nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Gene

You should easily be able to confirm where you are.  I don't use Windows 10 but one or both of these commands should tell you directly or indirectly where you are:
Try NVDA key t for the title bar.  Also try NVDA key tab, which reads the current control you are on.

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:39 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda doesn't announce the start menu after pressing the windows key

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Sarah k Alawami

I believe I have the same issue. In fact I think I saw it yesterday. I have the essentials add o installed if that makes a difference, which it probably does not. I hope it is a fluke for both of us.

Running windows 10 1809. I have to look up the nvda version but it is the latest beta build, that much I know.

On 3 Jan 2019, at 15:39, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Sarah k Alawami

In my case I hearthe edit field as I have an add on that plays sounds, but yeah I remember it did say start menu. For me a restart of nvda works fine.

Take care

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:39 PM

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.

I’ve been experiencing this issue ever since my machines received build 17763.

Very odd.

I believe I have the same issue. In fact I think I saw it yesterday. I have the essentials add o installed if that makes a difference, which it probably does not. I hope it is a fluke for both of us.

Running windows 10 1809. I have to look up the nvda version but it is the latest beta build, that much I know.

On 3 Jan 2019, at 15:39, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn’t announce that I’m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It’s happening on both machines. It’s frustrating because I’m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Are you using the Win 10 App Essentials add-on? If not, try using it and see what happens.
You can find it at the NVDA add-ons website.
Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

Em 03/01/2019 21:39, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:

Hey guys, Molly here again.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn�t announce that I�m on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It�s happening on both machines. It�s frustrating because I�m needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes increasingly nvda is not actually confirming what has been opened as if it missed the command to say it. I wonder, does the person have the 3D sounds add on installed or something that interrupts the speaking in some way?
The NVDA speech can be muted by hitting certain keys, but also overwritten by some other speech or affected by a mute of a sound card due to driver issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

You should easily be able to confirm where you are. I don't use Windows 10 but one or both of these commands should tell you directly or indirectly where you are:
Try NVDA key t for the title bar. Also try NVDA key tab, which reads the current control you are on.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Nvda doesn't announce that I'm on the start menu when I press the windows logo key. I press it and Nvda says nothing at all. It's happening on both machines. It's frustrating because I'm needing to access different folders and I want to search for them using the start menu.

Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Running windows 10 home, build 17763 on both machines.

Thanks.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well although I get the start menu OK on windows 7 I am increasingly getting it on folder opening, which it never did prior to the latest version of nvda but I do have a number of newer add ons since add on updater was installed and without any kind of evidence yet, I might suggest its one or more of the new add ons.
[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

When you press the Windows key you will land in the Cortana search box.  Press tab until you find a button entitled “Toggle start navigation menu items”.  Press this then use down arrow not tab to navigate start menu.

Cheers

Chris