mariana islands

Brice Mijares

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!

Antony Stone

1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Ann Byrne

According to Google, the abbreviation for Northern Mariana Islands is mp. So NVDA is interpreting for you. Ugh!

I wonder if there is a setting to tell it not to interpret abbreviations. there isn't in JAWS, and I wish there were. I want to make the interpretation myself, thank you very much. (LOL)

At 08:30 AM 12/30/2018, you wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Hi,
This is mostly controlled by the synthesizer in question. You can actually
ask a given synthesizer voice to not interpret things for you (NVDA
menu/Preferences/Speech dictionaries/Voice dictionary).
Cheers,
Joseph

you wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the
list;
please
*don't* CC me.

Brice Mijares

, micro soft David, english I assume and it's random throughouta list of mp3's. Thanks.

On 12/30/2018 6:30 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?
2. Which language is it set to use?
3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?
Antony.
On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!

Brice Mijares

thanks for the info.

On 12/30/2018 6:46 AM, Ann Byrne wrote:
[...]

I went to menu/Preferences/Speech dictionaries/Voice dictionary).
the first one says alt d for dictionary, then alt e to edit. neither of these key combinations work for me. Also tried space bar and enter. Any ideas why? thanks.

you wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the
list;
please
*don't* CC me.

Hi,
You may need to add new entries (try pressing Alt+A for add). If that doesn't work, I will need to look at the log and find out what might be happening.

12/30/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Yes, I can add, but I just cancelled out.

12/30/2018, you wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example
line you have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a
list of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to
the
list;
please
*don't* CC me.

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

For me, this happens when using the oneCore voices and browsing through folders of .mp3 files.  The odd thing is that it doesn't happen with every file.

George

On 12/30/2018 8:26 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!

Andre Fisher

I can reproduce this using the OneCore synthesizer, but not with eSpeak, which suggests this is specific to that synthesizer only. It probably has to do with the fact that the line starts with a number, with the word road in the middle

Gene

You can use the speech dictionary in JAWS and NVDA to stop this.  Tell it to pronounce the abbreviation as you wish.  This isn't NVDA.  It’s the synthesizer.

According to Google, the abbreviation for Northern Mariana Islands is
mp.  So NVDA is interpreting for you.  Ugh!

I wonder if there is a setting to tell it not to interpret
abbreviations.  there isn't in JAWS, and I wish there were.  I want
to make the interpretation myself, thank you very much.  (LOL)
At 08:30 AM 12/30/2018, you wrote:
>1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?
>
>2. Which language is it set to use?
>
>3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
>have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?
>

>Antony.
>
>On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:
>
> > Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
> > of MP3's?
> > Like
> > 11 Country road.mp3
> > Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
>
>--
>A user interface is like a joke.
>If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.
>
>                                                    Please reply to the list;
>                                                          please
> *don't* CC me.

Brice Mijares

You are correct, if you remove the numbers,you don't hear Northern Mariana Islands.

Something in the way she moves.mp3
01 Something in the way she moves.mp3
Another one with the one core voice is the abbreviation for cup. it will say something like Cuban peso. No problem, I been dealing with this for a couple of years. Thanks.

On 12/30/2018 6:30 AM, Andre Fisher wrote:
I can reproduce this using the OneCore synthesizer, but not with eSpeak, which suggests this is specific to that synthesizer only. It probably has to do with the fact that the line starts with a number, with the word road in the middle

Lino Morales

Hi. I too did the same thing Brice did and I’m using David with NVDA 2018.4 also. Waiting from a response about this also.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:46 AM, Ann Byrne wrote:
According to Google, the abbreviation for Northern Mariana Islands is mp. So NVDA is interpreting for you. Ugh!
Well, some guess, or lack thereof, has to be hazarded.   That being said, you'd think that if they saw MP they'd check to see if it's immediately followed by 3, with no intervening space, before going for "Mariana Islands".

The way I've worked around this is by updating either the default dictionary or voice dictionary (I honestly can't remember which at the moment).  NVDA+N,P,D will get you there then hit D for default dictionary or V.  In the case of MP3 that would be the actual pattern, I'd try "M P 3" as the substitution, sans the quotes, and the anywhere option for my first pass.  I wonder if using a British English synthesizer one might get "Member of Parliament" instead of Marianas Islands?

I had this coming up once, but I think it was under JAWS, where it was saying Cuban Peso when it saw CUP in upper case, which in the context of recipes, among other things, is wrong.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brice,

            I had not seen your observation about Cuban Peso before offering my own.   I'm also not getting the Marianas Islands bit with NVDA and the OneCore Voices synthesizer and Microsoft James (the British male voice).  He reads M P 3 regardless of whether there's a track number or not.

            I'd still wonder about the logic, in this day and age, of designing anything to interpret MP as anything until or unless the character following the P has already been checked.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No that will be a Microsoft speech synth almost certainly. I have a friend with a post code that ends in 2NY, and it will say 2 New York, when in fact they are in Surrey England. This behaviour is nothing new and I'd have hoped by now should be localisable. It also affects imperial measures indeed most abbreviations commonly used in the USA even if you are using the synth in the UK.
Bah Humbug.
Espeak if used natively does not do this but the annoying thing with Espeak is roman Numerals for capital letters on their own or in groups that make sense as a roman numeral.
Also DR can often be doctor which is not always the case either.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Humph, I never had much luck with Sappi 5 voices in this regard.

you wrote:
1. Which speech synthesiser are you using?

2. Which language is it set to use?

3. Exactly what does NVDA say when you get it to read the example line you
have quoted - where does "Mariana Islands" appear in the speech output?

Antony.

On Sunday 30 December 2018 at 15:26:39, Brice Mijares wrote:

Why does NVDA echo Mariana Islands at times while going through a list
of MP3's?
Like
11 Country road.mp3
Hopefully I'm not the only one hearing this!
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the
list;
please
*don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Problem is that it does not work in many cases and there are so many cases you would be all year doing it.
[...]

Not sure but I have sorted it, as often mp3 and mp2 etc are not caps.
[...]

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back