From: "Christo de Klerk" <christodeklerk@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:24 AM
Subject: [nvda] Emoji in Office 365

Hello NVDA developers

A friend who is not on this list asked me to report that when using NVDA with Office 365 emoji are not shown; instead the number 12 appears in the text. This only happens in Office 365 and not in older versions of Office. He says that the opposition Shark handles emoji perfectly in 365. Is this a know issue?

Kind regards

Christo

Quentin Christensen

Hi Christo,

Can you please advise the steps to reproduce this?

Which Office program?  Which emoji character?  If it's a document you have been sent, if you are able to forward it to info@..., I can have a look at the same file, otherwise, if it's one (or several) emojis, please advise how to select the appropriate one(s).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Christo de Klerk

Hello Quentin

Thank you for responding and for showing an interest to try and assist.

My friend provided the following steps to duplicate the problem:

Begin quote:

    Steps to reproduce

 1. Use Office 365 with latest updates and latest official NVDA release. The
    issue was present with previous Office 365 updates and NVDA versions too though.
 2. Open a blank MS Word document or new message in Outlook.
 3. Use the normal method to insert an emoji using the keyboard.

    Outcome when using NVDA

 1. Instead of producing the chosen emoji, NVDA inserts the digits "12".
 2. There is no way to ascertain if the correct emoji was inserted.
 3. When saving the document or draft, it is saved with the name 12, explained
    above.

    Outcome when using JAWS 2019

  * The emoji is correctly reported with no unexpected behaviour.

The bug has previously been reported to Joseph Lee, who blamed the shortcoming
on Microsoft Office. This clearly is not the case, as outlined above.

End quote

Kind regards

Christo

been sent, if you are able to forward it to info@nvaccess.org, I can have a

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:24 PM Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello NVDA developers

A friend who is not on this list asked me to report that when using NVDA
with Office 365 emoji are not shown; instead the number 12 appears in
the text. This only happens in Office 365 and not in older versions of
Office. He says that the opposition Shark handles emoji perfectly in
365. Is this a know issue?

Kind regards

Christo

Ralf Kefferpuetz

This is also in Outlook 2013, just type a smiley like ": )", ": - )" or "; - )" (without the spaces)
They all will be reported as 12.

wrote:

Hello NVDA developers

A friend who is not on this list asked me to report that when using NVDA
with Office 365 emoji are not shown; instead the number 12 appears in
the text. This only happens in Office 365 and not in older versions of
Office. He says that the opposition Shark handles emoji perfectly in
365. Is this a know issue?

Kind regards

Christo

Quentin Christensen

I can also reproduce this in Office 365.  Interesting that it's happening in Office 2013 as well, which version of Windows are you using Ralph?

We do have an open issue on this: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/9120 that was opened a couple of weeks ago.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Latest Win10 1809, but it was the same as long I can remember…

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Oops, that’s not correct, sorry, at home I’m using Win10 1809 with Office 365  and at work Office 2013 with Win 10 bbuild before 1809. But it is the same since ages, not depending from what Windows 10 version.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ralf Kefferpuetz

And I’m using english OS and english Office on both systems…