Topics

Urgent Help With Accessing Google Drive and Docs

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I will now be required, for certain essential activities, be required
to extensively use Google Docs and in extension Google Drive for the
next several months to collaborate on documents. Given this, it is
imperative that I get well acquainted to Drive and Docs. However, that
is precisely what I am struggling with.

* I began reading AFB's NVDA specific tutorials on Google Drive and
Docs, but my experience with Drive is not exactly corresponding to
what has been instructed.
* This includes things like NVDA being very latent in the tree view
item on Google Drive, at random instances simply getting stuck in a
control which has nothing in it until I Tab out of it, all of which is
preventing me from even managing to go inside a folder and view its
files, let alone open a document and edit it.
* Due to these issues, I am currently relying on direct URLs to files
and documents to access them and subsequently work on and contribute
to them. Another alternative approach I have tried to adopt is to add
this particular shared folder to my own Drive, such that I can access
it on Windows Explorer on my PC itself. In this scenario, there are a
number of important files that are missing from the folder on my
computer which I have had confirmed with my collaborators. Backup and
Sync from Google on my computer contradictorily claims that everything
has been updated.

I am unclear on how to resolve NVDA's laggy behaviour on Google Drive
on the web or instead be able to get all the files in the shared
folder as they are newly created and updated on my computer. I would
greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions on a more elegant means of
using Google Drive and Docs. Things I intend to try for now are
confined to switching from Firefox to Chrome in hopes that an
alternate web browser may provide better support for NVDA with
Google's web apps.

Thanks.

P.S. I did press Ctrl+Alt+Z to enable screen reader support in Docs,
and switched views in Drive from grid to list.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Twitter: @BhavyaShah125
Skype: bhavya.09

sampath raj rao

Hi I too need some guidance in using Drive, I get many official docs
through whatsapp and upload the docs to drive from my mobile-whatsapp,
but how to download the files from drive into my laptop is tricky, how
to view the downloaded files in drive? how to download the docs to my
laptop?

On 1/21/19, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I could not get on with the new version of docs and drive either.
Indeed since I don't need it I gave up.
Somebody here may well be a whizz kiid on this, but on Windows 7 I got nowhere with the shark or nvda, other than locking up the pc at regular intervals.
This is why I have reservations about these kind of cloud based systems to edit documents. In theory its great... but Google seem unable to leave stuff alone for more than a month or so.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I also can't stand the new google docs or drive. Im on a mac and I just can't access anything. Right now google sheets is a pile of poop. I have not tried it on the pc, but I would not be surprised as I too am having the same issues on the mac side of things.

Take care

On 21 Jan 2019, at 7:12, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

I could not get on with the new version of docs and drive either.
Indeed since I don't need it I gave up.
Somebody here may well be a whizz kiid on this, but on Windows 7 I got nowhere with the shark or nvda, other than locking up the pc at regular intervals.
This is why I have reservations about these kind of cloud based systems to edit documents. In theory its great... but Google seem unable to leave stuff alone for more than a month or so.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bhavya shah" <bhavya.shah125@...>
[...]

mohammad suliman

Hi bhavya,
I my self haven't used docs extensively, so can't comment on your findings. However, my suggestion to you is to post this on accessible, the official google group from google for discussing the accessibility of the different google products I think, and see whether you will get an answer which helps, at-least hopefully your experience will reach the rite people at google. You can find more about this group in the link:
Hope you the best

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 12:29 Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

There are definitely some peculiarities in how NVDA is interacting with Google Drive's web interface, and I cannot be certain whether it's an NVDA issue or a page design issue.  One of the things that's peculiar is when you have the drive in list view it is presented visually as a list, NVDA announces it as a table (which it could be), but then when you land on any line item in the list/table it consistently says "one of one."

I do not have lagging in Chrome, and have not tested Firefox.   I've got zero issues using Google Backup & Sync where Google Drive shows up in my File Explorer just like any other file or folder does.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Also, if you are using Backup & Sync to get your Google Drive on your computer, make sure you're logging in to sync the Google Account (and it's corresponding drive) you think you are.   There have been a couple of instances I've encountered where people have multiple Google Accounts and set up the wrong one in Backup & Sync.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Right. I'm also a member of that group. I will do the same.

Take care

On 21 Jan 2019, at 11:00, mohammad suliman wrote:

[...]

hi.
i tested google drive web interface ocr one time and even i could not
find brows button to attach my pdf file for ocr!
not sure whats the reason.
as you know, i use windows xp with firefox 52esr.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!forum/accessible

wrote:

[...]

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons:
https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Twitter: @BhavyaShah125
Skype: bhavya.09

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Sam, Bhava & List:

Have you discussed your difficulties using Google Documents & Google Drive with the MS disability ANSWER folks? They may have a remedy or workaround.
Brian K. Lingard

Hi I too need some guidance in using Drive, I get many official docs through WhatsApp and upload the docs to drive from my mobile-whatsapp, but how to download the files from drive into my laptop is tricky, how to view the downloaded files in drive? How to download the docs to my laptop?

On 1/21/19, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
Dear all,

I will now be required, for certain essential activities, be required
To extensively use Google Docs and in extension Google Drive for the
Next several months to collaborate on documents. Given this, it is
Imperative that I am well acquainted to Drive and Docs. However, that
[...]

I am unclear on how to resolve Nevada's laggy behaviour on Google Drive
[...]

Ann Byrne

National braille Press has a $12 book on accessing Google drive/sheets/docs/slides etc. It is well done. available in Braile, ebook something or other, Word, and I don't remember the other formats.

At 10:01 AM 1/22/2019, you wrote:
[...]

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

it just so happens that in an email message I received from Mystic Access, they mention a book they've just produced on how to use the Google suite of products with your PC. They also have an audio tutorial. You can visit them at http://www.mysticaccess.com to learn more about all their products. I just completed their Wordpress course, and I've used some of their other tutorials and products, and they're all great, so I highly recommend them. Good luck.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

Ann Byrne

The book is excellent. I spent the morning curled up with it. At $12, it's a steal!

<http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com>http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com