Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:15 AM
Subject: [nvda] bug with nvda selection

hi,

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

Quentin Christensen

Because you may not be able to move past the last character with the review cursor, as you usually can in say Word, NVDA selects the character beyond the last one selected to ensure you get everything.  Because of that, it works slightly differently to regular copy, but that's the reasoning.  But yes, you do need to press NVDA+F9, then select all (but the last character) of the text you want to copy first.  Then press NVDA+F10 twice quickly to select and copy.

Kind Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 4:21 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
This isn't a bug.  You must move to the last letter of the last word before copying to the clipboard.  If you are moving by word, you are moving to the beginning of the word and must move by character to the last character.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:15 AM

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

That goes against good design and against the philosophy behind the design of NVDA.  Selecting text should follow the same principle as when you select by character with the application cursor in Windows.  On what basis was it decided that NVDA should have its own selection rules that are completely nonstandard?  Why not give blind people enough credit to believe that they can select correctly using screen review commands?

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:15 AM

hi,

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Raha Tehrani

Hi.
you are right. the same problem exists. it's taken place several times
in my case, I've selected a few lines and I moved to the last letter
of the last word. but NVDA appeared just to select one letter. it was
fixed after I unloaded and reloaded NVDA. I don't have any idea why it
happened but it exists.

On 2/1/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
That goes against good design and against the philosophy behind the design
of NVDA. Selecting text should follow the same principle as when you select
by character with the application cursor in Windows. On what basis was it
decided that NVDA should have its own selection rules that are completely
nonstandard? Why not give blind people enough credit to believe that they
can select correctly using screen review commands?

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

Hi!
The problem with the argument from good design is that there exists no
public definition of what would constitute good design where a screen
reader is concerned. Until we have some science, in terms of studies,
to back up what good screen reader user experience actually means,
it's all a matter of preference. The recent survey may provide some
valid data points but by its nature it primarily selects
English-speaking members of a certain small set of email lists. I
still think the survey was a good idea. I'm merely objectively
pointing out its restrictions.
Also, I don't think that not giving enough credit to blind people is a
relevant factor. Such appeals to guilt only cloud the view and make
people feel bad.
My two cents,
Felix

Am Fr., 1. Feb. 2019 um 03:42 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:

That goes against good design and against the philosophy behind the design of NVDA. Selecting text should follow the same principle as when you select by character with the application cursor in Windows. On what basis was it decided that NVDA should have its own selection rules that are completely nonstandard? Why not give blind people enough credit to believe that they can select correctly using screen review commands?

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Well to be honest, until there is a good design, then it should be able to work with jaws.

Freedomscientiffic is one of the oldest companies, and the way vispero has pushed itself its ensured that it is.

Reguardless of any of your feelings on jaws, yes I have some vary strong feelings round the licencing of jaws, the cost of jaws and I know well enough that some of you have issues with support people there to.

Never the less, like google and others, if it will work on jaws, then there is a really  good chance excluding the scripts of course thats its going to work on nvda or anything else for that matter.

As long as it complies with all the access guidelines as well as the jaws guidelines, excluding jaws scripts of course, then its probably garanteed to run without issue.

Now you can write the program properly, or script it for the readers you want.

Then again, you can probably use tolque or other libraries I think there are a couple that have the controler libraries of the dolphin, windoweyes, jaws and nvda loaded and if it runs to standard its going to work.

Failing that, if you really don't want to bother with that, making it as web friendly as you can will work, and if you really couldn't care less, you may get away with having it run from a brouser  though you will have some other restrictions.

The issue would be if you wanted to use custom images, a custom nonstandard interface or non standard controls.

Thats a lot less commen than it used to be a couple years ago with a lot of stuff being web centric.

Now while nvda can run standard programs and even a few non standard ones with ocr it seems to lend itself to a web style interface.

So programs like thunderbird which are basically glorified web apps will just work for the most part.

On 1/02/2019 9:04 PM, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes though there are worse people doing this than designers of nvda, I can assure you. Certain vendors with names of aquatic mammals come to mind here, based in the UK.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

I'm not 100% sure which bit you're attacking me for there Gene, Is this about review cursor selection taking the character to the right of the selection?

If you could please point me to the published standards for selecting text which specifically cannot be accessed with a text cursor, I will create an issue and raise it with Mick at the earliest opportunity....

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:15 AM

hi,

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I'm not attacking you on anything and I'm not saying your description
is wrong. I'm saying that anywhere else when you select text, browse
mode, the application cursor when in a word processor, etc. the
character to the right of your position is not selected. I'm saying
that it is bad design and a contradiction of the design philosophy of
NVDA that in this one instance, the character to the right of your
position is selected. Text selection should be consistent when using
the review movement keys as anywhere else.

[...]

You don't need science to determine such questions.  its just simple consistency.  If selection is done differently everywhere else, the character you are on is the last character selected, it is bad design to have, in this one instance, the character to the right of your position selected.

Gene

The problem with the argument from good design is that there exists no
public definition of what would constitute good design where a screen
reader is concerned. Until we have some science, in terms of studies,
to back up what good screen reader user experience actually means,
it's all a matter of preference. The recent survey may provide some
valid data points but by its nature it primarily selects
English-speaking members of a certain small set of email lists. I
still think the survey was a good idea. I'm merely objectively
pointing out its restrictions.
Also, I don't think that not giving enough credit to blind people is a
relevant factor. Such appeals to guilt only cloud the view and make
people feel bad.
My two cents,
Felix

Am Fr., 1. Feb. 2019 um 03:42 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:

> That goes against good design and against the philosophy behind the design of NVDA.  Selecting text should follow the same principle as when you select by character with the application cursor in Windows.  On what basis was it decided that NVDA should have its own selection rules that are completely nonstandard?  Why not give blind people enough credit to believe that they can select correctly using screen review commands?
>
> Gene

Gene

Also, refering to my last answer, in your discussion of science and good design, I don't know if you are responding to my comments.  This part of the thread is about how selection is done using the review keys as opposed to everywhere else in Windows and Windows programs.  Your answer seems to be aimed at a criticism of the survey itself.  That isn't what is being discussed here.