getting rid of norton security tool

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

Hi,

I installed adobe digital editions to read epub books. It asked me if I wanted to also install norton security scan. I clicked disagree, no, no thanks, etcetera with jaws/NVDA mouse cursor. But it installed it anyway along with some norton product thing which seems to have gone away. It also installed a chrome extension that i removed. I tried using the norton removal tool with OCR but this stubborn norton security scan just will not go away! So how do I remove it? Should I just reset windows10 wipe out everything and reinstall and re-set everything back up on my RCA cambio tablet laptop? I tried uninstalling from both control panel and the windows 10 settings app but no luck. this stubborn norton security scan still seems to stick around. Would malware bytes remove it perhaps? or is there an accessible revo uninstaller or force program remover tool that will uninstall it? the norton removal utility tool did not help at all.

thanks,

josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does taking the machine back to before digital editions remove it? If no then its one of those horrible pest type programs like Avast which I wish I'd never heard of.

I've said it before, but any bit of software that when uninstalled does not leave the machine in exactly the same condition as before is to be avoided in my view. Its odd that it seems that the problem is nearly always due to a security product.
I guess if it were easy to remove by third party software then it would be easy to disable it by some kind of malware.
Often uninstalling these tools in safe mode works a whole lot better as then the running services do not tend to reinstall their components on the reboot.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

hi.
i realized that geek uninsttaller has capability of removing stubborn
program, but not sure that does this remove norton or not!
its free and portable and you can test it yourself.
hope that helps, God bless!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out everything. But is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions for reading epub books? or is there an adobe digital editions without the  norton security junk?

Gene

There are all sorts of ways to read EPUB books.  I think there is even an add-on for Firefox.

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting rid of norton security tool

I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out everything. But is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions for reading epub books? or is there an adobe digital editions without the  norton security junk?

i think that you can use azardi for reading books.
not sure that does it contain or bundle some other programs or not.

There are all sorts of ways to read EPUB books. I think there is even an
add-on for Firefox.

I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out everything. But
is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions for reading epub
books? or is there an adobe digital editions without the norton security
junk?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

If your epub books are DRM free, reading them is as easy as unzipping them, and loading them into your favorite web browser.  This is how I read all of my epub books.  Then again, I refuse to pay for DRM encrypted books if I can help it, so your mileage may vary.

On 1/21/2019 9:03 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out everything. But is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions for reading epub books? or is there an adobe digital editions without the  norton security junk?

really?
do you mean that i can read free epub books with my firefox?
can someone send me the example link?

On 1/21/19, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:
[...]

I don't have any example links for you, but if you take a look at smashwords.com, there's all kinds of books there, and there are plenty of free ones to choose from as well, just grab one, download it, unzip it, and find the proper files on your pc, then open them in your browser.  It works perfectly.  You won't have the navigation commands like previous and next chapters, but it's easy enough to either change the url in the address bar, or just use your file browser of choice to find the next one and click on it to open it for you.  Generally though, you'll not find the files at the root of the unzipped folder, as that's where all the control files are.  You'll generally find them in a folder called oebps, though the folder name can change, depending on what software was used to create the epub book.  I've seen oebps, text, html and others.  I have also seen where everything is at the top level, (though only once), so you may need to do some detective work to find the correct files, but after you locate them, it's trivially easy to load them into your browser.

Again, I must stress the fact that this method won't work with DRM encrypted files, as those are stored in an encrypted format, and your browser won't know how to decrypt the files for display.

On 1/21/2019 1:10 PM, zahra wrote:
really?
do you mean that i can read free epub books with my firefox?
can someone send me the example link?

On 1/21/19, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:
If your epub books are DRM free, reading them is as easy as unzipping
them, and loading them into your favorite web browser. This is how I
read all of my epub books.  Then again, I refuse to pay for DRM
encrypted books if I can help it, so your mileage may vary.

On 1/21/2019 9:03 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out
everything. But is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions
for reading epub books? or is there an adobe digital editions without
the  norton security junk?

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I want to read epub books downloaded from bookshare. will that ezardi epub reader work? if i can get it from ninite then there will be no junkware along with it.

Tony Ballou

Hi,

The last time I did anything with uninstalling Norton products was 2006, and it sounds like the procedure unfortunately hasn't changed since then.  It's still there because the registry key is still on your system.  This also hast to be deleted. I don't know how comfortable you feel about going into your system's registry editor and deleting keys.  In  my experiences with helping people, most of them don't. If you know someone who knows how to properly work in there, have them do it; or call the Microsoft disability line for assistance. Hope this helps.

tony