Topics

Intent of any post being misinterpreted

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi folks, as somebody who has been around text based messages for more years than I care to admit to, there is one basic truism which still can cause issues.
The statement of facts or giving of advice can appear very abrupt and direct when it was not meant to be.
Most of us when speaking to each other use inflection and such like to create the spirit of what is being said and how it is to be taken.
Sadly many of us cannot see body language, so even that is no good in person. However apart from what I still consider as these new fangled emogees, many do not know what they mean nor in fact use them.
Thus when you see an apparently abrupt response or interpret something as a castigation or a reprimand, please go away, have a drink, think about it and realise it was just the facts being expressed. Nothing wrong with anything you said.
Even a simple comment like:
If you go back a day you will see this answered is often seen as sarcasm, when its really not meant that way. If you cannot go back or do not know how to view the archive, merely state this and somebody will help, I'm sure.
OK I'll go back to sleep now!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Ian Westerland

Brian, I don't think I even know what an emogee is so I look forward to an explanation. Probably when the explanation comes, I might be able to imagine how to use Emogees but, at the moment, I'm in the dark
so to speak.

Regards

Ian Westerland

On 2/11/2019 7:30 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi Ian,
I would like so much to try explaining you what is an emoji, but I definitelly don't have the proper words.
An emoji is, let's say, theorically, the same as an emoticon, except by some differences.
And, to understand these differences, you can check this link, which will explain it much better than I would ever do.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 11/02/2019 07:02, Ian Westerland escreveu:

[...]

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

Actually this is an emoticon, which the article that I posted the link to right after one starts reading it states to not confuse with what's actually an emoji.
I still don't know how to explain what it is after all, so well..

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 11/02/2019 11:38, Chris Shook escreveu:

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

Emojis are nothing more than tiny images (drawn, not photos) that fit in line with text, taking up the equivalent of 1 to 2 (maybe 3) character places.

They originally had, as their intent, expressing emotions much as emoticons did and do.  However, the range has expanded to include so many that this can no longer be said to be the case.

Many are used as coded references to other things.  The infamous eggplant emoji being the most "commonly known" one.  Look it up.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

I believe they are ascii symbols that are mostly equivalent to the emotes we use, except a lot more descriptive. At least that's what I read when I googled.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 1:23, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

molly the blind tech lover

I love emojis.

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the
email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling
Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

Devin Prater

Molly, it seems that you love a whole lot of things. 😀

On Feb 11, 2019, at 10:11 AM, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:

I love emojis.

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of the
email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling
Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

molly the blind tech lover

I guess I do. I'm quite a cheerful person 😊

Molly, it seems that you love a whole lot of things. 😀

On Feb 11, 2019, at 10:11 AM, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:

I love emojis.

An Emoji is a face or figure made up of dots that conveys the mood of
the email.
For example, Look below my signature and NVDA should tell you, Smiling
Smiley.
Hpe this helps.
Chris

:-)

Cristóbal

Everything old is new again. We’re going to end up using hieroglyphs or Aztec Pictograms again soon enough and folks are going to call them an innovative  breakthrough in modern communication or something…

Cristóbal

Emojis are nothing more than tiny images (drawn, not photos) that fit in line with text, taking up the equivalent of 1 to 2 (maybe 3) character places.

They originally had, as their intent, expressing emotions much as emoticons did and do.  However, the range has expanded to include so many that this can no longer be said to be the case.

Many are used as coded references to other things.  The infamous eggplant emoji being the most "commonly known" one.  Look it up.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

molly the blind tech lover

Hieroglyphs are cool

Everything old is new again. We’re going to end up using hieroglyphs or Aztec Pictograms again soon enough and folks are going to call them an innovative  breakthrough in modern communication or something…

Cristóbal

Emojis are nothing more than tiny images (drawn, not photos) that fit in line with text, taking up the equivalent of 1 to 2 (maybe 3) character places.

They originally had, as their intent, expressing emotions much as emoticons did and do.  However, the range has expanded to include so many that this can no longer be said to be the case.

Many are used as coded references to other things.  The infamous eggplant emoji being the most "commonly known" one.  Look it up.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Lol. What's that saying that old styles come back as new? Well we'll see. Love your analogy there. It does make sense as I see old new tech coming back and stubb better than ever.

Take care

On 11 Feb 2019, at 9:03, Cristóbal wrote:

Everything old is new again. We’re going to end up using hieroglyphs or Aztec Pictograms again soon enough and folks are going to call them an innovative  breakthrough in modern communication or something…

Cristóbal

Emojis are nothing more than tiny images (drawn, not photos) that fit in line with text, taking up the equivalent of 1 to 2 (maybe 3) character places.

They originally had, as their intent, expressing emotions much as emoticons did and do.  However, the range has expanded to include so many that this can no longer be said to be the case.

Many are used as coded references to other things.  The infamous eggplant emoji being the most "commonly known" one.  Look it up.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well customised emoticons is what I sort of thought of, but I used that word to mean both in fact since I do not use them and from the descriptions I hear in nvda, would not be sure if I'd used the right one in the first place, so I tend to ad just Grin at eye end.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I would like so much to try explaining you what is an emoji, but I
definitelly don't have the proper words.
An emoji is, let's say, theorically, the same as an emoticon, except by
some differences.
And, to understand these differences, you can check this link
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji>, which will explain it much better
than I would ever do.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>

[...]

Just wondering, is there a difference between emojies and emoticons?

[...]

Hey Molly:
Is there anything you don't love? 😀

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Makes you wonder if Hieroglyphs were the ancient Egyptian form of movies.

molly the blind tech lover

Something I don't love? Let's see... Can't think of anything 😊