dealing with combo box expansion

Don H

Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page. After entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card instead of Paypal I got to a combo box for selecting the country you are in. I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get the combo box to the correct country. How should I have accessed this combo box?
Thanks

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Heh, Amazon does the same thing when selecting the category you want to search.  Only, there, it goes to the next field, so you need to shift tab, press down arrow, and repeat as necessary until it gets to the proper category for what you want to search for, it's quite irritating.  I generally don't bother to select a category because of that.  It makes for more crap to sort through when the results come up, but it saves me aggravation, so I consider it a fair trade.

On 2/6/2019 2:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page.  After entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card instead of Paypal  I got to a combo box for selecting the country you are in.  I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get the combo box to the correct country.  How should I have accessed this combo box?
Thanks

Ron Canazzi

The standard way of opening combo boxes is alt + down arrow.  On some combo boxes if you hear your screen reader go into edit mode, you can just use the up or down arrows, but if doesn't work use alt + down arrow to open and alt + up arrow to close.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Lou Kolb <loukolb@...>

I haven't tried it, but might first-letter navigation work here once
you open the box? Try pressing U for United States. Often, that gets
me there. Of course, it depends on how many countries whose names
begin with U are listed. Good luck. Lou

On 2/6/2019 2:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page.  After
entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card
instead of Paypal  I got to a combo box for selecting the country you
are in.  I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed
down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the
United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get
the combo box to the correct country.  How should I have accessed this
combo box?
Thanks

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ian Westerland

Hi Lou. I have also found that, for some reason, once the first letter of a country has been pressed, when arrowing, the rest of the boxes speak as expected. I have no explanation for this, but in many cases, that is what happens.

Regards

Ian Westerland

On 2/6/2019 2:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page.  After
entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card
instead of Paypal  I got to a combo box for selecting the country you
are in.  I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed
down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the
United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get
the combo box to the correct country.  How should I have accessed this
combo box?
Thanks

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Lou Kolb <loukolb@...>

Thanks, Ian. I hadn't noticed that but it's sure good to know. every
little bit of info helps. Lou

On 2/6/2019 2:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page.  After
entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card
instead of Paypal  I got to a combo box for selecting the country you
are in.  I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed
down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the
United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get
the combo box to the correct country.  How should I have accessed this
combo box?
Thanks

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Long time since I did this but I think you need to hold down the control key for these boxes. I find it irritating that the world seems unable to standardise on how combo boxes work even in the same form sometimes!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page. After entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card instead of Paypal I got to a combo box for selecting the country you are in. I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get the combo box to the correct country. How should I have accessed this combo box?
Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Sometimes it works that way too., As I say this is a criticism of combo box behaviour and design. I keep forgetting which technique works on which boxes. I place the blame for this squarely on the web designer who cannot be consistent for keybord or even touch users.

On 2/6/2019 2:49 PM, Don H wrote:
Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page. After entering the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card instead of Paypal I got to a combo box for selecting the country you are in. I hit the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed down one time it closed and did not give me the chance to get to the United States. Had to have sighted help using a physical mouse to get the combo box to the correct country. How should I have accessed this combo box?
Thanks

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Steve Nutt

No, it's Alt and down arrow to expand them.

All the best

Steve

Just made a donation to NVDA on their donation web page. After entering
the amount I wanted to donate and picking using a credit card instead of
Paypal I got to a combo box for selecting the country you are in. I hit
the alt space bar to expand the box but when I arrowed down one time it
closed and did not give me the chance to get to the United States. Had to
have sighted help using a physical mouse to get the combo box to the
correct country. How should I have accessed this combo box?
Thanks

Gene

When browse mode is off, use alt down arrow in the combo box before you move around in it.  When you are on the item you want, I believe that either tabbing away or pressing enter will set the combo box to your choice.  You can experiment and see if one or the other works more reliably.  I don't recall ever seeing a combo box where you use control down arrow, which is completely nonstandard and is a Windows command for move to next paragraph.

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 3:14 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'