Topics

Add-on Updater: counting down to release of version 19.01.1 #addonrelease

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year (or New Year’s Eve depending on where you are).

Sometime in 2019 (few seconds after midnight UTC on January 1, 2019 to be exact), Add-on Updater 19.01.1 will make its appearance on any computer running NVDA with this add-on installed. Although this is a point release, it is a major release that resolves more compatibility issues with Python 3 and simplifies certain portions of this add-on source code. You will also find a surprise inside (shhh, you’ll see it after upgrading to that version).

Cheers,

Joseph

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi joseph

I guess i will see it before the others then as long as i am still awake if not the smart speaker is set to let me know.

Gene nz

On 31/12/2018 4:01 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year (or New Year’s Eve depending on where you are).

Sometime in 2019 (few seconds after midnight UTC on January 1, 2019 to be exact), Add-on Updater 19.01.1 will make its appearance on any computer running NVDA with this add-on installed. Although this is a point release, it is a major release that resolves more compatibility issues with Python 3 and simplifies certain portions of this add-on source code. You will also find a surprise inside (shhh, you’ll see it after upgrading to that version).

Cheers,

Joseph

No – it is based on UTC, not midnight local time.

[...]

then i have a long time to wait like 19 or 20 hour then?

Gene nz

On 31/12/2018 5:35 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Yep, it’ll be in the afternoon New Zealand time.

Cheers,

Joseph

I guess i will see it before the others then as long as i am still awake if not the smart speaker is set to let me know.

Gene nz

On 31/12/2018 4:01 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year (or New Year’s Eve depending on where you are).

Sometime in 2019 (few seconds after midnight UTC on January 1, 2019 to be exact), Add-on Updater 19.01.1 will make its appearance on any computer running NVDA with this add-on installed. Although this is a point release, it is a major release that resolves more compatibility issues with Python 3 and simplifies certain portions of this add-on source code. You will also find a surprise inside (shhh, you’ll see it after upgrading to that version).

Cheers,

Joseph

Meet modi

Hello hi i dear user I have query about nvd new version 2018.3. in Windows 7 Vista this version is not support please give me answer. Because whenever I try to install Nvidia 2018 18.3 it says Windows is not compatible with this version so please help me.

--
Image
              NVDA certified expert

Image NVDA
        certified expert

NVDA hasn't supported Vista for perhaps half a year.  To run the current version, you need Windows 7, Service Pack 1 or higher.  I don't recall what the latest version is that runs in Vista.  Presumably, it’s the last version that runs in XP.

[...]

So exciting! This will be huge when it gets into NVDA core. Will it happen in 2019.2?

Hi,

I don’t know when add-on update check functionality will become part of NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

So exciting! This will be huge when it gets into NVDA core. Will it happen in 2019.2?

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If i remember right the last version of nvda to work with nvda for xp and vista was 2017.3

gene nz

On 31/12/2018 8:36 PM, Meet modi wrote:
[...]

A good message to start the year with same back at you like a boomerang.

We are already 17 hours into the new year.

I will not copy and paste the message they will see when they update it.

Gene nz

On 31/12/2018 4:01 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year (or New Year’s Eve depending on where you are).

Sometime in 2019 (few seconds after midnight UTC on January 1, 2019 to be exact), Add-on Updater 19.01.1 will make its appearance on any computer running NVDA with this add-on installed. Although this is a point release, it is a major release that resolves more compatibility issues with Python 3 and simplifies certain portions of this add-on source code. You will also find a surprise inside (shhh, you’ll see it after upgrading to that version).

Cheers,

Joseph

Wow, did that come through the addon or was it part of email.

This is interesting though, obviously for seecurity you would have to be carefull, but some sort of daily message or something on new things or whatever well that was good.

Then again you said a surprise was coming and well yeah.

I have never had a happy new year from my screenreader, thats novel.

[...]

That's not the surprise. A keen user will know the surprise I'm talking
about.
[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are
in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of
the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which
locations (or location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

Annette Moore

It wasn't the audio message? That was a surprise to me. I thought that was so cool! And Happy new Year to all of you! :)

Annette, who hopes she didn't give it away

On 12/31/2018 11:04 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

I got the same thing, happy new year!

[...]

Ian Blackburn

Hopefully it doesn’t tell me happy New Year again tomorrow
And announces that each time you restart your screen reader
Regards Ian

On 1 Jan 2019, at 1:09 pm, Keao Wright <@KeaoW> wrote:

[...]

Not sure if this is the surprise, but you can now tell which add ons to never update in the add ons settings, which can be found under the NVDA settings.

hit here to see my latest writing update.

Ron Canazzi

Yeah, I mean when does this end?!

On 1/1/2019 3:23 AM, Ian Blackburn wrote:
[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Hi all,
The "surprise" will show up only once.
Also, "to let the cat out of the bag" (as they say), the "surprise" is not the text itself. If you listen to the dialog content carefully, you'll notice an interesting button. Clicking that button will reveal the "surprise".
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Nope, that’s not the surprise – that feature’s been there since the add-on’s early days.