Open Office/libreOffice

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

How are these programs in the realm of accessibility with NVDA? I'm trying to decide if I should switch or uprade to Ofice 365.
***
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
****

OO, Open Office, is a more accessible program than LO is, but it is also a far worse program with missing basic features, such as working with Docx files. LO is a far better program, but if you need something complex for a huge project, neither works well. LiBreOffice is the best open source alternative but is less accessible than OO.

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

i am running 2007. I peeked at office 365 but I did not like what hoops i had to jump through just to save a file.
***
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
****

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

You probably could have saved the file as you do now if you turned back stage view off.  I don't use Word and I'll let those who do discuss that but from discussions I've seen on lists, turning it off removes such annoyances.

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

David Moore

Hi, nvda is very accessible with Microsoft office 365. if you want to use PowerPoint even, it is very accessible within vda. It is very snappy, and EnV access has been working hard to make Microsoft Excel accessible within vda as well. I strongly encourage you to look into getting office 365, because it is the most up-to-date in terms of accessibility. Have a great day, David Moore.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, 6:20 AM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@... wrote:
How are these programs in the realm of accessibility with NVDA? I'm trying to decide if I should switch or uprade to Ofice 365.
***
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
****

I have not touched Office 365, but certain things are very, very, very unlikely to change, ever.

ALT+F, S still does a save as it always has for an existing file that's been saved.

Alt+F,A still does a Save As, though if you want to go straight to the browse dialog add an O after that A, as that forces it to go directly to the browse dialog (and the same is true for the straight save the first time you're saving a file).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brad Snyder

What hoops??
To save a file, all you need to do is press CTRL+S to Save, or ALT followed by F then A to do a Save As.
This is no different than in any previous version of MS Word for Windows.

HTH

- Brad -

On Jan 23, 2019, at 11:22, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:

i am running 2007. I peeked at office 365 but I did not like what hoops i had to jump through just to save a file.
***
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!
****
And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'll *never* use office 365.  I'd rather put up with some access issues than pay for a product that must be paid for each and every year, or you loose the ability to use the program, that's just silly, and companies really be shot for introducing such nonsense.  I know you can still access your documents you already created if you don't pay, but creating new content is off the table at that point, and to me, that's just criminal.  Charge me for updates, that's fine, because then I can choose not to upgrade, but charge for basic use of the program, and hold capabilities back if I don't pay? How's that any different than some of those hackers who hold your files for ransom?

No thanks, no office 365 for me *ever*.

On 1/23/2019 2:41 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I have not touched Office 365, but certain things are very, very, very unlikely to change, ever.

ALT+F, S still does a save as it always has for an existing file that's been saved.

Alt+F,A still does a Save As, though if you want to go straight to the browse dialog add an O after that A, as that forces it to go directly to the browse dialog (and the same is true for the straight save the first time you're saving a file).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

As far as I know, you can purchase Office 365 under another name.  So you aren't being deprived of something you can buy.

people rent homes and apartments, people rent cars, people subscribe to services like Spotify.  Try not making payments to any of those you rent from or whom you have pay monthly for continued service agreements.  You may not like this new model, but there is nothing underhanded or dishonest about it.  But it does mean that some companies make more money over time than if you purchased whatever it is.  But calling such conditions criminal is absurd.  and in the case of Office 365, you can save your files outside of the program.  So you don't have to lose anything.

Gene.

[...]

Edited

On Wed, January 23, 2019, 2:17 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
I'd rather put up with some access issues than pay for a product that must be paid for each and every year, or you loose the ability to use the program, that's just silly, and companies really be shot for introducing such nonsense.
There are so many products that use this service model, and have for many, many years now, that this comment is nonsense.

You can use Office up through 2016 (and I think even 2019) as an installed program if you wish and there will be support for same for some years to come.

You certainly must never have been a JAWS user, either, as their model is very much "as a service" if you wish to have a version of JAWS that's keeping up with "what's happening now."

I strongly prefer installed programs that I am not paying for over time, but there's nothing wrong with selling service in that way.  Buying a high-end version of Office outright is a multi-hundred dollar proposition.  It will take quite a while to equal what you'd have paid for the installed version via "as a service" delivery model and you keep getting updates as well.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Antony Stone

Please note that Gene did not say what is attributed to him below, and in fact
argued coherently against it. The comment was made by Travis.

On Wednesday 23 January 2019 at 22:51:51, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 03:40 PM, Gene wrote:
I'd rather put up with some access issues than pay for a product that
must be paid for each and every year, or you loose the ability to use
the program, that's just silly, and companies really be shot for
introducing such nonsense.
Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 05:04 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Please note that Gene did not say what is attributed to him below, and in fact
argued coherently against it. The comment was made by Travis.
True, and I have no idea how this misattribution happened.  I could have sworn that I replied directly to the post Travis offered, but clearly I used Gene's quote of Travis's material after his own offering.

Gene and I are on the same page, and I had no intention of attributing the comment saying that "as a service delivery is nonsense" [paraphrased] to Gene.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Richard Wells

Gene: Would you tell us how to turn off back stage?

On 1/23/2019 12:09 PM, Gene wrote:
You probably could have saved the file as you do now if you turned back stage view off.  I don't use Word and I'll let those who do discuss that but from discussions I've seen on lists, turning it off removes such annoyances.

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

JM Casey

I just hit f12 to get a slightly different version (I think) of the “save as” dialog box. Using Office 2016 though, not 365.

I did use 365 for a while at work though and didn’t really find significant differences.

You probably could have saved the file as you do now if you turned back stage view off.  I don't use Word and I'll let those who do discuss that but from discussions I've seen on lists, turning it off removes such annoyances.

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

I didn't write that.  That is the message I answered and I strongly disagreed with the opinion of the original poster.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:51 PM

[...]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 06:31 PM, Gene wrote:
I didn't write that.
Which I have already acknowledged.  The misattribution was unintentional.  You, of all people, should know to read through the entirety of a topic before responding.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

I don't use Office and I expect others will explain how to do this.  Until then, I believe that pressing escape will take you out of it but I'm not sure of that.  That is my not necessarily correct recollection of discussions I've seen on a list perhaps a year ago.

Gene

Gene: Would you tell us how to turn off back stage?

On 1/23/2019 12:09 PM, Gene wrote:
You probably could have saved the file as you do now if you turned back stage view off.  I don't use Word and I'll let those who do discuss that but from discussions I've seen on lists, turning it off removes such annoyances.

And the question, "Upgrading from what?/What existing version of Office are you using?," comes to mind.

I just recently upgraded from 2010, which is getting rickety but is still supported, to Office 2016.   Office 2016 will still be supported for some years to come, and with the availability of recycled licenses out of the EU one can upgrade to the top version, Pro Plus, for very little money.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

I appreciate your retraction and I wouldn't have replied further except for your "you should have known better comment.  I haven't thought about what I do much in this respect for quite sometime.  There are times I read a thread before answering and there are times I don't.  it often doesn't arise as an issue because I follow the list often throughout the day.  But getting caught up in a discussion and replying without reading the thread, while it would be better to do otherwise, really doesn't deserve a scolding comment of this type.  I don't see why it deserves one at all.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:33 PM

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 06:31 PM, Gene wrote:
I didn't write that.
Which I have already acknowledged.  The misattribution was unintentional.  You, of all people, should know to read through the entirety of a topic before responding.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

I should say that getting caught up in a discussion and replying, when I'm not far behind in messages, on occasion, really doesn't rise to the level deserving of a scolding comment.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:51 PM