Topics

Meandering NVDA Miscellany (including that it's alive and well)

Sharni-Lee Ward

Hi,

I haven't updated NVDA since 2018.1 due to issues that seemed to crop up
around every release. Now I'm hearing from others in a Skype group I'm a
member of that NVDA has been going downhill since Jamie left the project
and it's going to die outright soon because it can't keep up with
competition.

NVDA has been my screen-reader of choice since I discovered it in late
2011 and I don't want it to be forever lost. I can't donate right now,
and I'm not a programmer, but is there anything I can do to help? This
project has been a faithful friend to me and I want to fight for it in
any way I possibly can.

Sky Mundell

I don't want it to die, and I don't think it will die because if it does the community can pick up where they left off, and that is the beauty of an open source product.

I haven't updated NVDA since 2018.1 due to issues that seemed to crop up
around every release. Now I'm hearing from others in a Skype group I'm a
member of that NVDA has been going downhill since Jamie left the project
and it's going to die outright soon because it can't keep up with
competition.

NVDA has been my screen-reader of choice since I discovered it in late
2011 and I don't want it to be forever lost. I can't donate right now,
and I'm not a programmer, but is there anything I can do to help? This
project has been a faithful friend to me and I want to fight for it in
any way I possibly can.

Sharni-Lee Ward

The people saying this were saying if it was going to keep up, you'd
need a professional programmer who would need to be paid...

I don't want it to die, and I don't think it will die because if it does the community can pick up where they left off, and that is the beauty of an open source product.
I haven't updated NVDA since 2018.1 due to issues that seemed to crop up
around every release. Now I'm hearing from others in a Skype group I'm a
member of that NVDA has been going downhill since Jamie left the project
and it's going to die outright soon because it can't keep up with
competition.

NVDA has been my screen-reader of choice since I discovered it in late
2011 and I don't want it to be forever lost. I can't donate right now,
and I'm not a programmer, but is there anything I can do to help? This
project has been a faithful friend to me and I want to fight for it in
any way I possibly can.

I totally disagree. NVDA has been great, and will continue to be great. I believe 2019.1 is due soon and I believe it fixes the problem I'm having with Excel.
You don't really need a professional developer for NVDA to be great, you just need community effort.
I know I haven't use NVDA much on my desktop, but that's just because I'm too lazy to upgrade to Windows 10. Right now I decided to just waited out until I can get a new desktop that already comes Windows 10.

Mobeen Iqbal

Well Said. NVDA certainly doesn't seem to be dying. That's the beauty of a community led and open source project. You should see some of the complaints I've seen on groups recently about jaws 2019. that's a commercial product and people are downgrading to jaws 2018 because that worked better for them, despite all the supposed improvements. Many people I know are switching from jaws to NVDA because it works much better for them, both in a business and home environment. No screen reader is perfect. But accessibility has come a really long way and long may NVDA continue to thrive.

Mo.

On 03/02/2019 02:10, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
I totally disagree. NVDA has been great, and will continue to be great. I believe 2019.1 is due soon and I believe it fixes the problem I'm having with Excel.
You don't really need a professional developer for NVDA to be great, you just need community effort.
I know I haven't use NVDA much on my desktop, but that's just because I'm too lazy to upgrade to Windows 10. Right now I decided to just waited out until I can get a new desktop that already comes Windows 10.

Lino Morales

I don’t know where the hell you heard that on the Skype group. Are you on the Skype English group? I’ve not seen any such messages about NVDA going down hill since James left. Mike, Quenton, and Rafe Turner are doing a fine job down under along with the devs who are part of the NVDA add-ons community.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I haven't updated NVDA since 2018.1 due to issues that seemed to crop up
around every release. Now I'm hearing from others in a Skype group I'm a
member of that NVDA has been going downhill since Jamie left the project
and it's going to die outright soon because it can't keep up with
competition.

NVDA has been my screen-reader of choice since I discovered it in late
2011 and I don't want it to be forever lost. I can't donate right now,
and I'm not a programmer, but is there anything I can do to help? This
project has been a faithful friend to me and I want to fight for it in
any way I possibly can.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Is 2019.1 still going to be compatible with Windows 7? Because I'm still using Win 7 on my current computer.

It's really wonderful to hear some more hopeful/positive words on this topic. I've been hearing that NVDA is lagging on the systems of the people in this Skype group and they were crying doom and saying Jaws was performing better than NVDA.

On 3/02/2019 1:21 pm, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:

[...]

It wasn't on an NVDA skype group, just a  misc one for someone's live streams where all sorts of topics come up. There were some complaints about performance issues a couple days ago, and that was where the sentiments I related were mentioned. It upset me quite a bit to hear such things...

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 09:46 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
crying doom and saying Jaws was performing better than NVDA.
And?   There have been times where either one was generally more responsive than the other, and there are still specific tasks where one is more responsive than the other.  Tis' part and parcel of complex software like a screen reader.

Given the nature of NVDA, I doubt they'd disappear without a long (and public) fight first.  This strikes me very much in the same vein as Mark Twain's observations regarding rumors of his death:  "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sharni-Lee Ward

There were like five people or more agreeing with each other about this, some of whom I consider friends and who I believed to be honest people. So when they were saying stuff like this I got anxious...

On 3/02/2019 2:42 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 09:46 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
crying doom and saying Jaws was performing better than NVDA.
And?   There have been times where either one was generally more responsive than the other, and there are still specific tasks where one is more responsive than the other.  Tis' part and parcel of complex software like a screen reader.

Given the nature of NVDA, I doubt they'd disappear without a long (and public) fight first.  This strikes me very much in the same vein as Mark Twain's observations regarding rumors of his death:  "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sadly, thats just some ignorant people being the helpless blind type thing<grin>

Actually this stuff goes on more than the blind.

There are some people that assume to much even in organisations.

X software is cheaper than y software which is better but we are the bosses and the techs don't know what they are talking about.

I had an admin of a large educational institute who has since left now.

THe institute switched  from government control to its own control under a new educational union itself under its own control.

There were a lot of people to comfortable with their positions thats probably changed, anyway, they were happy rubber stamping anything and as long as the price was good or they would have an advantage from it then it worked.

I was told of things like repairs that were cheap to computers to well software not secure but that was cheap so it was  brought, and that no one seem to read up on things before jumping in.

You can actually be totally fine in this day and age being a helpless retard, blind or not.

But if it screws up then you are the headless chicken.

Sadly there are a lot of people, blind, disabled, sightlings that are that way, its probably human nature, I even have family like this so I should know.

Even those that are smart my only conclusion, is that  even if you are smart there is a certain type of smarts to use a computer effectively, and a lot of probably don't have it, or at least not all we should.

I have it but I know I do lack in some places.

My father is partly this way, smart enough but never reads more than half a screen.

A simple task may have him on the other side of the net, not knowing where he went and or how he got there.

On 3/02/2019 4:50 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

[...]

Yes I would feel that way as well. It seemed like those people wanted nvda dead right?

[...]

Ron Canazzi

And don't forget Joseph Lee; he's not exactly chopped liver either.  I mean, I hear so many rumors particularly on the blind lists.

For example, when Window-Eyes or G. W. Micro allied with Microsoft to offer the software free with a purchase of an office product, the blind lists were going wild about the end of Freedom Scientific/VFO.  It turns out that this was not true.  Longer ago than that rumor, we heard that Microsoft was going to get rid of most native Windows shortcut keystrokes: control + shift + N for folder creation; alt + Tab for moving from open window to open window and so on--which would have rendered many navigational aids with screen readers problematic and of course this never happened.

When you start seeing a lack of releases and a lack of updates on the NVDA pages for both basic release and add ons, then you might have something to worry about.  Until then, sleep peacefully.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Those rumors were probably from who have a Windows 10 phobia.  Now there are performance issues with people trying to run the latest version of NVDA on Windows XP or earlier.  That is flatly stated on this and other NVDA lists and websites.

Folks, you have to move on past XP and eventually even Windows 7.  I am very conservative when it comes to changing a system that works well.  I had an XP system at least one of the 3 systems I own until early 2018, but I now have 2 Windows 10 systems playing perfectly with NVDA and I feel a bit better than with JAWS latest release.  I still don't like JAWS identifying the Windows Explorer windows as multi select list boxes and reading every item in the displayed columns. Even with the updated scripts for Thunderbird, JAWS still seems sluggish and clunky when compared to NVDA in that program.

So there you have it--just my 2 cents.

On 2/2/2019 10:36 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

[...]

As far as I could tell, all of the people concerned were on Windows 10, not XP.

I know I'll have to shift away from 7 eventually, but hopefully not any time this year. I will when I must, but as long as the next release of NVDA will work on my Win 7 system, I'll be content.

On 3/02/2019 4:33 pm, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Also, consider what logic and common sense lead to as conclusions.  If NVDA were declining in the ways claimed, you would see a lot of discussion and complaints on this list from users.

I'm not assuming that these people don't have performance issues, but if that were the experience of most users, we'd hear a lot about it on a list devoted to discussing NVDA.

I haven't updated NVDA since 2018.1 due to issues that seemed to crop up
around every release. Now I'm hearing from others in a Skype group I'm a
member of that NVDA has been going downhill since Jamie left the project
and it's going to die outright soon because it can't keep up with
competition.

NVDA has been my screen-reader of choice since I discovered it in late
2011 and I don't want it to be forever lost. I can't donate right now,
and I'm not a programmer, but is there anything I can do to help? This
project has been a faithful friend to me and I want to fight for it in
any way I possibly can.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

j.lancett@...

NVDA is not going anywhere! If you care so much about it, If you are able you should donate. Even if it's just $10 Projects don't come for free. I am not having a dig at any one I have bin running NVDA for about 4 years now and only donated twice, but I do it when I can. In fact I am going to do it rite now. NVDA $20 comming your way!

Thanks Tapper

Adriani Botez

Hello all,

that NVDA is dying is a really really wrong impression and I will try to tell you in some sentences why.

First of all, NVDA 2019.1 will be compatible with Windows 7 and I am sure NVDA 2020.1 will be compatible as well. So no worries on this part so far.

But now let's get to the important facts:
1. NVDA has paid programers (Leonard, Mick, Reef etc.). Apart from that, NVDA has an increasing number of voluntary programers (Dinesh, Joseph, Tony, Robert, Noelia, Abdel, Lukasz and much more). So, in this case I would rather say that this project has much more programers compared to Jaws. Because programers from other companies than Vispero are doing Jaws scripts for individual needs but they are not contributing to the core of jaws. Whereas in NVDA project programers from everywhere in the world contribute to the core of the screen reader. Well, both methods are ok. But NVDA becomes more sustainable because people understand now how this community works.
2. Apart from programers, NVDA has many people which promote it all over the world. I am talking about translators, community maintainers and people like Gene who even maintain very well structured and informativ websites which promote NVDA. I would say NVDA is even more present in Internet if you search for it in google compared to any other screen reader. This is possible because the NVDA project is spread over multiple websites.
3. If you look on Github, you will see that people are still creating issues and developers are still working on them. So we are very very far away from dying. In my view this project is now much more alvie than before because the community grows.
4. Performance issues can be a passion killer for users, but they are normal especially when you adopt new technologies and new principles. So it takes time until you get everything perfect. Note that jaws for example is lacking performance on furface tables whereas NVDA works prety well. Yes, there are also parts where Jaws is better performing, i.e. MS Word. But this will also improve in NVDA 2019.1. And after all, there are several work arounds which improve performance. Users should participate more on github or on this users list to ask if they have problems. And they will get new knowledge and new workarounds for their problems.

And a final conclusion from my side, I think people who are saying this project is dying they are not active on this lists, they are not active on Github or gitter and they are not well informed. I think such people are saying something like this just to feel themselves heared in a discussion but their arguments are not based on true facts.

Best
Adriani