NVDA and ads blocker

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Hi All,

Today some pages are so riddled with long links that are ads, some of which are several lines long, making reading with a screen reader very annoying and difficult.  Example of pages are Breitbart.com, wnd.com… they are becoming very common which, in my view, is a violation of the ADA that we may need to look into and report.

Is there any way to skip the ads?  Is there a freeware ads blocker that works well with NVDA?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Gene

The ADA says things should be accessible.  I don't know if inconvenience ever rises to a level of a violation of accessibility laws, but it often doesn't.  I would suggest, when problems of formatting or such as you are describing now are found, that you ask if people know of ways to reduce or eliminate the problem instead of first resorting to a legal remedy which you will likely not get support for by institutions or those who bring accessibility actions and which may take a long time to be ejudicated in the court system. 

In this case, while I don't know what browser you are using , try another browser.  Also, if you do or don't want to try another browser first, Some browsers have a reading view.  If they don't, you can use an add-on.  This removes a lot of extraneous material from web pages and it may remove these long links. 

also, there is an NVDA add-on I saw discussed about a month ago that may deal with a problem like yours but I don't recall the name and it may do other things you don't like.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:22 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

Hi All,

Today some pages are so riddled with long links that are ads, some of which are several lines long, making reading with a screen reader very annoying and difficult.  Example of pages are Breitbart.com, wnd.com… they are becoming very common which, in my view, is a violation of the ADA that we may need to look into and report.

Is there any way to skip the ads?  Is there a freeware ads blocker that works well with NVDA?

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Gene

Also, you gave site URLS.  Please give a page where such links occur?  I have no idea what article or articles may contain them and it is a waste of time to read full articles, perhaps many, to find one of these links.  If you cite one specific article, I'll read it and I'll try reading view and perhaps another way around the problem.

Gene

Hi All,

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Lino Morales

Pascale I don’t believe these sites violate the ADA. It’s a bit of a stretch to even go that far. I do understand where your coming from because I do visit:

www.wnd.com

a lot. The only solution is using JAWS’s Flexible Web feature which is beyond the scope of this list. The sites are a bear to navigate that’s for sure.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:22:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi All,

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

The uBlock Origin ad blocker works beautifully with both Firefox and Chrome.  It's not an accessibility issue if you're bought.barded with the same ads as everyone else is. I haven't browsed without an ad blocker for many years now because the ads are ubiquitous and distracting.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Lino Morales

Brian does it weed out most of the adds on news sites etc. You’ve talked about this extention before.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:16:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

The uBlock Origin ad blocker works beautifully with both Firefox and Chrome.  It's not an accessibility issue if you're bought.barded with the same ads as everyone else is. I haven't browsed without an ad blocker for many years now because the ads are ubiquitous and distracting.
--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

Tony Malykh

Hi Pascal,
1. Try my TextNav addon for NVDA - It will skip most of the ads
automatically for you. As a bonus, you can also skip over menu items
and other junk on the web pages with it.
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-text-nav/releases/download/v1.0/textnav-1.0.nvda-addon
Promo audio and usage explanation (7 minutes audio):
https://soundcloud.com/user-977282820/textnav-promo
2. Alternatively, there are browser extensions that can remove ads for
you. AdBlock and AdBlock+ are the two I know, I think both have
versions for both Chrome and Firefox. Not quite sure about their
accessibility, but from what I remember, you just need to install them
and never touch them again - they'll filter all your traffic for you.

Best
Tony

On 1/22/19, Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi All,

Today some pages are so riddled with long links that are ads, some of which
are several lines long, making reading with a screen reader very annoying
and difficult. Example of pages are Breitbart.com, wnd.com. they are
becoming very common which, in my view, is a violation of the ADA that we
may need to look into and report.

Is there any way to skip the ads? Is there a freeware ads blocker that
works well with NVDA?

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Em 22/01/2019 16:22, Pascal Lambert escreveu:
You could try UBlock Origin, that's the adblocker I'm using right now and it's just perfect for my needs.
I'm using Firefox, so not sure if this is available for other browsers.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Gene

But on this site are these adds or links that are probably image links that lead to advertisements if followed.  Of course, ad blockers block ads but blocking those kind of unlabeled links is something I have no idea if they would do.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:16 PM

--

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 02:19 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Brian does it weed out most of the adds on news sites etc. You’ve talked about this extention before
Simple answer:  yes.    It essentially wipes out all online ads anywhere they occur.   As new ones pop up the set of definitions gets updated very quickly and most of us never see them.  

I can't imagine browsing without an ad blocker.  They drove me mad with the visual distraction (not to mention auditory, for some) well over a decade ago and I cannot imagine that things have gotten any better, probably they've gotten worse.

--

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 03:36 PM, Gene wrote:
But on this site are these adds or links that are probably image links that lead to advertisements if followed.  Of course, ad blockers block ads but blocking those kind of unlabeled links is something I have no idea if they would do.
Any adblocker I am aware of works very much like antivirus in that there are definitions that determine what is blocked.  All that I have used, which includes AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin, wipe out any trace of ads of any sort.

Adblock Plus has "gotten soft" in that they will now by default allow what they call "unobtrusive ads" through, but you can simply check a setting to disable that.  It was a way to fund themselves.  I used it even after that to see what would get through, and I have to say that very little did and what did was, by any definition I'd use, unobtrusive.  This is what caused one of their developers to split off and create uBlock Origin.  I prefer uBlock not so much because it lets nothing through but because it does more than block ads.  It has selective script blocking capability, among a couple of others.

--

Muchisimas gracias Marcio.

Muy amable.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:30 PM

You could try UBlock Origin, that's the adblocker I'm using right now and it's just perfect for my needs.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Hi Tony,
Thank you so much. I'll install it right away as the ads are so annoying when you are reading an article and suddenly you have a road block at times 10 lines long!
Blessings
Pascal

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Malykh
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:30 PM

Hi Pascal,
1. Try my TextNav addon for NVDA - It will skip most of the ads automatically for you. As a bonus, you can also skip over menu items and other junk on the web pages with it.
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-text-nav/releases/download/v1.0/textnav-1.0.nvda-addon
Promo audio and usage explanation (7 minutes audio):
https://soundcloud.com/user-977282820/textnav-promo
2. Alternatively, there are browser extensions that can remove ads for you. AdBlock and AdBlock+ are the two I know, I think both have versions for both Chrome and Firefox. Not quite sure about their accessibility, but from what I remember, you just need to install them and never touch them again - they'll filter all your traffic for you.

Best
Tony

On 1/22/19, Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi All,

Today some pages are so riddled with long links that are ads, some of
which are several lines long, making reading with a screen reader very
annoying and difficult. Example of pages are Breitbart.com, wnd.com.
they are becoming very common which, in my view, is a violation of the
ADA that we may need to look into and report.

Is there any way to skip the ads? Is there a freeware ads blocker
that works well with NVDA?

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Thanks Brian and everyone else who came to the rescue!

Fortunate to have this wonderful list!

Blessings to all

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:16 PM

--

Always glad to help :)

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 22/01/2019 20:06, Pascal Lambert escreveu:

Muchisimas gracias Marcio.

Muy amable.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:30 PM

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Lino Morales

Way worse Bryan. I can attest to this. This is a far better solution than JAW’s Flexible Web. I mean pages regardless of being a news site or not are constantly changing so to me this type of thing they are doing is ineffective IMHO. So don’t get any bright ideas NVDA add-on devs on here. Said add-on should do it no matter what screen reader you use.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:49:58 PM

Brian does it weed out most of the adds on news sites etc. You’ve talked about this extention before
Simple answer:  yes.    It essentially wipes out all online ads anywhere they occur.   As new ones pop up the set of definitions gets updated very quickly and most of us never see them.  

I can't imagine browsing without an ad blocker.  They drove me mad with the visual distraction (not to mention auditory, for some) well over a decade ago and I cannot imagine that things have gotten any better, probably they've gotten worse.

--

Cristóbal

I don’t know if the Jaws Flexible Web main purpose is to work as an add blocker.

I use it to filter out/block elements like in forums (Reddit for example) and other sites/domains where things are pretty constant and just the simple structure of the site is a bit too cluttered for me.

Cristóbal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:43 PM

Way worse Bryan. I can attest to this. This is a far better solution than JAW’s Flexible Web. I mean pages regardless of being a news site or not are constantly changing so to me this type of thing they are doing is ineffective IMHO. So don’t get any bright ideas NVDA add-on devs on here. Said add-on should do it no matter what screen reader you use.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:49:58 PM

--

I was just wandering as the web is getting more and more difficult for us visually impaired and blind person.  It is not only the ads but also videos that suddenly are launched when you are trying to read something and pages that refreshed and you are no longer where you were as what you were reading has moved.  All these annoyances make the web, at times, difficult to navigate.  My first option is coming to this fortunate list and various members have kindly provided various solutions.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:37 PM

The ADA says things should be accessible.  I don't know if inconvenience ever rises to a level of a violation of accessibility laws, but it often doesn't.  I would suggest, when problems of formatting or such as you are describing now are found, that you ask if people know of ways to reduce or eliminate the problem instead of first resorting to a legal remedy which you will likely not get support for by institutions or those who bring accessibility actions and which may take a long time to be ejudicated in the court system. 

In this case, while I don't know what browser you are using , try another browser.  Also, if you do or don't want to try another browser first, Some browsers have a reading view.  If they don't, you can use an add-on.  This removes a lot of extraneous material from web pages and it may remove these long links. 

also, there is an NVDA add-on I saw discussed about a month ago that may deal with a problem like yours but I don't recall the name and it may do other things you don't like.

Gene

Hi All,

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Gene

It appears that on Breitbart.com, some of the ads being referred to are between links for articles.  The message wasn't descriptive of what pages on the site the adds being complained of occur.  If some of the ads appear between the links on the home page, then the NVDA add-on being discussed won't help.  That add-on is to allow you to skip ads in articles.  The reading feature I discussed won't help because that is specifically for reading articles.  It appears that of the options being discussed, ad blockers are the only ones that will solve the problem of ads appearing on pages like the Breitbart.com home page, where there appear to be a lot of them interspersed between article links.  the other remedies for ads, such as the add-on and paragraph reading may be useful.  They may also be used to skip intrusive material that often is placed between paragraphs in articles.  But I'm saying that there are different common interruptions to reading text and mentioning these may be helpful in different contexts.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:49 PM

--

As an aside, for those who use incognito mode in Chrome, you must give any extension (not just uBlock Origin) you wish to allow to run in that mode permission to do so.  There is an Allow in incognito toggle that shows up if you hit the Details button for a given extension.
--