Norwegian 8 dot braille table used by nvda

Lars Bjørndal <lars@...>

Hello, list!

For a long time there has been trouble with the Norwegian 8 dot computer
braill table used by nvda:

- Bullets and othe characters are represented by the typical \xxxxx
garbage.

In liblouis there is a corresponding table which is an extended version
of the table that are used currently.

Could you please use the table no-no-8dot.utb instead of
no-no-comp8.ctb?

I think the change is as simple as replacing the line:

addTable("no-no-comp8.ctb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

with:

addTable("no-no-8dot.utb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

in the file brailleTables.py in the source directory.

Thanks in advance - Lars

Hi,
Does the proposed table have issues of its own? If there are more issues with the proposed braille table than the one NVDA uses now, I'm afraid we may need to use the current table. The hex value indicates unassigned character/braille dot patterns.
I advise alerting Liblouis people about this.
Cheers,
Joseph

For a long time there has been trouble with the Norwegian 8 dot computer braill table used by nvda:

- Bullets and othe characters are represented by the typical \xxxxx
garbage.

In liblouis there is a corresponding table which is an extended version of the table that are used currently.

Could you please use the table no-no-8dot.utb instead of no-no-comp8.ctb?

I think the change is as simple as replacing the line:

addTable("no-no-comp8.ctb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

with:

addTable("no-no-8dot.utb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

in the file brailleTables.py in the source directory.

Thanks in advance - Lars

Lars Bjørndal <lars@...>

Hi, Joseph!

Thank you for your quick reply!

You wrote:

Does the proposed table have issues of its own? If there are more issues with the proposed braille table than the one NVDA uses now, I'm afraid we may need to use the current table.
The table that we want to use, includes the table currently in use, and the «new» table has extra definitions. I've tested the table, and I don't see any issue.

The hex value indicates unassigned character/braille dot patterns.
Yes, that's right. And there is lot of undefined chars in the currently used table.

I advise alerting Liblouis people about this.
I'm actively contributing to liblouis. I'm very certain that nobody will disagree to this change.

Thanks in advance - Lars

For a long time there has been trouble with the Norwegian 8 dot computer braill table used by nvda:

- Bullets and othe characters are represented by the typical \xxxxx
garbage.

In liblouis there is a corresponding table which is an extended version of the table that are used currently.

Could you please use the table no-no-8dot.utb instead of no-no-comp8.ctb?

I think the change is as simple as replacing the line:

addTable("no-no-comp8.ctb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

with:

addTable("no-no-8dot.utb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

in the file brailleTables.py in the source directory.

Thanks in advance - Lars

Lars Bjørndal <lars@...>

Hello,

I've now talked to the liblouis team about the change I suggest. You'll find my post here:
<https://www.freelists.org/post/liblouis-liblouisxml/Switch-Norwegian-braille-table-in-NVDA>

Please tell me if I have to do anything more to get the new braille table implemented.

Thanks in advance
Lars

You wrote:

[...]

Okay, the next step is asking NVDA people to implement needed changes via a
new GitHub issue.
Cheers,
Joseph

For a long time there has been trouble with the Norwegian 8 dot computer
braill table used by nvda:

- Bullets and othe characters are represented by the typical \xxxxx
garbage.

In liblouis there is a corresponding table which is an extended version
of the table that are used currently.

Could you please use the table no-no-8dot.utb instead of
no-no-comp8.ctb?

I think the change is as simple as replacing the line:

addTable("no-no-comp8.ctb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

with:

addTable("no-no-8dot.utb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer braille"))

in the file brailleTables.py in the source directory.

Thanks in advance - Lars

Quentin Christensen

Just out of curiosity, why ARE there two Norwegian 8 dot Braille tables in LibLouis in the first place?  Or have I misread the thread?

(I was going to create the GitHub issue that Joseph suggested, but wanted to be sure I understood the issue first)

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Lars Bjørndal <lars@...>

Hi, Quentin!

You wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE there two Norwegian 8 dot Braille tables
in LibLouis in the first place? Or have I misread the thread?
(I was going to create the GitHub issue that Joseph suggested, but
wanted to be sure I understood the issue first)
The no-no-comp8.ctb, which are used by NVDA today, was created based on the old ANSI character set, and so it lacks many unicode characters, although some very widly used was added after NVDA started to use the table. When the Norwegian library for braille and audio did a big job with all Norwegian tables, they created a table with lots of additions to the computer braille, and put that stuf in a separate file called no-no-8dot.utb.

Thanks a lot for creating the issue.

Lars

<[5]https://www.freelists.org/post/liblouis-liblouisxml/Switch-Norwe
gian-braill
e-table-in-NVDA>
Please tell me if I have to do anything more to get the new braille
table
implemented.
Thanks in advance
Lars
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 09:54:37AM +0100, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Hi, Joseph!
>
> Thank you for your quick reply!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Does the proposed table have issues of its own? If there are
more issues
with the proposed braille table than the one NVDA uses now, I'm
afraid we
may need to use the current table.

> The table that we want to use, includes the table currently in
use, and
the «new» table has extra definitions. I've tested the table, and I
don't
see any issue.

> > The hex value indicates unassigned character/braille dot
patterns.

> Yes, that's right. And there is lot of undefined chars in the
currently
used table.

> > I advise alerting Liblouis people about this.
>
> I'm actively contributing to liblouis. I'm very certain that
nobody will
disagree to this change.

> Thanks in advance - Lars

Of Lars

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification
now available: [9]http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
[10]www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: [11]http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

References

1. mailto:joseph.lee22590@...
2. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
3. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
4. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
5. https://www.freelists.org/post/liblouis-liblouisxml/Switch-Norwegian-braille-table-in-NVDA
6. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
7. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
8. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io
9. http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
10. http://www.nvaccess.org/
11. http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
12. https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/54081
13. mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io?subject=Re: Re: [nvda] Norwegian 8 dot braille table used by nvda
14. mailto:quentin@...?subject=Private: Re: Re: [nvda] Norwegian 8 dot braille table used by nvda
15. https://groups.io/mt/28955974/1633232
16. https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post
17. http://www.nvaccess.org/
18. http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
19. http://addons.nvda-project.org/
20. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
21. http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
22. https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/editsub/1633232
23. mailto:nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io
24. https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/leave/defanged

Hi,
Ah, this is similar to Unified English Braille table migration a few years
back.
There are two options I can think of:
1. Replace the old one with the new table (the original suggestion).
2. Combine the tables together somehow - that is, merge the old table into
the new one, keeping the file name the same.

Cheers,
Joseph

--

[...]

I simply suggested swapping to the new Braille table, but please advise if Joseph's second option of merging the two tables has merit.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi,
Ah, this is similar to Unified English Braille table migration a few years
back.
There are two options I can think of:
1. Replace the old one with the new table (the original suggestion).
2. Combine the tables together somehow - that is, merge the old table into
the new one, keeping the file name the same.

Cheers,
Joseph

> Just out of curiosity, why ARE there two Norwegian 8 dot Braille
> tables in LibLouis in the first place?  Or have I misread the thread?
> (I was going to create the GitHub issue that Joseph suggested, but
> wanted to be sure I understood the issue first)

The no-no-comp8.ctb, which are used by NVDA today, was created based on the
old ANSI character set, and so it lacks many unicode characters, although
some very widly used was added after NVDA started to use the table. When the
Norwegian library for braille and audio did a big job with all Norwegian
tables, they created a table with lots of additions to the computer braille,
and put that stuf in a separate file called no-no-8dot.utb.

Thanks a lot for creating the issue.

Lars

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM Joseph Lee
> <[1]joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
>
>   Hi,
>   Okay, the next step is asking NVDA people to implement needed
>   changes via a
>   new GitHub issue.
>   Cheers,
>   Joseph

Thank you. I plan to let the table no-no-comp8.ctb contain only the 256 possible braille patterns whith unique character to each, and put all other characters in the no-no-8dot.utb. So please go on with the change.

Thaks

Lars

I've created the issue: [1]https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/9170

<[2]joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,
Ah, this is similar to Unified English Braille table migration a few
years
back.
There are two options I can think of:
1. Replace the old one with the new table (the original suggestion).
2. Combine the tables together somehow - that is, merge the old
table into
the new one, keeping the file name the same.
Cheers,
Joseph
> Just out of curiosity, why ARE there two Norwegian 8 dot Braille
> tables in LibLouis in the first place? Or have I misread the
thread?
> (I was going to create the GitHub issue that Joseph suggested, but
> wanted to be sure I understood the issue first)
The no-no-comp8.ctb, which are used by NVDA today, was created based
on the
old ANSI character set, and so it lacks many unicode characters,
although
some very widly used was added after NVDA started to use the table.
When the
Norwegian library for braille and audio did a big job with all
Norwegian
tables, they created a table with lots of additions to the computer
braille,
and put that stuf in a separate file called no-no-8dot.utb.
Thanks a lot for creating the issue.
Lars
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM Joseph Lee
> <[1][6]joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Okay, the next step is asking NVDA people to implement needed
> changes via a
> new GitHub issue.
> Cheers,
> Joseph
Behalf Of
> Lars Bjørndal
> Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:08 AM
> To: [4][9]nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Norwegian 8 dot braille table used by nvda
> Hello,
> I've now talked to the liblouis team about the change I suggest.
> You'll find
> my post here:

<[5][10]https://www.freelists.org/post/liblouis-liblouisxml/Switch-N
orwe

<[7][12]nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf
> Of Lars
> > > Bjørndal
> > > Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:12 PM
> > > To: [8][13]nvda@nvda.groups.io
> > > Subject: [nvda] Norwegian 8 dot braille table used by nvda
> > >
> > > Hello, list!
> > >
> > > For a long time there has been trouble with the Norwegian 8
dot
> computer
> braill table used by nvda:
> > >
> > > - Bullets and othe characters are represented by the typical
> \xxxxx
> > > garbage.
> > >
> > > In liblouis there is a corresponding table which is an
extended
> version
> of the table that are used currently.
> > >
> > > Could you please use the table no-no-8dot.utb instead of
> no-no-comp8.ctb?
> > >
> > > I think the change is as simple as replacing the line:
> > >
> > > addTable("no-no-comp8.ctb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer
> braille"))
> > >
> > > with:
> > >
> > > addTable("no-no-8dot.utb", _("Norwegian 8 dot computer
> braille"))
> > >
> > > in the file brailleTables.py in the source directory.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance - Lars
> > >

> --
>
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now
available:
> [9][14]http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ [10][15]www.nvaccess.org
> Facebook: [11][16]http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
> Twitter: @NVAccess