My intro

Kliph <kliphnsharrie.sr@...>

Hello, my name is Kliph. I have been a windows user up until 2011, when I made the switch to MacOS full time. I use windows on occation to do a few things, and now I have office 2019 witch i need windows 10 for. So, does NVDA work with office, or am I wasting my time ? Also, are the commands and keystrokes real different from jaws? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone X

Gene

NVDA works with Office.  It may be more limited than JAWS in terms of available features in Office, but it can do a reasonable amount. 

A lot of what you do with any screen-reader is the same or similar.  You are using Windows or program commands.  In terms of screen review commands and how you change settings such as speech rate, the commands are different.  Many commands, read title bar, announce time, and all the browse commands, b for move to the next button on a web page, x for next check box, h for heading, n for skip blocks of links are the same.  I am not aware of any commands that are different, though there may be this or that command that is when working with browse mode.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:33 PM
Subject: [nvda] My intro

Hello, my name is Kliph.  I have been a windows user up until 2011, when I made the switch to MacOS full time.  I use windows on occation to do a few things, and now I have office 2019 witch i need windows 10 for.  So, does NVDA work with office, or am I wasting my time ?  Also, are the commands and keystrokes real different from jaws?  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone X

Michael Munn

Some command in NVDA are difference.. 
here is the reference guide for the NVDA screen reader: 
Hope you are benefit from this web page. 
Thanks 
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

Quentin Christensen

Hi Kliph,

Welcome to the group!  I just replied to your message in the Windows 10 group with some links to training material and resources (Coming from the Mac, the guides for switching from other Windows screen readers won't be quite as useful, and I haven't seen one for Switching from VoiceOver to NVDA).

Re Office, NVDA is arguably quicker than other screen readers to adapt to changes in Windows and Office.  Microsoft have made some good changes in Office 365 / 2019.  (Office 2019 is a single purchase product, like early versions of Office - you buy it and can use it forever, but won't get updated beyond that version of Office.  Office 365 is a subscription, you pay per year or per month, and always have access to the latest updates to Office, as long as your subscription is up to date).

As well as the Basic Training for NVDA, you may be interested in:
and

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:36 AM Kliph via Groups.Io <kliphnsharrie.sr=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello, my name is Kliph.  I have been a windows user up until 2011, when I made the switch to MacOS full time.  I use windows on occation to do a few things, and now I have office 2019 witch i need windows 10 for.  So, does NVDA work with office, or am I wasting my time ?  Also, are the commands and keystrokes real different from jaws?  Thanks.

X

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess