Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:24 PM
Subject: [nvda] table navigation with NVDA in this webpage

Hi,
https://www.smartid.gov.hk/Who-shall-replace-identity-cards/
1. press t to move to the table start
2. press ctrl alt up/down/left cannot move to the next cell of the table

isn't it a problem of nvda or the html code of the site?

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello,

I just visited the page.

NVDA reads the table correctly, saying it has 3 rows and 4 columns.

Navigating with the table navigation commands works properly.

But it seems that the cells are partially empty or may be there is a language that my NVDA version does not recognise?

As Gene wrote, if the table has only one row and one column, it is normal that you cannot move with the navigation commands.

May be the table is updated frequently. This would explain why I see several rows and columns.

Best

Sylvie

Le 25/01/2019 à 02:24, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William a écrit :

Hi,
https://www.smartid.gov.hk/Who-shall-replace-identity-cards/
1. press t to move to the table start
2. press ctrl alt up/down/left cannot move to the next cell of the table

isn't it a problem of nvda or the html code of the site?

Sylvie
Well, it is a Chinese web site, so probably your tts engine may not recognize.

Sylvie Duchateau 於 25/1/2019 15:04 寫道:
[...]

Well, I do hear that NVDA speak table with one row and one column.
problem 1
But, in the webpage, if I press t, it say table with one row and one column, then I press t again , it speak one row and one column again; if I press t again, NVDA said no more table. Actually, if they are each cell regarded as one table, then pressing t again and again should access more of the table.
problem 2
if NVDA really treat the table as one row and one column, then if I press t the first time, then if I press down or left arrow, NVDA should speak end of table and speak end of table and speak message about the new table;
however If i press t the first time and press down arrow, NVDA said column 2; press down arrow again said column 3, etc. which is incorrect of what NVDA speak at the initial state where there is only one row and one column.

Gene

Each thing you are moving to is a different table.  T is to move to the beginning of each table, just as h moves to each heading and b moves to each button.

The movement commands allow you to read a table as it was intended to be read.  But if you down arrow in a table, you will hear each line of the table, all the items from left to right, read as a full line.  If you down arrow, do you hear the table read incorrectly?

Is the code on the page causing NVDA to give incorrect results for the dimensions of the table?  Since I don't understand the site, I can't guess anything from what the site says.  When you look at the table by seeing a description of what it is about on the web page, is information missing?  Or does the title of the table or the one item you can read tell you if you are missing information?

Also, what browser is the person using who sees something like three columns and four rows?  I used Chrome, and I suspect you used a different browser.  Because you are getting different results, that raises the question if this is a browser problem or an NVDA problem?  If you, the person who asked the question, use a different browser, do you see more information when you move through the table with the usual table movement commands?

[...]

I answered your question before I read the second part of your message.  Yes, if you down arrow and see more to the table, the NVDA table movement commands aren't working correctly in the table.  As I said, if you use a different browser, that appears to solve the problem if you use one that allows for proper movement.

But to answer your questions about whether this is a browser problem or a screen-reader problem, I think, I'm not sure, that someone would have to look at the code who is technically knowledgeable about NVDA.  I suspect it’s a browser problem since the behavior appears to vary with the browser being used.

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 4:34 AM

[...]

Ok, thanks.

Gene 於 25/1/2019 22:08 寫道: