I was going to suggest it. Works fine for me as well.
Em 29/12/2018 22:46, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

If you press the application  key, or shift F10 you can select share from the menu.

Press enter on share, then press the tab key once, then press alt+down arrow, and you will hear, deselect me.

Press enter and you are done.

I just tried it.

73 N2DYN Angelo

I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want to
remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign into
dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder name,
then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into
dropbox.com, I click files.

I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more
actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but if
I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder in
question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being part
of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is on
Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20 minutes
ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

Roger Stewart

The real problem with Dropbox isn't removing a shared folder--it is trying to add someone who has asked you to share a folder. This used to be very easy. You would just get an email saying XXX has asked to share a folder with you on dropbox and there were just 2 options--accept or decline! Nothing could be easier.  Now, it is impossible for a blind person to accept an invite to a new dropbox folder. This is because they now need you to solve a CAPTCHA to do this and this is no longer accessible at least, not for now.  Is there a work around for this?  They do ask you to check into your dropbox, but I'm always checked in, so I can't do that.

Roger

On 12/29/2018 6:27 PM, John Isige wrote:
Well just one issue really, so far.

I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want to remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign into dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder name, then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into dropbox.com, I click files.

I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but if I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder in question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being part of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is on Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20 minutes ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

.

When it actually has changed?
Until a few weeks ago I was 100% able to accept when anyone shared any folder with me.
So, maybe:
1. It's a problem with your account
2. It has changed too recently.
Em 29/12/2018 23:07, Roger Stewart escreveu:

[...]

Actually, I do this all the time. I just click view, then sign in and join and I'm in.

Take care

On 29 Dec 2018, at 17:07, Roger Stewart wrote:

[...]

I didn't just delete it from the HD because I wasn't sure if that would
mess things up for everybody else in the share. I'll give that a shot,
thanks!

On 12/29/2018 20:11, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Aparently you just delete the folder and it will go away.

but I havn't needed to do that in ages there used to be a procedure to click a certain button but thats gone now.

On 12/30/2018 1:27 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

It isn't gone.  It isn't properly accessible but you can do it, using the desktop application.  I'd have to experiment to figure out the exact procedure again.

Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:28 PM

Aparently you just delete the folder and it will go away.

but I havn't needed to do that in ages there used to be a procedure to
click a certain button but thats gone now.

On 12/30/2018 1:27 PM, John Isige wrote:
> Well just one issue really, so far.
>

> I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want
> to remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign
> into dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder
> name, then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into
> dropbox.com, I click files.
>

> I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more
> actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but
> if I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder
> in question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being
> part of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is
> on Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20
> minutes ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.
>

> .

Brian's Mail list account

Not sure, but if the other users of the shared folder update it, it has a nasty habit of coming back!
I see dropbox have changed the setting of that pesky delete from all devices window that opened behind all the others when you deleted a file, so it assumes delete from all. Thank goodness for that.
Oh and yes, my two machines bot still do not read any of the dropbox dialogues.
This issue has been there ever since Avast infected windows 7.
It is gone of course but I guess this is collateral damage only a reinstall of windows will fix so I'll live with it!
I just need to get a sighted person in if I need to log in or change any settings.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

For a while they did have a dodgy picture thing, but I believe its has been removed due to complaints, though somebody did say it asks you to tick a box if you are a human, but the actual words are a graphic. Maybe they are just playing about to see what the best way to stop hackers is. Not looked recently as no need.
[...]

I wasn't surprised when I saw that it comes back.  You are still set to share the file.  If the person has problems removing the folder from being shared, I can experiment and find the exact procedure, keystroke by keystroke, to do this.  It is a waste of time and effort to pursue other solutions.

> Why not remove the folder  from the dropbox folder on your hard drive.
> You will then be  removed  rom the share. I've done this for a while and
> it works well.
>
> On 29 Dec 2018, at 16:27, John Isige wrote:
>
>> Well just one issue really, so far.
>>

>> I have a shared folder foo that's not mine, I'm just a member. I want
>> to remove myself from it to free up space. The web tells me to sign
>> into dropbox.com, click files, and click "share" next to the folder
>> name, then there's a dropdown where I can remove myself. I sign into
>> dropbox.com, I click files.
>>

>> I see the folder, but all I see after it is a star button and a "more
>> actions" menu. If I pick "more actions" share does show up there, but
>> if I click on share, I just get a page with the contents of the folder
>> in question. I don't see anything with my name or a way to stop being
>> part of the share. So how do I stop being part of the share? This is
>> on Windows 1809 64-bit, latest Dropbox, I just installed it like 20
>> minutes ago, NVDA 2018.4, latest Firefox.

Desert Moon

Hello John,

I believe you have the Dropbox Desktop app installed. It runs at the background and syncs your local folder with the cloud.

I suggest you uninstall Dropbox Desktop and reboot your PC. Without the Dropbox Desktop running in the background anymore, you are no longer automatically signed into Dropbox. You can safely delete your local Dropbox folder without affecting whatever is stored in the cloud.

--
Desert

Gene

That is an extreme solution and it is exceedingly inconvenient to use Dropbox from the web site.

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 2:06 PM

Hello John,

I believe you have the Dropbox Desktop app installed. It runs at the background and syncs your local folder with the cloud.

I suggest you uninstall Dropbox Desktop and reboot your PC. Without the Dropbox Desktop running in the background anymore, you are no longer automatically signed into Dropbox. You can safely delete your local Dropbox folder without affecting whatever is stored in the cloud.

--
Desert

Hello,
Just adding some thoughts: Would the pause sync function not works fine too in this case? That's what I do and so far so good, it is serving me perfectly.
Em 30/12/2018 18:06, Desert Moon via Groups.Io escreveu:

Hello John,

I believe you have the Dropbox Desktop app installed. It runs at the background and syncs your local folder with the cloud.

I suggest you uninstall Dropbox Desktop and reboot your PC. Without the Dropbox Desktop running in the background anymore, you are no longer automatically signed into Dropbox. You can safely delete your local Dropbox folder without affecting whatever is stored in the cloud.

--
Desert

Gene

I'm not sure how that would affect what you do.  I suspect that means you can't upload any files with that computer to Dropbox until sync is turned back on.  And I suspect that if you delete files, Dropbox won't know about it.

Whatever the case, whether I'm right or not, Why hnot learn the right way to do this, which will work and will have no other possible unwanted effects.

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 2:24 PM

Hello,
Just adding some thoughts: Would the pause sync function not works fine too in this case? That's what I do and so far so good, it is serving me perfectly.
Em 30/12/2018 18:06, Desert Moon via Groups.Io escreveu:
Hello John,

I believe you have the Dropbox Desktop app installed. It runs at the background and syncs your local folder with the cloud.

I suggest you uninstall Dropbox Desktop and reboot your PC. Without the Dropbox Desktop running in the background anymore, you are no longer automatically signed into Dropbox. You can safely delete your local Dropbox folder without affecting whatever is stored in the cloud.

--
Desert

Richard Bartholomew

As well as being a root and branch approach, uninstalling Dropbox from the desktop is no good if you’re sharing folders with multiple people and it’s only one you want to stop sharing with!  As you say, deleting the share the clean and proper way is the desired method.

That is an extreme solution and it is exceedingly inconvenient to use Dropbox from the web site.