A suggestion for the next NVDA release

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi I woudl like to have the way to adjust when going threw web pages with heading you can hear the word heading 1 and then what the heading is.
and then hear heading 2 and the title of it.
Instead of hear what the heading is and then hearing heading one.
And then it would also be nice to be able to change the hearing the word link when going threw web pages first.
Instead of hearing what the link is and then hearing the word link after that.
So maybe if those selections can be added in to the next release that would be nice.

--
Casey

Quentin Christensen

Hi Casey,

Currently, when navigating around a web page, if using say all (NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a) or using the arrows, NVDA will announce the type of element, and then the element text, eg:

Heading level 2: Search results
Heading level 3, link: NVDA

If using TAB, or single letter navigation keys, such as H or 1, 2, 3, or shift+h etc to move to headings, or k to move to links, NVDA reads:

Search results, heading level 2
NVDA, link, heading level 3.

If you are pressing "3" to move between heading level 3 items (such as search results in Google), the assumption would be that you know each element you get to will be a heading level 3, and therefore it saves time to read the heading itself first before reiterating that it is a heading level 3.  If you are using say all or pressing down arrow, you won't necessarily know what kind of element the focus will move to next and whether, or how, you can interact with it.

Does that work how you wanted?  Or, how are you navigating?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:
Hi I woudl like to have the way to adjust when going threw web pages with heading you can hear the word heading 1 and then what the heading is.
And then it would also be nice to be able to change the hearing the word link when going threw web pages first.
So maybe if those selections can be added in to the next release that would be nice.

--
Casey

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Alexander Masic

there is an option were you can turn off anounsment of heading, landmarks, frames and so on....   but still jump betwean them. I turn them on, because regularey i don't mnead them to be anoused. And then if i nead, it's easy to turn them on again.

Den 2016-10-19 kl. 04:46, skrev Quentin Christensen:

Hi Casey,

Currently, when navigating around a web page, if using say all (NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a) or using the arrows, NVDA will announce the type of element, and then the element text, eg:

If using TAB, or single letter navigation keys, such as H or 1, 2, 3, or shift+h etc to move to headings, or k to move to links, NVDA reads:

If you are pressing "3" to move between heading level 3 items (such as search results in Google), the assumption would be that you know each element you get to will be a heading level 3, and therefore it saves time to read the heading itself first before reiterating that it is a heading level 3.  If you are using say all or pressing down arrow, you won't necessarily know what kind of element the focus will move to next and whether, or how, you can interact with it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Casey

--
Quentin Christensen
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org 

Quentin Christensen

Good point. I think that's not what the original poster had in mind, but definitely relevant to the discussion - for anyone unsure, if you open the Document Formatting dialog with NVDA+control+d, the options for Report links, report headings, report landmarks etc, will control whether these titles are announced as the appropriate elements are encountered in a document.

In my previous example for instance, if you turned off reporting of headings and links, NVDA would simply read:

Search results
NVDA

Which would certainly be challenging if you weren't familiar with the page, although using "K" for instance, you would at least know which was a link.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Alexander Masic <list@...> wrote:

there is an option were you can turn off anounsment of heading, landmarks, frames and so on....   but still jump betwean them. I turn them on, because regularey i don't mnead them to be anoused. And then if i nead, it's easy to turn them on again.

Den 2016-10-19 kl. 04:46, skrev Quentin Christensen:
Hi Casey,

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Casey

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

--
Quentin Christensen

www.nvaccess.org 

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi when I am on A web page I just use the letter H when going from heading to heading.
And of course the tab key when going from link to link.

--
Casey

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In some circumstances a linkmight not appear in the tab order but wil when you use k instead. No I have no idea why, but I suggest tis authoring errors when the page was written.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A suggestion for the next NVDA release

Hi when I am on A web page I just use the letter H when going from heading to heading.

--
Casey

Chris Mullins

This is not as straight forward as it may seem. Would this change be made for all element types? It would be inconsistent just to do it for some and what if the element has a state that also requires voicing? For example, a check box, would you rather hear:
Checkbox Would you like to receive spam? Not checked
Checkbox not checked would you like to receive spam?
Would you like to receive spam? Checkbox not checked

Food for thought ...

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Casey
Sent: 19 October 2016 05:09
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A suggestion for the next NVDA release

--
Casey

Antony Stone

I very much prefer "Checkbox. Would you like to receive spam? Not checked"

It introduces what the item is before you hear any details about it, and it
also neatly "frames" the item so you know exactly where it starts and ends.

Someone might just as easily have created a webpage containing the text "Would
you like to receive", followed by several options such as "spam", "junk mail"
"nuisance phone calls", "unexpected visitors" etc, so it's nice to know where
the description of each selectable item begins and ends.

Also, knowing whether something is a link, or a checkbox, or a drop-down list,
before you hear any details about what it says, makes more sense to me than
hearing what something says and then finding out what it was.

Antony.

On Wednesday 19 October 2016 at 12:38:57, Chris Mullins wrote:

This is not as straight forward as it may seem. Would this change be made
for all element types? It would be inconsistent just to do it for some
and what if the element has a state that also requires voicing? For
example, a check box, would you rather hear: Checkbox Would you like to
receive spam? Not checked
Checkbox not checked would you like to receive spam?
Would you like to receive spam? Checkbox not checked

Food for thought ...

Cheers
Chris
--
Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.