Topics

Screen Curtain and Virtual Review: new versions are out #addonrelease

Hi all,

I’m delighted to announce the release of Virtual review 2.4 and Screen Curtain latest snapshot build (note that Screen Curtain is a proof of concept add-on). In case of Virtual Review, version 2.4 includes latest localizations from many language communities.

As always, the new updates are just an update check away (via Add-on Updater, which itself will get an update very soon).

Cheers,

Joseph

MariaRosa Chapman

HI.

where do we go to get these?
thanks.
Maria

On 14 Jan 2019, at 2:56 pm, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I’m delighted to announce the release of Virtual review 2.4 and Screen Curtain latest snapshot build (note that Screen Curtain is a proof of concept add-on). In case of Virtual Review, version 2.4 includes latest localizations from many language communities.

As always, the new updates are just an update check away (via Add-on Updater, which itself will get an update very soon).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

You can meet 40 plus NVDA add-ons at:

https://addons.nvda-project.org

Some were inspired by feature suggestions for NVDA, others add features from other screen readers, still others make life easier for some users, while others are things only seen with NVDA.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’m delighted to announce the release of Virtual review 2.4 and Screen Curtain latest snapshot build (note that Screen Curtain is a proof of concept add-on). In case of Virtual Review, version 2.4 includes latest localizations from many language communities.

As always, the new updates are just an update check away (via Add-on Updater, which itself will get an update very soon).

Cheers,
Joseph

Ron Canazzi

Hi Joseph,

Just exactly what does 'proof of content' mean?  I went to the add on page and it really doesn't say exactly except that it 'addresses core issue 7857.' What is that issue?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

A proof of concept is a product that demonstrates an idea. In this case, NVDA issue 7857 deals with a suggestion to add screen curtain functionality to NVDA, and this work is being done by a developer in Europe.

The whole idea behind Screen Curtain add-on was to gather feedback from the NVDA community about this very feature. Based on feedback from users, this European developer made some changes to this feature which is slowly taking shape at the moment.

In fact, Screen Curtain isn’t the first proof of concept add-on. That honor belongs to Control Usage Assistant (now discontinued), an add-on developed by me that added context-sensitive help messages for various controls. Nor Add-on Updater will be the latest proof of concept add-on that has graduated to stable release status, nor Windows 10 App Essentials the only one where the add-on is used to do early field testing for eventual NVDA pull requests. In case of Add-on Updater, it is the realization of NVDA issue 3208 (an issue I myself wrote) that advocated adding add-on update feature to NVDA, and I’m actively working on a pull request to make that into reality. Regarding Windows 10 App Essentials, one or more important features from that add-on has just been transferred to NVDA, and will show up as part of upcoming 2019.1 release (specifically, in NVDA 2019.1, you won’t need Windows 10 App Essentials to benefit from improved usability of various time pickers in Windows 10; speaking of features, emoji panel support was originally part of my add-on until it was transferred to NVDA in 2018.3).

My sincere apologies for my tone.

[...]

hi joseph.
thanks so much for your great works.
may i ask that which versions of nvda screen curtain supports?
for example: if one day i install windows 7 and screen curtain, can i
use my favorit version of nvda (2017.2) with screen curtain?
thanks again for any help, God bless you!

On 1/13/19, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I do not think this is possible.
I only see screen curtain working in windows 10 anyway. It is after all just a privacy help for laptops in my view. Turning off the monitor works for everyone else, or as I have, no monitor at all.
It throws the poor old sighted when they come around I can tell you.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Sorry, no. Screen Curtain will work on Windows 8 and later, and requires NVDA 2018.2 or later.
Cheers,
Joseph