NVDA and Excel

Morne van der Merwe

Good day,

I’m using an Acer laptop with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 10 with Office 2016.

NVDA stops talking while I’m working in Excel.  It goes well for a while and suddenly NVDA just stops functioning.  I tried to restart NVDA with no success in an effort to restore speech.  Is there a way to resolve the matter?

Kind regards

Morné

Antony Stone

Does this happen if you start Excel and just add some simple stuff to a few
cells, or is it only if you open a pre-existing spreadsheet?

If it's when you open a pre-existing spreadsheet, does the problem occur only
with one specific spreadsheet, or with several?

What other applications do you generally use, which do not have this problem?

Antony.

On Monday 28 January 2019 at 16:51:50, Morne van der Merwe wrote:

Good day,

I'm using an Acer laptop with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 10
with Office 2016.

NVDA stops talking while I'm working in Excel. It goes well for a while
and suddenly NVDA just stops functioning. I tried to restart NVDA with no
success in an effort to restore speech. Is there a way to resolve the
matter?

Kind regards

Morné
--
Please apologise my errors, since I have a very small device.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...>

I have same issue with Excel 2016 and Windows 10 version 1809. Speech frequently stops. I usually Alt/Tab to Excel again and speech works until it stops again. Then repeat above.

Greg

Hi,

NV Access is aware of this at the moment, and developers are looking into how this and related issues can be addressed to the best of our abilities.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg Rhodes
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Excel

I have same issue with Excel 2016 and Windows 10 version 1809. Speech frequently stops. I usually Alt/Tab to Excel again and speech works until it stops again. Then repeat above.

Greg

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,

I don’t have those symptoms with Office 365 and I’m a full time excel worker. From my point of view there are 3 other criterias that gives Excel and NVDA a poor experience.

1. The way cells are spoken: NVDA speaks first the cell content and at the end the cell coordinates. This is very contra-productive when dealing with long cell contents. The cell content should always be spoken at the end.
  2. Dropdown lists are not accessible and spoken
  3. autoFilter cells are not announced as AutoFilter, so we don’t know if the column has a autoFilter dropdown.

Regards,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Morne van der Merwe
Sent: Montag, 28. Januar 2019 16:52
To: info@...
Cc: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Excel

Good day,

I’m using an Acer laptop with the latest version of NVDA and Windows 10 with Office 2016.

NVDA stops talking while I’m working in Excel.  It goes well for a while and suddenly NVDA just stops functioning.  I tried to restart NVDA with no success in an effort to restore speech.  Is there a way to resolve the matter?

Kind regards

Morné

hi joseph.
which versions of microsoft excel are affected?
is this only excel 2016 or all old and new versions of excel are affected?
thanks so much, God bless you!

On 1/28/19, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

NV Access is aware of this at the moment, and developers are looking into
how this and related issues can be addressed to the best of our abilities.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg Rhodes

I have same issue with Excel 2016 and Windows 10 version 1809. Speech
frequently stops. I usually Alt/Tab to Excel again and speech works until it
stops again. Then repeat above.

Greg

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Hi,
Mostly recent Office 365 versions (Office 2016/2019).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of zahra
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 9:14 AM

hi joseph.
which versions of microsoft excel are affected?
is this only excel 2016 or all old and new versions of excel are affected?
thanks so much, God bless you!

On 1/28/19, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

NV Access is aware of this at the moment, and developers are looking
into how this and related issues can be addressed to the best of our abilities.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg
Rhodes

I have same issue with Excel 2016 and Windows 10 version 1809. Speech
frequently stops. I usually Alt/Tab to Excel again and speech works
until it stops again. Then repeat above.

Greg

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Quentin Christensen

Hi Ralf,

Re your points:
1) There's always going to be differences of opinion around what information should get read first in any situation.  Our rationale for reading the contents before the cell header or coordinates is that if you press right arrow or tab, you can predict that the focus will move from A1 to B1 to C1 etc, and if you are familiar with the spreadsheet, you may know the order of the columns.  What you won't necessarily know, and the most important piece of information about that cell, is the contents.  Some of the work which has been done recently has streamlined some internal processes, so it may be possible to add the ability to re-order speech in future.

2) What kind of dropdown lists are you using?  I just created one using "Data validation", and it identifies (as a submenu), and when navigating through the items (press alt+down arrow to open), it reads each for me.  I'm using NVDA 2018.4.1 and Excel / Office 365 Version: 16.0.11126.20200 

3) This is a known issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6065  I'll chase up where it's at.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:06 AM Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:

Hello,

I don’t have those symptoms with Office 365 and I’m a full time excel worker. From my point of view there are 3 other criterias that gives Excel and NVDA a poor experience.

1. The way cells are spoken: NVDA speaks first the cell content and at the end the cell coordinates. This is very contra-productive when dealing with long cell contents. The cell content should always be spoken at the end.
  2. Dropdown lists are not accessible and spoken
  3. autoFilter cells are not announced as AutoFilter, so we don’t know if the column has a autoFilter dropdown.

Regards,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Morne van der Merwe
Sent: Montag, 28. Januar 2019 16:52
To: info@...
Cc: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Excel

Good day,

Kind regards

Morné

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Hi,
I think I'm having similar, if not exactly the same, issue.
Basically, in Excel, when typing in a cell NVDA won't announce the character when I pressed the backspace key, or when I used the left/right arrow keys to move through the content of the cell. In addition, when I start typing into a cell, NVDA would say 'unknown'.

Quentin Christensen

Ok that issue is one I know how to fix.  We're working to get a proper fix implemented, but in the meantime, what you can do is disable "Allow editing directly in cells":

1. Open Excel
2. Press ALT+F, then T to open the options
3. Press CONTROL+TAB several (Seven on mine) times to get to "Advanced" options.
4. Press ALT+E to toggle "Allow editing directly in cells".  You want to ensure this is unchecked.
5. Press ENTER to accept the changes.

You should now be able to edit the contents of cells and have NVDA report correctly.  If you have sight, one visual difference is that when editing cells, the focus is on the formula bar above the worksheet, whereas with that setting checked, the focus stays in the cell itself - but the end result is the same.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 7:45 PM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:
Hi,
I think I'm having similar, if not exactly the same, issue.
Basically, in Excel, when typing in a cell NVDA won't announce the character when I pressed the backspace key, or when I used the left/right arrow keys to move through the content of the cell. In addition, when I start typing into a cell, NVDA would say 'unknown'.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess