Topics

The unknown issue with mozilla fire fox and thunderbird

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

A while back i emailed the list about problems that I was having with a
persons computer running windows 10. What it was doing was in mozilla
fire fox you could not use single letter navigation keys, tab or any
thing. You could not even get into the menus up the top when the alt key
was used. It was unusable with mozilla fire fox. NVDA kept on saying
unknown. Browse and focus mode did not work either.

There was some other problems but that saying unknown was the main ones.

Also when you went into mozilla thunderbird, it would open, but when you
went to use the tab key to get to the tree view it would say unknown
etc, You could not even get into your emails and or access the menus up
the top. Also unusable.

The above problem is now fixed.

The steps were.

I thought it was nvda having a corrupted nvda.ini file.

So nvda was reset to factory defaults. That did not fix the problem.
NVDA was completely removed all together and also the references to nvda
under the %appdata% section referring to nvda. This was deleted.NVDA was
then reinstalled and then tested it again. I still had the same problem
with nvda saying unknown both in fire fox and mozilla thunder bird.

Next mozilla fire fox was uninstalled from the pc.

I then went into the %appdata% area and found a folder referring to
mozilla and had a look inside of it..

I ended up deleting the settings file, then decided to delete the folder
for mozilla all together.
i then closed out of it then decided to see if it made any difference in
thunderbird. This time I was able to tab through to where my folders
were in the treeview, go into them read my messages etc.
I can not remember if i had to reboot or to clear the cache.
So the problem is fixed now and then i reinstalled mozilla fire fox and
set it up.

Mozilla fire fox is now working correctly i can use single letter
navigation keys etc even access the menus. What I did when i reinstalled
it was grab the latest version of it as I noticed when the other one was
uninstalled it was version 47.

So both are running correctly i can access the menus in both programs
and use them like normal.

I have seen in the last day or couple of days a similar problem on the
list with nvda saying unknown multiple times in fire fox.

so if you had the same sort of problems as mentioned above with mozilla
fire fox and thunder bird, this is how i fixed it.
Maybe it might help someone else.

Gene nz

Alexander Masic

I'M quite shure that there is some issues with drivers for that graphic card. I gues it's an little older computer with graphic drivers wich may not included in windows. So windows install instead thairs own standard graphic drivers, and it dont work. Try to find the manicaturers drivers for that graphic card and install it.
That is the only solotion i have for you.

Den 2016-10-18 kl. 09:26, skrev Gene New Zealand:

[...]

hi gene.
thanks so much for your guide.
but i tryed nvda 16.3 with firefox and i could not use single letter
navigations, arrow keys, brows mode and nvda did not say the content
for me.
i uninstalled it completely as well as firefox even from appdata and
my problem is not solved.
i returned to nvda 16.1 and its very great for me.
also in the newer versions, i faced many hangs and crashes!

On 10/18/16, Alexander Masic <list@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Yes there was a post by me from Jamie from the dev list that basically said that there is a problem with firefox, and its not been fixed in the main so called stable version but has been in the nightly build. It could be that by removing that folder you have reset the situation, so to speak and it will nnow work until the same limit or whatever occurs again, but hopefully, by then the nightly build will have become the stable one and the problem will go away.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

if its a problem in firefox, why that i dont have this problem in
previous versions of nvda?
i use firefox 39 and 40 with nvda 2016.1 with no problem!

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Brian

I put a later version of fire fox on there i think it was version 49 and
when i set it up it works well every thing is back to normal. I am sure
her version was 47 at that time. So hopefully it will not happen again.
but if it does cross fingers not, i will repeat the process.

There must of been a bug that caused it in the earlier version.
I forgot to mention also the portable version done the same with saying
unknown in both fire fox and thunderbird.

it was really weird it would act normal in some parts and weird in
others. But since it has been done it is all back to normal. It is the
first time I have seen this problem and took a bit of time to figure it
out. some how it seemed to affect some other programs yet others were ok.
I was lucky also i was able to have remote access to help her she can
get confused and hit wrong keys at times, so was far quicker for me to
do it as she lives 45 minutes north of where i live. Plus i have a good
knowledge of computer related stuff and where to look.

If it helps some one else to sort out the same problem it is worth it.

Gene nz

On 18/10/2016 10:23 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Yes there was a post by me from Jamie from the dev list that basically
said that there is a problem with firefox, and its not been fixed in
the main so called stable version but has been in the nightly build.
It could be that by removing that folder you have reset the
situation, so to speak and it will nnow work until the same limit or
whatever occurs again, but hopefully, by then the nightly build will
have become the stable one and the problem will go away.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-