Java accessibility

farhan israk

I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide. But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?

Andy

Haven't used Java applications in a long time, but i seem to recall that you need to install a program called Java Access Bridge, which facilitates interaction between java and screen readers.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 10:43 PM
Subject: [nvda] Java accessibility

I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide. But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?

Brian's Mail list account

It is now part of the package but you need both the 32 and 64 bit versions on a 64 bit machine and not all controls seem tope accessible. I do not know about the other software. Normally its people using java based stuff that need the bridges, but I have no direct knowledge of authoring with it myself.
I thought Java was a dying system now.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Java accessibility

Haven't used Java applications in a long time, but i seem to recall that you need to install a program called Java Access Bridge, which facilitates interaction between java and screen readers.

Andy

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Isaac Porat

Hi

Firstly Java is still (and will be there for a long time) one of the top three most used languages; Java had security problems being used as a browser plugin (as Applet) a few years ago and not used in this way any more, as a desktop application its use is limited.

However it is one of the major forces in server side programming and the Android OS which takes over 90% of the mobile space.

Now to your problem:

As mentioned to ensure JAB support install both the 32 and 64 bits versions of Java.

The following link explains what you need to do.

Note that if all goes well the JAB which is included with the Java JDK is configured during installation, if it does not work

look here:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/access/enable_and_test.html

The easiest way to test if it configured properly is to try to navigate the Java control panel which is installed with java, if you can navigate it, it is installed properly.

(just search for it in Windows)

Now to learning Java.

I do not use IntelliJ but AndroidStudio which is basically the former configured for Android so I suspect they work pretty much the same.

If the JAB is configured properly you should get basic navigation but for better results you need to enable accessibility, have a look at IntelliJ accessibility page.

(you might need sighted assistance to do this, it takes a minute)

If you want to learn Java you might like to use Eclipse, IDE it is written in Java but it wraps standard Windows widgets so does not need the JAB at all.

Finally, you are probably better asking at the NVDA development mailing list as more people are likely to give you sensible answers.

Good luck

Isaac

On 05/01/2019 06:43, farhan israk wrote:
I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide.
But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or
aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object
navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?

Antony Stone

Just out of interest, what are the other two of the top three most used
languages?

Antony.

On Saturday 05 January 2019 at 15:33:28, Isaac Porat wrote:

Hi

Firstly Java is still (and will be there for a long time) one of the top
three most used languages; Java had security problems being used as a
browser plugin (as Applet) a few years ago and not used in this way any
more, as a desktop application its use is limited.

However it is one of the major forces in server side programming and the
Android OS which takes over 90% of the mobile space.
--
How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy chapters involving
quantum mechanics.

- mnemonic for 3.14159265358979

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Isaac Porat

Hi

The other are Javascript mostly for web development and Python for scientific, AI general scripting prototype etc.

Also up there are C / C++, C# and objective C.

Regards

Isaac

On 05/01/2019 14:37, Antony Stone wrote:
languages?

Antony.

Hi

Brian's Mail list account

Not come across objective C Objectionable C yes grin.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 3:36 PM

Hi

The other are Javascript mostly for web development and Python for scientific, AI general scripting prototype etc.

Also up there are C / C++, C# and objective C.

Regards

Isaac

On 05/01/2019 14:37, Antony Stone wrote:
languages?

Antony.

Hi

MAX <max@...>

My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment,  Jaws will not read it.  Even after installing Java access bridge.  After switching over to NVDA I found that it would.  I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:59 AM

Andy

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Hi,

I had two encounters with a message from Water Fox asking me to update my Java.  I ignored it.  Should I update?  Is it needed?

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of MAX
Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:50 AM

My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment,  Jaws will not read it.  Even after installing Java access bridge.  After switching over to NVDA I found that it would.  I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Andy

Gene

I'm not sure why Waterfox is showing you such messages.  JAVA, the program, does show update messages in the System Tray when a JAVA update is available.  JAVA scripts don't ask to be updated.

If you don't use any programs that require JAVA, the program, then its very unlikely you are using any web sites that do.  You should disable the JAVA add-on in your browser.  If you have no problems with sites asking you to get JAVA, leave it disabled.  JAVA is a security risk and the browser shouldn't be exposed to possible JAVA exploits unless it is necessary to run the JAVA add-on in the browser to work with one or more sites. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:45 PM

Hi,

I had two encounters with a message from Water Fox asking me to update my Java.  I ignored it.  Should I update?  Is it needed?

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal 

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Andy

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Thanks for your helpful answer.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2019 2:38 PM

I'm not sure why Waterfox is showing you such messages.  JAVA, the program, does show update messages in the System Tray when a JAVA update is available.  JAVA scripts don't ask to be updated.

If you don't use any programs that require JAVA, the program, then its very unlikely you are using any web sites that do.  You should disable the JAVA add-on in your browser.  If you have no problems with sites asking you to get JAVA, leave it disabled.  JAVA is a security risk and the browser shouldn't be exposed to possible JAVA exploits unless it is necessary to run the JAVA add-on in the browser to work with one or more sites. 

Gene

Hi,

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal 

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Andy

Well I wouldn't trust any message, if you get a message in your trey asking to update then its probably malware unless you don't have the latest update.

The latest update is 8.9.1 but was released last year in november or so.

On 1/6/2019 7:45 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:
Hi,

I had two encounters with a message from Water Fox asking me to update my Java. I ignored it. Should I update? Is it needed?

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal

My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment, Jaws will not read it. Even after installing Java access bridge. After switching over to NVDA I found that it would. I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Antique Electronics Site: <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Andy

Actually waterfox/firefox/ all mozilla products use java as a base if you go to add remove programs and find java you will get the version you need.

in all cases either go to java.com or launch the java control panel click update then update again.

I usually update whenever something comes out.

Saying all this, java is changing and changing a lot.

For a while java10 was the norm but suddenly its all switching to java for spaciffic apps and not installable packages though java8 continues as well as sparadic releases of java.

To be honest eventually it could simply mean oricle will not use installable java packages at all.

Maybe its got to do with html5 but certainly with the apps and such oracle seem to be pushing it that if x app needs java, it should be built in to that app not sure if its because of malware or what but whatever.

I don't personally use java on a daily basis and neither do my users.

Saying that, from time to time we do use java programs and some websites like nvidia do use java.

Its worth keeping on all systems for the places that use it.

On 1/6/2019 8:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure why Waterfox is showing you such messages. JAVA, the program, does show update messages in the System Tray when a JAVA update is available. JAVA scripts don't ask to be updated.

If you don't use any programs that require JAVA, the program, then its very unlikely you are using any web sites that do. You should disable the JAVA add-on in your browser. If you have no problems with sites asking you to get JAVA, leave it disabled. JAVA is a security risk and the browser shouldn't be exposed to possible JAVA exploits unless it is necessary to run the JAVA add-on in the browser to work with one or more sites.

Gene

Hi,

I had two encounters with a message from Water Fox asking me to update my Java. I ignored it. Should I update? Is it needed?

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal

My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment, Jaws will not read it. Even after installing Java access bridge. After switching over to NVDA I found that it would. I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Andy

Gene

What do you mean uses JAVA as a base?  it is supposed to be based on Firefox code and JAVA, the program, isn't necessary for Firefox to run.  If it uses JAVA, the program, I don't know what the implications are.  If it uses JAVA but you can still have either no JAVA add-on or have the add-on disabled and Waterfox will still run, then, unless you need JAVA for something other than to run Waterfox, the add-on should be disabled for security reasons.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 2:49 PM

Actually waterfox/firefox/ all mozilla products use java as a base if
you go to add remove programs and find java you will get the version you
need.

in all cases either go to java.com or launch the java control panel
click update then update again.

I usually update whenever something comes out.

Saying all this, java is changing and changing a lot.

For a while java10 was the norm but suddenly its all switching to java
for spaciffic apps and not installable packages though java8 continues
as well as sparadic releases of java.

To be honest eventually it could simply mean oricle will not use
installable java packages at all.

Maybe its got to do with html5 but certainly with the apps and such
oracle seem to be pushing it that if x app needs java, it should be
built in to that app not sure if its because of malware or what but
whatever.

I don't personally use java on a daily basis and neither do my users.

Saying that, from time to time we do use java programs and some websites
like nvidia do use java.

Its worth keeping on all systems for the places that use it.

On 1/6/2019 8:38 AM, Gene wrote:
> I'm not sure why Waterfox is showing you such messages.  JAVA, the program, does show update messages in the System Tray when a JAVA update is available.  JAVA scripts don't ask to be updated.
>
> If you don't use any programs that require JAVA, the program, then its very unlikely you are using any web sites that do.  You should disable the JAVA add-on in your browser.  If you have no problems with sites asking you to get JAVA, leave it disabled.  JAVA is a security risk and the browser shouldn't be exposed to possible JAVA exploits unless it is necessary to run the JAVA add-on in the browser to work with one or more sites.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Pascal Lambert
> Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:45 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Java accessibility
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I had two encounters with a message from Water Fox asking me to update my Java.  I ignored it.  Should I update?  Is it needed?
>
> Thanks
>
> Blessings
>
> Pascal
>
>  
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of MAX
> Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:50 AM
>
>  
>
> My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment,  Jaws will not read it.  Even after installing Java access bridge.  After switching over to NVDA I found that it would.  I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.
>
>  
>
>  
>
> 73 (Regards).
>
>  
>
> Max K 4 O D S.
>
>  
>
> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>
>  
>
> Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
>
>  
>
>  
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy
> Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:59 AM
>
>  
>
> Haven't used Java applications in a long time, but i seem to recall that you need to install a program called Java Access Bridge, which facilitates interaction between java and screen readers.
>
>  
>
> Andy
>
>  
>
>    ----- Original Message -----
>
>    From: farhan israk
>
>    To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>
>    Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 10:43 PM
>
>    Subject: [nvda] Java accessibility
>
>    
>
>    I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide. But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?
>
>
>
>
>
>

Isaac Porat

Hi

I did not use this particular IDE but used Eclipse and more recently AndroidStudio both also written in Java.

I did not use Jaws for some years but at the time Java support was very poor, NVDA support is much better.

As long as you have Java installed the Java access bridge comes with it, no need to install it separately.

Sometimes for some reason it is not activated and needs to be activated manually.

Unlike the poor advice given in another message, the java updater places a message on the tray when a new version is available and if you need java, always update.

None of the browser need Java they are mostly written in C / C++.

The various security risks when running Java in the browser where fixed  few years ago and if I am not mistaken from Java version 9 add ons are not supported anymore.

Regards

Isaac

On 05/01/2019 16:50, MAX wrote:

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Antique Electronics Site: <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

Andy

farhan israk

Thanks to all. How to get access to dev mailing list? I'm not able to enable java access bridge. If I run %JRE_HOME%\bin\jabswitch -enable command in command prompt, command prompt shows specified path is not available. I also tried arduino ide but couldn't use it due to accessibility issue. I also tried to install android studio but couldn't install it. In second page of I need to check android studio. I pressed space many times on it but couldn't check it. It remained unchecked. I installed clips ide. I found it very much accessible. I can easily use it. I want to know few things regarding this ide. Do I need to change any settings? How to compile and run code after writing code?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm Isaac Porat <isaac@... wrote:
Hi

I did not use this particular IDE but used Eclipse and more recently
AndroidStudio both also written in Java.

I did not use Jaws for some years but at the time Java support was very
poor, NVDA support is much better.

As long as you have Java installed the Java access bridge comes with it,
no need to install it separately.

Sometimes for some reason it is not activated and needs to be activated
manually.

Unlike the poor advice given in another message, the java updater places
a message on the tray when a new version is available and if you need
java, always update.

The various security risks when running Java in the browser where fixed 
few years ago and if I am not mistaken from Java version 9 add ons are
not supported anymore.

Regards

Isaac

> My only brush with Java is in the Arduino I D E (integrated development environment,  Jaws will not read it.  Even after installing Java access bridge.  After switching over to NVDA I found that it would.  I did not uninstall Java access bridge so I must assume it is still on my computer.
>
>   
>
>   
>
> 73 (Regards).
>
>   
>
> Max K 4 O D S.
>
>   
>
>
>   
>
> Antique Electronics Site:  <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
>
>   
>
>   
>
>
>   
>
> Haven't used Java applications in a long time, but i seem to recall that you need to install a program called Java Access Bridge, which facilitates interaction between java and screen readers.
>
>   
>
> Andy
>
>   
>
>
> From: farhan israk <mailto:fahim.net.2014@...>
>
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>
> Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 10:43 PM
>
> Subject: [nvda] Java accessibility
>
>   
>
> I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide. But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Antony Stone

On Monday 14 January 2019 at 12:13:05, farhan israk wrote:

Thanks to all. How to get access to dev mailing list? I'm not able to
enable java access bridge. If I run %JRE_HOME%\bin\jabswitch -enable
command in command prompt, command prompt shows specified path is not
available. I also tried arduino ide but couldn't use it due to
accessibility issue. I also tried to install android studio but couldn't
install it. In second page of I need to check android studio. I pressed
space many times on it but couldn't check it. It remained unchecked. I
installed clips ide. I found it very much accessible. I can easily use it.
I want to know few things regarding this ide. Do I need to change any
settings? How to compile and run code after writing code?
--
René Descartes walks in to a bar.
The barman asks him "Do you want a drink?"
Descartes says "I think not," and disappears.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Chris Mullins

Hi

Not sure what Operating system you are using but the following has given me trouble free Java Access bridge use under W10 for a long time.

Cheers

Chris

For 64-bit Windows machines, you should install both the 64 and 32-bit versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), for 32-bit Windows machines, only the 32-bit JRE is required.  Note: if you use the Java Development Kit (JDK), you do not need JRE as the relevant DLL's are included however, Java Access Bridge (JAB) dll-s stil need to be in the relevant folders, so please apply the rules below to get JAB to work with your screen reader. 

The Java installers are notoriously bad at putting files associated with JAB into the correct folders, particularly on 64-bit Windows systems and it is sometimes necessary to do the task manually.  I have found that downloading and installing the off-line installers from java.com  gives a more consistent result.  The automatic notification that a new version of Java can be installed is, in my opinion, the worst culprit where incorrect JAB installation is concerned.   Below are the details for putting JAB files into the correct folders on  Windows systems.

64-bit Windows 

1A. After running both 64-bit and 32-bit installers, ensure the following dll files are in the folders shown and are dated the day you ran the respective Installers: 

Windows\System32\WindowsAccessBridge-64.dll

Windows\SysWow64\WindowsAccessBridge-32.dll

2A. If either/both dll is missing or has the wrong date, you can find them in the following folders:

Program Files\Java\jrex.x.x_y\WindowsAccessBridge-64.dll  

Program Files(X86)\Java\jrex.x.x_y\WindowsAccessBridge-32.dll

Where x.x.x is the Java version number and y is the java update number.  You may copy missing dll's from these locations to those locations detailed in 1A above.

32-bit Windows 

1B. After installing the 32-bit JRE, ensure the following dll file is in the folder shown and is dated the day you ran the JRE installation package: 

Windows\System32\WindowsAccessBridge-32.dll

2B. If the dll is missing or has the wrong date, you can find it in the following folder:

Program Files\Java\jrex.x.x_y\WindowsAccessBridge-32.dll  

Where x.x.x is the Java version number and y is the java update number.  You may copy the missing dll from this location to the location detailed in 1B above.

Additional Note:

I have had a situation where I could not do a manual copy of a dll due to there being an existing copy in the target folder, pre-dating the one I was wanting to copy, which was currently in use so unable to be replaced.  I quit my screen reader and used Narrator to complete the copy process.

In NVDA you can tell if the JAB is not being picked up by checking the NVDA log file where you will find the following warning message when the JAB dll file is missing.  You will find this message shortly before the  line "NVDA Initialized".

WARNING - core.main (HH:MM:SS.TTT):

Java Access Bridge not available

In Windows 10 and possibly Windows 7, check that Java Access Bridge is initialised using Ease of Access Center.  Open the EoAC, arrow down to "Use the Computer without a display" and press enter.  You should find a check box entitled "Enable Java Access Bridge".    

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of farhan israk
Sent: 14 January 2019 11:13

Thanks to all. How to get access to dev mailing list? I'm not able to enable java access bridge. If I run %JRE_HOME%\bin\jabswitch -enable command in command prompt, command prompt shows specified path is not available. I also tried arduino ide but couldn't use it due to accessibility issue. I also tried to install android studio but couldn't install it. In second page of I need to check android studio. I pressed space many times on it but couldn't check it. It remained unchecked. I installed clips ide. I found it very much accessible. I can easily use it. I want to know few things regarding this ide. Do I need to change any settings? How to compile and run code after writing code?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm Isaac Porat <isaac@... wrote:

Hi

I did not use this particular IDE but used Eclipse and more recently
AndroidStudio both also written in Java.

I did not use Jaws for some years but at the time Java support was very
poor, NVDA support is much better.

As long as you have Java installed the Java access bridge comes with it,
no need to install it separately.

Sometimes for some reason it is not activated and needs to be activated
manually.

Unlike the poor advice given in another message, the java updater places
a message on the tray when a new version is available and if you need
java, always update.

The various security risks when running Java in the browser where fixed 
few years ago and if I am not mistaken from Java version 9 add ons are
not supported anymore.

Regards

Isaac

>
>   
>
>   
>
> 73 (Regards).
>
>   
>
> Max K 4 O D S.
>
>   
>
>
>   
>
> Antique Electronics Site:  <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
>
>   
>
>   
>
>
>   
>
>
>   
>
> Andy
>
>   
>
>
> From: farhan israk <mailto:fahim.net.2014@...>
>
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>
> Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 10:43 PM
>
> Subject: [nvda] Java accessibility
>
>   
>
> I want to learn java. For this reason I installed jdk and intelliJ ide. But,after opening intelliJ ide, I'm not able to navigate. If I press tab or aero keys nvda doesn't say anything. Got same result with object navigation. Nvda doesn't say anything. Now, what can I do?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>