Dropbox nag screens now appearing

Brian's Mail list account

I opened up my computer yesterday t9o be greeted by Pane.
I eventually managed to fiddle and find the desktop. On asking around the sighted world this morning I discovered that Dropbox latest version puts up a picture on every boot up showing a dog doing work, promoting the business Dropbox subscription. Its a cartoon apparently. However whatever ist is nvda/f1 says its a button not focussed and has an exception number.
Has anyone else not seen this?

I personally feel that if they want to advertise, then fine but at least make it obvious its them to a screenreader user.
Blimey.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Felix G.

Hi,
unfortunately they have never been interested in accessibility. I once
had problems with the website and contacted their support staff, who
flatly proclaimed that accessibility was an unsupported feature. They
seemed incapable of grasping that accessibility is not, strictly
speaking, a feature but rather lack of it constitutes a bug, just as
lack of security or reliability does. Just imagine asking your bank
about the security of their home banking, and their response being
that this feature is currently not supported.
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 1. Feb. 2019 um 11:08 Uhr schrieb Brian's Mail list account
via Groups.Io <bglists@...>:

I opened up my computer yesterday t9o be greeted by Pane.
I eventually managed to fiddle and find the desktop. On asking around the
sighted world this morning I discovered that Dropbox latest version puts up
a picture on every boot up showing a dog doing work, promoting the business
Dropbox subscription. Its a cartoon apparently. However whatever ist is
nvda/f1 says its a button not focussed and has an exception number.
Has anyone else not seen this?

I personally feel that if they want to advertise, then fine but at least
make it obvious its them to a screenreader user.
Blimey.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

It may be that at times, they haven't been interested but at other times, they have done good work, when presented with problems.  They made the desktop application considerably more accessible once some users complained about a newer version of the program being less accessible than an older one.

A bug is not a design decision or oversight.  A bug is unanticipated problems.  If a program is designed without accessibility, it is a moral and ethical and legal problem as well as a human problem.  It isn't a bug.  If language is used improperly, it will muddy thinking and confuse issues.  It may make it harder to concentrate on what is important.

via Groups.Io <bglists@...>:

> I opened up my computer yesterday t9o be greeted by  Pane.
>  I eventually managed to  fiddle and find the desktop. On asking around the
> sighted world this morning I discovered that Dropbox latest version puts up
> a picture on every boot up  showing a dog doing work, promoting the business
> Dropbox subscription. Its a cartoon apparently. However whatever ist is
> nvda/f1 says its a button not focussed and has an exception number.
>  Has anyone else not seen this?
>
>  I personally feel that if they want to advertise, then fine but at least
> make it obvious its them to a screenreader user.
>  Blimey.
>  Brian
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

Really they should be adopting good practice though. However at the moment the other issue I have is as I've said here before, on my windows 7 box the dialogues and log in screen are just blank as far as nvda are concerned. I suspect that a file or registry corruption has occurred but there are no real clues and so I cannot really report that issue as others here say they work for them. here we get a blank pane and an exception in the log of nvda. Cfc says no issues either but it uses QT extensively and so I suspect that a dll is either out of date or not registered and I'm not inclined to reinstall windows to fix one problem with one piece of software when at some point it will need to be upgraded to windows 10 in any case.
I know the nag screen is inaccessible as others have said so so I feel on more solid ground there.

Yes they do fix problems in the desktop application but the web site builders seem a tougher nut to crack.