Win10 not landing on the desktop when started

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Gene

See this page.
Different people give different solutions.  I looked at the first two and I don't know if there are more.  I suspect the second one, about changing to tablet mode, is the answer.

Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:39 AM
Subject: [nvda] Win10 not landing on the desktop when started

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Chris Mullins

Hi

Use the Windows command Windows key+d to move to the desktop list, pressing Windows key+d again will take you back to where you were prior to moving to the desktop, it acts like a toggle.  The “Life at a glance”  sounds like its the icons on the start screen.

Cheers

Chris

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Hi,

Correct – in tablet mode, app windows become maximized, and usual command to move focus to desktop )Windows+D) won’t work. I suggest:

  1. Press Windows+A to open Action Center.
  2. Go to tablet mode and see if the toggle button is pressed.
  3. If pressed, press Space to uncheck it and press Escape to close Action Center.

Cheer,s

Joseph

[...]

An accessible way to configure your start menu is as follows:

  1. Press Windows+i to open the settings dialog.
  2. Tab into list of   Categories, right arrow to “Personalisation” and press enter.
  3. Tab into list of sub-categories, down arrow to “Start”, press spacebar to select, then  press tab

The screen will contain the following toggle buttons.  Tab through them and have a look, you can’t get lost on this screen pressing tab just takes you around in a circle.  I don’t like a cluttered screen so I only have the “Show App list on Start menu” button checked.

Here is the list:

Show more tiles on Start

Show app list in Start menu

Show the recently added apps

Show the most used apps

Show suggestions occasionally in Start

Use Start full screen

Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar

Choose which folders appear on Start

Note: the last item in the list, “Choose which folders appear on Start” is not a button but a link to a lower level list of toggle buttons which determine what features are shown on your start menu.  Press enter on this link and you will see:

File Explorer

Settings

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

Network

Personal folder

Check the ones you would like to see on your Start menu, then use the “Home” button to return to the Settings dialog.  Use Alt+f4 to close the Settings dialog.

To move to the Start menu you press the Windows key alone.  Use the tab key to navigate the Start menu.  Again you will move around in a circle so you can’t get lost.  You will initially land in the Cortana search box, which you can use to search for information held either on your computer or on the internet.  As you tab through the controls, NVDA  will announce what they are, and you should be able to identify them as relating to the first list of toggle buttons you set.  When you encounter a control entitled “Toggle Start Navigation”, press the spacebar, then use the down/up arrows to navigate the start menu items you selected in the second list of toggle buttons.  Note there are a couple of additional items here.  “User Account for UserName”, if activated will open a list of options for the active UserName and offers user switching functionality.  “Power” will present the computer shutdown options you have available on your machine.

HTH

Chris

Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:39 AM

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Richard Wells

Pascal: It sounds like you may have accidentally activated Tablet mode. Press WINDOWS-KEY+A and make sure the Tablet button is not pressed. If it is, press SPACE-BAR to toggle it off.

On 1/15/2019 8:39 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Brian's Mail list account

Yes not sure why but usually even in 7 nowadays, the focus ends up on the start button, but of course Microsoft never did like the name and tried to remove it once but then put it back after complaints, not they seem to be doing something different again. I personally feel that unless its been configured by a user, they should present a typical standard windows start and desktop to users. First impressions and all that.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Please help! For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer,
it does not land on the desktop but on something called 'life at a
glancd-group header" with some icons under for calendar, weather.

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get
back to the desktop. Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Hi,
Presenting desktop by default: already possible depending on what kind of
device on is using (fixed way back in Windows 8.1).
Cheers,
Jsoeph

Please help! For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my
computer,
it does not land on the desktop but on something called 'life at a
glancd-group header" with some icons under for calendar, weather.

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to
get
back to the desktop. Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer
savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Brian's Mail list account

Whenever I hear the word tablet, I think of pills for medication. I think its an unfortunate choice of word by the industry myself. I often chuckle at it when I think of somebody swallowing the tablet.
[...]

Lol! I've never thought about it this way, but now I did and it made me laugh a lot.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 15/01/2019 17:40, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

Whenever I hear the word tablet, I think of pills for medication. I think its an unfortunate choice of word by the industry myself. I often chuckle at it when I think of somebody swallowing the tablet.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Wells" <richwels@...>
Pascal: It sounds like you may have accidentally activated Tablet mode.
Press WINDOWS-KEY+A and make sure the Tablet button is not pressed. If
it is, press SPACE-BAR to toggle it off.

On 1/15/2019 8:39 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Hi All,

Please help! For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my
computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called
�life at a glancd-group header� with some icons under for calendar,
weather�

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way
to get back to the desktop. Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer
savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Monte Single

I think the word tablet was picked because clay/wax tablets were used to
write on from the Romans and even further back.

Pascal: It sounds like you may have accidentally activated Tablet mode.
Press WINDOWS-KEY+A and make sure the Tablet button is not pressed. If
it is, press SPACE-BAR to toggle it off.

On 1/15/2019 8:39 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Hi All,

Please help! For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my
computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called
life at a glancd-group header with some icons under for calendar,
weather

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way
to get back to the desktop. Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer
savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Thank you so much Richard!

I am thankful for this list!  There is always someone to come to the rescue!

Blessings.

Pascal

Pascal: It sounds like you may have accidentally activated Tablet mode. Press WINDOWS-KEY+A and make sure the Tablet button is not pressed. If it is, press SPACE-BAR to toggle it off.

On 1/15/2019 8:39 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Pascal , In windows 10 it is rare that it will ever land on the desktop as in olden days. In most cases you will find yourself on the task bar or near the start button.
***
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
****

Pascal: It sounds like you may have accidentally activated Tablet mode. Press WINDOWS-KEY+A and make sure the Tablet button is not pressed. If it is, press SPACE-BAR to toggle it off.

On 1/15/2019 8:39 AM, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Hi All,

Please help!  For some reason I cannot figure out, when I start my computer, it does not land on the desktop but on something called ‘life at a glancd-group header” with some icons under for calendar, weather…

I probably did something unintentionally and now I cannot find a way to get back to the desktop.  Pleas help.

Boy, I am glad this list is there for some of us who are not computer savvy!

Many thanks.

Blessings

Pascal

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Robert,

In essence you are right.  I accidentally had my tablet checked and that is why it did not go to the start menu.  Richard was kind to point that out.

Thanks

Blessings.

Pascal