Lite version of Outlook.com

Hi,

Is there a way to force Outlook.com to redirect me to the lite version on Firefox? I tried with IE8 in a Windows XP virtual machine and it defaults to the lite version, and from my tests appears to be very accessible so I wonder whether is there a way to force Outlook.com to redirect me to the lite version on Firefox, latest version on my Windows 7 X64 desktop.

The full version of Outlook.com is slow and not very accessible with either Jaws or NVDA.

Robert Kingett <kingettspeaks@...>

You need to set lite outlook as the default option in your outlook settings but it has been years since so do not know where the check box has moved to.

I saw the check box but it is disabled, below it there's a message saying that it isn't available for Outlook.com, which is strange because the lite version was able to be used when I used IE8 on my XP virtual machine.

This leaves me with 2 options. Either switch to Thunderbird, or try in any way I could to trick Outlook.com into thinking that I'm using IE8, I.E user agent spoofing in Firefox which worked as there's an add on for that, but it's global, which is not what I want as I want the spoofing to occur on Outlook.com only and not everywhere.

I did sent Microsoft a feedback regarding this, but so far they didn't seem to be doing anything about the accessibility issues with the new Outlook.com.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I had a sus for my self. it looks as though it has been stopped in later versions of internet exploder and mozilla fire fox etc.

I do have a windows 10 machine with internet exploder 11 and the latest version of mozilla fire fox.

Open Outlook online
Click on the settings menu (a flower shaped icon)
Arrow down to Options and press Enter
Tab around the page until you finally get to General
Click on general and press Enter
Tab once to go down the list and arrow until you hear Lite Version
Tick the checkbox Use the Lite version of OUtlook

it also gave me a message that after certain versions it was not supported and also the option was not available in outlook.com

it used to work for me, but not sure if it changed when i went to windows 10 or not.

I know when i did notice it i could not really move in it i had to tab etc so set it up in mozilla thunder bird to get those emails and have done that ever since.

Gene nz

On 23/10/2016 11:54 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to force Outlook.com to redirect me to the lite version on Firefox? I tried with IE8 in a Windows XP virtual machine and it defaults to the lite version, and from my tests appears to be very accessible so I wonder whether is there a way to force Outlook.com to redirect me to the lite version on Firefox, latest version on my Windows 7 X64 desktop.

The full version of Outlook.com is slow and not very accessible with either Jaws or NVDA.

When I went into the general setting > lite version I can't even tick the check box; as the check box appears to have been disabled.

I don't know why Microsoft would force people on a modern browser to use the full version; Google's Gmail offers a basic version on all browsers, even on modern ones. And abandoning Outlook.com entirely is not an option as I have to maintain my Office365 subscription. But using Thunderbird, however, is a possibility, the only downside is that it doesn't sync the addressbook with Outlook.com and as of yet I still don't know how to do that in Thunderbird.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not as simple then as cutting and pasting the address from ie8 to another browser I suppose?
These bits of silliness are why I still use email clients not web based email, though the fact that to use webmail means putting your address book online comes a close second.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I saw the check box but it is disabled, below it there's a message saying that it isn't available for Outlook.com, which is strange because the lite version was able to be used when I used IE8 on my XP virtual machine.

This leaves me with 2 options. Either switch to Thunderbird, or try in any way I could to trick Outlook.com into thinking that I'm using IE8, I.E user agent spoofing in Firefox which worked as there's an add on for that, but it's global, which is not what I want as I want the spoofing to occur on Outlook.com only and not everywhere.

I did sent Microsoft a feedback regarding this, but so far they didn't seem to be doing anything about the accessibility issues with the new Outlook.com.

Salva Doménech Miguel <kibayasd@...>

Hi.
I’m not following this tread since you started, but, if I’ve understood good there’s a lite version of Outlook’s Webmail?
Cheers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Supanut Leepaisomboon" <supanut2000@outlook.com>
I saw the check box but it is disabled, below it there's a message saying that it isn't available for Outlook.com, which is strange because the lite version was able to be used when I used IE8 on my XP virtual machine.

This leaves me with 2 options. Either switch to Thunderbird, or try in any way I could to trick Outlook.com into thinking that I'm using IE8, I.E user agent spoofing in Firefox which worked as there's an add on for that, but it's global, which is not what I want as I want the spoofing to occur on Outlook.com only and not everywhere.

I did sent Microsoft a feedback regarding this, but so far they didn't seem to be doing anything about the accessibility issues with the new Outlook.com.

Yes but the Outlook webmail you're talking about is probably the Exchange one, which is not what I'm primarily using. I do have an Exchange account but never really used it at all.

Pauline Smith

I can confirm the difficulty of using the new outlook.com.  I have not been able to successfully read emails from my Hotmail account in quite some time. Tried using NVDA and another screen reader.

Pauline

On 10/23/2016 10:40 AM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:

I saw the check box but it is disabled, below it there's a message saying that it isn't available for Outlook.com, which is strange because the lite version was able to be used when I used IE8 on my XP virtual machine.

This leaves me with 2 options. Either switch to Thunderbird, or try in any way I could to trick Outlook.com into thinking that I'm using IE8, I.E user agent spoofing in Firefox which worked as there's an add on for that, but it's global, which is not what I want as I want the spoofing to occur on Outlook.com only and not everywhere.

I did sent Microsoft a feedback regarding this, but so far they didn't seem to be doing anything about the accessibility issues with the new Outlook.com.

At least for now if I need to send an email, I either do it on my iPhone or use Thunderbird. Checking emails, for me, is way faster on my iPhone...even though when I'm in front of my desktop, I prefer to just open the Mail app on my iPhone instead of opening Thunderbird/Outlook.com itself, even though I have Outlook.com as a pinned tab in Firefox.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm told you can still set it up with pop3 if you want, but I gave up since I found I had to alter settings too often in email software. I really don't know why email suppliers cannot leave well alone and have to fiddle with everything all the time for no apparent gain of any sort.
[...]

Marisane Moruthanyana

Brian and other listers

I am very sad and confused by this.

I've not been able to read my outlook.com emails messages for a while now and this is annoying.

Even when one tries to use it with the desktop outlook, it does not leave one alone.

Settings are no longer easily configured like it used to be.

These tech gurus just want to leave the blind community out of everything.

Let's shout very loudly about this that Microsoft sees how unfairly they're treting us.

Cellphones have gone too much into the touch world leaving us out.

We're today struggling; even just typing an ordinary message becomes a hell lot of energy and effort.

Why are we so done?

I am with whoever is worried by the unnecessary changes Microsoft brought to outlook.com.

Something must be done about this.

Marisane

[...]

Melissa Galbraith <wvflutist@...>

I agree that the blind community has been left out of a lot of things. As for phones, I have an android and I either voice text or use my bluetooth. As for email clients, I really like thunderbird. Gmail is a pain, but when you get it configured to thunderbird, you have the list view right there and can just go down the list.

Melissa