Topics

Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:

          Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security chief

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now expired, nothing will.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Clarissa Mitchell

I hardly use IE anymore at all. For me, it's either Chrome or Firefox.
There were one or two site-specific functions I still had to use IE
for because of one thing or another, but I'm going to find a way to
access those sites with Chrome, which is my main browser. I'm still
working on that. I haven't used IE as my main browser in ages. I don't
understand why people are even still using that browser; it's outdated
and, at least on my more recent computers, slow as a snail! To me,
there's really not that much difference in using one of the other
browsers, from a screen reader standpoint anyway. You can still use a
lot of the same navigation commands. I don't know about Edge; I
haven't used it much, but as far as I can tell, Chrome and Firefox
work great with NVDA.

Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:

Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security chief
(
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
)

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now expired,
nothing will.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Ron Canazzi

This is interesting.  So why does the Cortana voice inquiry launch Internet Explorer by default after a Windows install? Now I changed it since then, but how many people take the time to do so?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Clarissa Mitchell

I hadn't thought of that.

On 2/8/19, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
This is interesting. So why does the Cortana voice inquiry launch
Internet Explorer by default after a Windows install? Now I changed it
since then, but how many people take the time to do so?

On 2/8/2019 6:50 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Article that came out today in /The Telegraph/ newspaper in the UK:

/Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security chief
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/>/

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
expired, nothing will.

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep./*

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

As far as I know, plans for Windows 10 were to replace IE with Edge, what they did, so Cortana actually uses Edge, not IE.
However, IE is still there, for a reason that heavens only knows.
Maybe if they remove it they'll break something on Windows? I don't know, but well...

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 08/02/2019 23:16, Ron Canazzi escreveu:

This is interesting.  So why does the Cortana voice inquiry launch Internet Explorer by default after a Windows install? Now I changed it since then, but how many people take the time to do so?

On 2/8/2019 6:50 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:

          Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security chief

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now expired, nothing will.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...>

I stopped using internet explorer too. Now I use either waterfox or chrome.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 08:16 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
So why does the Cortana voice inquiry launch Internet Explorer by default after a Windows install?
It hasn't in my observation since Microsoft did the forced plural marriage between Cortana, Edge, & Bing in 2016.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

You may not find ways that work as well to use those sites.  You may continue using Internet Explorer with them.  It’s the browser you use as the main browser that is the issue, not the browser you use for occasional accessibility purposes with this or that site.

I hardly use IE anymore at all. For me, it's either Chrome or Firefox.
There were one or two site-specific functions I still had to use IE for because of one thing or another, but I'm going to find a way to access those sites with Chrome, which is my main browser. I'm still working on that. I haven't used IE as my main browser in ages. I don't understand why people are even still using that browser; it's outdated and, at least on my more recent computers, slow as a snail! To me, there's really not that much difference in using one of the other browsers, from a screen reader standpoint anyway. You can still use a lot of the same navigation commands. I don't know about Edge; I haven't used it much, but as far as I can tell, Chrome and Firefox work great with NVDA.

> Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:
>
>           Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security
> chief (
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-
> explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
> )
>
> If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
> expired, nothing will.
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
> need for illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

MAX <max@...>

The management of favorites in chrome and Firefox is almost nonexistent.  I use explorer to update and manage my favorites file.   Why can’t programmers leave things alone. Especially things that work.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

You may not find ways that work as well to use those sites.  You may continue using Internet Explorer with them.  It’s the browser you use as the main browser that is the issue, not the browser you use for occasional accessibility purposes with this or that site.

I hardly use IE anymore at all. For me, it's either Chrome or Firefox.
There were one or two site-specific functions I still had to use IE for because of one thing or another, but I'm going to find a way to access those sites with Chrome, which is my main browser. I'm still working on that. I haven't used IE as my main browser in ages. I don't understand why people are even still using that browser; it's outdated and, at least on my more recent computers, slow as a snail! To me, there's really not that much difference in using one of the other browsers, from a screen reader standpoint anyway. You can still use a lot of the same navigation commands. I don't know about Edge; I haven't used it much, but as far as I can tell, Chrome and Firefox work great with NVDA.

> Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:
>
>           Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security
> chief (
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-
> explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
> )
>
> If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
> expired, nothing will.
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
> need for illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

What do you mean by the management is almost nonexistent?  You can move bookmarks around in Firefox.  I assume you can in Chrome as well.  Instead of assuming something isn't available or doesn't exist, ask here or get some sort of documentation or tutorial.  You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Open the bookmarks menu with alt b.
Move to a bookmark in Firefox.  Open the context menu.  Down arrow to cut.  Press enter.
Then move to where you want the bookmark to be.  Open the context menu and find paste.  Press enter.
The bookmark has been moved.
However, I almost never move or organize bookmarks in Firefox because of the very good search for bookmarks feature.  If you are interested, I'll describe it.

You may not find ways that work as well to use those sites.  You may continue using Internet Explorer with them.  It’s the browser you use as the main browser that is the issue, not the browser you use for occasional accessibility purposes with this or that site.

I hardly use IE anymore at all. For me, it's either Chrome or Firefox.
There were one or two site-specific functions I still had to use IE for because of one thing or another, but I'm going to find a way to access those sites with Chrome, which is my main browser. I'm still working on that. I haven't used IE as my main browser in ages. I don't understand why people are even still using that browser; it's outdated and, at least on my more recent computers, slow as a snail! To me, there's really not that much difference in using one of the other browsers, from a screen reader standpoint anyway. You can still use a lot of the same navigation commands. I don't know about Edge; I haven't used it much, but as far as I can tell, Chrome and Firefox work great with NVDA.

> Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:
>
>           Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security
> chief (
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-
> explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
> )
>
> If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
> expired, nothing will.
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
> need for illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Kwork <istherelife@...>

Actually mine launched Edge by default. Not sure why it launched IE for others.

Travis

On 2/8/2019 6:23 PM, Clarissa Mitchell wrote:
[...]

.

Kwork <istherelife@...>

Clarissa, you may not need to use the current implementation of Edge much anyway as Microsoft will be adapting their web browser shortly to something different, with more Chromium based features.

As for using IE, I won't get rid of it as I do find the occasional site that works best on it, even now. Waterfox, Firefox, then Chrome, have become my main browsers in that order. Usually one of those gets done what I want except for that 2% of the time when IE still works best.

Travis

On 2/8/2019 6:09 PM, Clarissa Mitchell wrote:
[...]

When I first got Windows 10 on this newer 64 bit system, when I used Cortana, it launched Internet Explorer--not Edge.

On 2/8/2019 8:21 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Neither do I.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 09/02/2019 03:37, Kwork escreveu:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That is though mainly because they have not bothered to actually bring it up to date. They want everyone to get Windows 10 and use Edge.
On the other hand a lot of the things in IE have been clunky for some time, so most people I know use Firefox, Water-fox or Chrome most of the time.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:

Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security chief ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/ )

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now expired, nothing will.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

molly the blind tech lover

Well internet explorer was great while it lasted. I've been using Chrome and Firefox for two years now.

[...]

One interesting oddity I discovered lately on windows 7 was no matter when you opened the email some links in emails particularly from the British government seem to be hard wired to open the page in IE. I know this as they keep on prompting to make IE the default browser. I tend now to go to the address bar , grab the url from IE as its sluggish anyway, and launch waterfox and paste the address in there.

That seems to work very well.
Weird.
[...]

What is wrong with favourites in firefox or waterfox? I can change names move stuff about and delete and atdd ago see not real issue. Most of the problems are my laziness to actually do it!

Antique Electronics Site: <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

On 2/8/19, Brian Vogel <@britechguy <mailto:@britechguy> > wrote:
Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:

Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security
chief (
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-
explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
)

If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
expired, nothing will.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

molly the blind tech lover

I’m not surprised internet explorer now seems to have all these security flaws. Especially if Microsoft is focusing on edge.

[...]

Indeed the pesky launching of Edge is a little annoying in windows 10.
However, I had to laugh the other day when a dodgy email came in to a lot of us at the tn. most people are sighted and either used webmail or Tbird. Many of them got infected by some kind of pop up windows were advertising code. I did not. I am using the old Outlook Express. I thought this a little amusing. Certainly Superantispyware removed the thing for them but it just goes to show that its being careful more than outdated programs that is often the key for keeping the computer clean.