Single key navigation on Google Chrome

Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...>

I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10, version 1809. After doing a search, I can’t get single key navigation to work (even though I have gone into browse mode). Also when I went to nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation wasn’t working to navigate around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

Jackie

What version of NVDA, Greg?

On 1/19/19, Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...> wrote:
I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10,
version 1809. After doing a search, I can’t get single key navigation to
work (even though I have gone into browse mode). Also when I went to
nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation wasn’t working to navigate
around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

John J. Boyer

I have had this problem for a long time and have reported it numerous times, but nobody seems to be interested in fixing
it. It's not just with Chrome but with Firefox also. It's something in Windows that NVDA doesn't handle. It's not just a
matter of registerinnng dlls. I've tried that.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Gene

Please start a new thread when starting a new topic.  Don't reply to an old one, change the subject line, then write the message.  If you do that, people who read mail by conversation will see it in the wrong conversation.

Gene, moderator

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

is it  saying unknown or pane? is there any thing been spoken out in the running applications area down on the task bar? If i remember does it speak any thing out when you use the context menu?

I at present have google chrome, mozilla fire fox edge and internet explorer and they all work well.

Which operating system are you running?

Gene nz

On 20/01/2019 5:29 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I have had this problem for a long time and have reported it numerous times, but nobody seems to be interested in fixing
it. It's not just with Chrome but with Firefox also. It's something in Windows that NVDA doesn't handle. It's not just a
matter of registerinnng dlls. I've tried that.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 03:39:23PM -0600, Greg Rhodes wrote:
I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10, version 1809. After doing a search, I can’t get single key navigation to work (even though I have gone into browse mode). Also when I went to nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation wasn’t working to navigate around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

hurrikennyandopo ...

hi

if it is this bug as mentioned below some people say the tool does it and others say typing in this for windows 10 below does it.

When i had the problem i typed it in for windows 10 before the tool and it fixed it for a couple of people but it has to be done to the T.

Did you try the tool that is mentioned below it?

Gene nz

On 20/01/2019 5:29 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I have had this problem for a long time and have reported it numerous times, but nobody seems to be interested in fixing
it. It's not just with Chrome but with Firefox also. It's something in Windows that NVDA doesn't handle. It's not just a
matter of registerinnng dlls. I've tried that.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 03:39:23PM -0600, Greg Rhodes wrote:
I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10, version 1809. After doing a search, I can’t get single key navigation to work (even though I have gone into browse mode). Also when I went to nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation wasn’t working to navigate around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

Hmmm.

How long have you been running your instalation of windows for.

This is probably an unexplained issue.

have you run dism and sfc, I forget the comand for dism.

Usually I just reformat.

And usually its what I do first off.

Its usually not worth trying to research any of these issues especially if its so obscure.

I mean sure, some coded component is probably dammaged but unless you really need it like immediately then it is not worth doing.

The only situation where I had to really push it was when I had an emergency fix up job on a system for a family member that handled a business.

He had a 3 day deadline and he needed to get the system free of malware.

Freeing the system of malware wasn't the problem but fixing the dammage was.

I would have usually just reformat and restored everything from the backup drives.

But we were not ready for that and I had no software.

I spent the next 48 hours researching, and I barely slept those 2 days, drinking at least 2 6 packs of v every 3 hours or so to keep awake.

I got the thing fixed after searching all sorts of sites, finally after searching some dodgy hacking sites I got a fix program which fixed the issue but I usually just reformat and do it properly.

Windows is far to complex if it breaks to even attempt to fix.

On 20/01/2019 5:29 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I have had this problem for a long time and have reported it numerous times, but nobody seems to be interested in fixing
it. It's not just with Chrome but with Firefox also. It's something in Windows that NVDA doesn't handle. It's not just a
matter of registerinnng dlls. I've tried that.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 03:39:23PM -0600, Greg Rhodes wrote:
I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10, version 1809. After doing a search, I can’t get single key navigation to work (even though I have gone into browse mode). Also when I went to nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation wasn’t working to navigate around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

Brian's Mail list account

Yes but there are some common problems with dlls that do not get put back after an uninstall, but the only real damage I see my end is lack of dropbox property sheets and log in etc, and we all know it was caused by avast anti virus which seems to be implicated, or at least the removal of it is implicated in a large number of unexplained Windows problems if its been on a system. Sadly Avast cannot or will not admit to the problems they cause with their avastclean program. In my view any bit of software that cannot uninstall and leave things as they used to be is to be avoided for ever.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

My message was on topic, since I am using Chrome.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 11:44:35PM -0600, Gene wrote:
[...]

Please read my answers carefully.  I didn't say anything about whether your message is on topic.  I said to start a new thread; don't just reply to an old one and change the subject line and I explained why.

If you no longer have my message, it is reproduced in this thread below our current messages.

Gene, Moderator

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 2:40 PM

My message was on topic, since I am using Chrome.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 11:44:35PM -0600, Gene wrote:
> Please start a new thread when starting a new topic.  Don't reply to an old one, change the subject line, then write the message.  If you do that, people who read mail by conversation will see it in the wrong conversation.
>
> Gene, moderator

When I got my desktop machine with Windows Pro a couple of years ago the quick navigation keys worked. When I installed
Microsoft Office they stopped working. My computer vendor tried to track down the pproblem, but couldn't. One weird
think was that the quick navigation keys would work when they accessed the machine remotely, but they wouldn't work for
me at home. I got a notebook computer with Windows Home about a year ago. The vendor configured it according to my
specifications. The quick navigation keys never worked.

I'm glad somebody else has this problem. maybe the developers will look into it, even though it is obscure and would be
hard to replicate.

Thanks,
John

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 09:12:13PM +1300, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Brian K. Lingard

Dear John & List:
Have you tried running this issue by the MAS Disability Answer Group? They may have again answer or escalate it to engineering for you. Brian K. Lingard