Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows Defender Adequate?

For more than two years I have relied only on Windows Defender plus MalWare Bytes. Now I am purchasing a new Dell Inspiron. Any thoughts about whether Windows Defender provides adequate protection?

Ralph

P. Otter

now at this moment I've the same antivirus configuration.
when you are  carefull and for normal use its enough
but when you're visiting illegal sites it is better to use another read better antivirus scanner.
but the problem is that most scanners are not or bad accessible

cheers
paul otter

Op 21-1-2019 om 16:21 schreef Ralph Boersema:

For more than two years I have relied only on Windows Defender plus MalWare Bytes. Now I am purchasing a new Dell Inspiron. Any thoughts about whether Windows Defender provides adequate protection?

Ralph

Ralph,

              The improvements to Windows Defender, now Windows Security as of Version 1809, have been huge over the last several years, and the results of third-party lab tests indicate this.

               Although I have Malwarebytes on my system (free version, manual scans) too, I cannot even recall the last time I used it.  It was always a backup tool for the "in case I somehow become infected" circumstance, and I have not had an infection on any of my systems in probably 20 years or longer now.

See the most recent plus the last several years of historical test results from:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Bob Jutzi

I've relied on it for the past few years with no problems.

On 1/21/2019 10:48 AM, P. Otter wrote:
now at this moment I've the same antivirus configuration.
when you are  carefull and for normal use its enough
but when you're visiting illegal sites it is better to use another read better antivirus scanner.
but the problem is that most scanners are not or bad accessible

cheers
paul otter

Op 21-1-2019 om 16:21 schreef Ralph Boersema:

For more than two years I have relied only on Windows Defender plus MalWare Bytes. Now I am purchasing a new Dell Inspiron. Any thoughts about whether Windows Defender provides adequate protection?

Ralph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well whatever you do steer clear of avast, avg and norton, all have issues of accessibility or they are often hard to remove and have been known to stop certain accessible bits of windows from working for ever after being removed. I speak from experience of two or them and reading here about the other. Where that leaves you is anybodies guess but one has to realise I think with malware in general, there is no perfect answer. there needs to be a certain number of people infected before anyone can block it.
Also of course the best anti virus software is between your or the users ears, ie be sensible.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

For more than two years I have relied only on Windows Defender plus MalWare
Bytes. Now I am purchasing a new Dell Inspiron. Any thoughts about whether
Windows Defender provides adequate protection?

Ralph

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Ralph, Gene & List:

I purchased WEB Root Internet Security Everywhere from my Tech person who is a member of Nerds on Site.

Has a subscription, believe I bought the three-year one. He swears by it. Has updates sometimes hourly.

He used to receive crisis calls from clients using their PC for business who found they had a virus. After he started installing Web Root on their systems, the crisis calls have almost all stopped. He still drops by their offices every few months to do a scan using his anti-virus scanners; just to be sure, nothing has sneaked in. Says he seldom finds anything.

To make the program configurable or stoppable with speech or Braille, remove the Captcha it has to stop or configure it. I had help from one of his or her techs with this; however, anyone sighted can do it for you.

Their web site is HTTP://www.webroot.com;

I wonder why this is being asked on the NVDA list. There are other forums available, such as blindtech.

Brian K. Lingard

Web site is: -year one. Same firm has versions for IOS, Android, and Mac. Worth its subscription.

Firm is in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado, on Mountain Standard Time, 7 hours behind GMT.

Brian K. Lingard