Is there an explanation for this strange NVDA behaviour?

Christo de Klerk

Hello especially to NVDA developers

I have encountered the very strange behaviour I will describe below and wonder if there is an explanation or fix for it. This is what happens:

I have noticed this only in Edge. When my laptop runs on its battery and I do a read to end in Edge, NVDA will read for a few minutes, maybe two or three minutes, then stops reading. When I move my arrow keys, I notice that the cursor position is far behind the point where NVDA stopped reading. When my laptop runs off the mains, this does not happen at all. NVDA reads continuously for however long I want it to read and the cursor keeps up with the reading position. I hope this makes sense, because it is quite bizarre to me.

Kind regards

Christo

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Sounds to me like the processor or some part of the system is slow on batteries. I have noticed that they do tend to throttle processors to conserve battery life. If you recall even Apple did this on their hardware, but did not tell anyone.
How old is the laptop and what sort of spec?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have encountered the very strange behaviour I will describe below and wonder if there is an explanation or fix for it. This is what happens:

I have noticed this only in Edge. When my laptop runs on its battery and I do a read to end in Edge, NVDA will read for a few minutes, maybe two or three minutes, then stops reading. When I move my arrow keys, I notice that the cursor position is far behind the point where NVDA stopped reading. When my laptop runs off the mains, this does not happen at all. NVDA reads continuously for however long I want it to read and the cursor keeps up with the reading position. I hope this makes sense, because it is quite bizarre to me.

Kind regards

Christo

Quentin Christensen

It does indeed sound as Brian describes, when running on battery, the computer is being throttled to conserve power.  I know this was a big issue in the early days of Windows 10 - I don't know whether it's got better, or whether it's just that all the people in the group it affected worked around it?  In any case, the workaround was to go into your power settings and set it for high performance rather than balanced on any of the conservative settings.

Regards

Quentin.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Christo de Klerk

Hi Quentin

I have now figured out that it seems like the strangeness occurs when the screen gets turned off due to no keyboard activity for the duration specified in Power settings. This time was set very short for when the laptop is running on battery. I have substantially increased the time before the screen gets turned off and that fixes the problem for that duration. I am surprised,though, that it should matter to NVDA whether or not the screen turns off.

Kind regards

Christo

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I don't know how long you listen to material using read to end, but I doubt the screen uses that much power.  I would suggest having it on, constantly on.  You can save battery power by lowering the brightness of the screen, but I don't know how bright you should have it set for.  If you are only using the computer yourself, I would think you can set it as low as you are allowed.  The only thing I wonder about is if you set it too low, if sighted people would be able to see it if necessary.  But if you leave the setting at the default for when the computer is running on power, that may not matter.  I'm thinking particularly if you need sighted help with doing some sort of maintenance or with an inaccessible web site or program you have to use for some reason.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Sounds like a power management issue on your laptop rather than NVDA.  This is borne out by the fact you say it works when plugged in.

Go into power management and increase the time things like the hard drive, monitor, etc, switch off.

All the best

Steve

I have encountered the very strange behaviour I will describe below and wonder if there is an explanation or fix for it. This is what happens:

I have noticed this only in Edge. When my laptop runs on its battery and I do a read to end in Edge, NVDA will read for a few minutes, maybe two or three minutes, then stops reading. When I move my arrow keys, I notice that the cursor position is far behind the point where NVDA stopped reading. When my laptop runs off the mains, this does not happen at all. NVDA reads continuously for however long I want it to read and the cursor keeps up with the reading position. I hope this makes sense, because it is quite bizarre to me.

Kind regards

Christo

Steve Nutt

Hi,

You can avoid this by setting power management to high performance, at the sacrifice of battery life.

All the best

Steve