Topics

Fn Key Issues

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I apologize for this not being strictly NVDA related, but more in
regards to adapting to a keyboard which poses unique challenges in the
issuance of NVDA key commands. I recently purchased an external
keyboard which was overall great value for money, apart from one
pestiferous problem.

To emulate the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down functions, I need to
press the Function (Fn) key in conjunction with the arrow keys. This
is not atypical for me as I need to do this even on my built in laptop
keyboard. However, on my laptop, I am absolutely used to pressing Ctrl
followed by Function followed by right arrow for Ctrl+Home, whereas on
this new external keyboard, I need to hold down Function first, and
then press keys like Ctrl and right arrow. This is getting
particularly problematic since my brain is wired to use the Function
key preceding an arrow key only when I want to select an entire line
or page as opposed to holding down Function first and foremost, and
then pressing things like NVDA modifier+Shift+right arrow to read the
status bar.

Is there any way - software settting or device setup or otherwise - by
which I can get this external keyboard to act similar to my laptop
keyboard, in that I need to press the Function key only before the
arrow keys or the key whose secondary function will be induced as
opposed to the first key in any multi-key combinaition?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Twitter:@BhavyaShah125Skype: bhavya.09

Jackie

Bhavya, you don't tell us which keyboard it is. Many keyboards have a
key combination to disable such behavior, ie, I remember having to
press the fn & esc keys simultaneously to disable that sort of
behavior on a Linovo laptop I once had. Unfortunately, these
keystrokes are not standardized, & the only way to see if the function
even exists &/or how to use it is to consult any manuals &/or online
documentation that may accompany your board.

On 2/11/19, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

It would be most helpful to know the make and model of the keyboard.

That being said, most external keyboards are of the "desktop layout" in format (with some foldable Bluetooth ones being notable exceptions) and have dedicated arrow, home, end, page up/down, and other buttons such that multi-key presses using modifiers are unnecessary.  That's one of the big reasons people buy and use them when their laptop isn't being used while literally on the road or in the air.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

molly the blind tech lover

Hello.
I think you may need to go in to the bios settings of your machine to change the behavior of the function key

[...]

Molly, going into the bios would possibly help w/an internal keyboard,
but would have no effect on an external 1. This comment is not to be
critical in any way. You just strike me as someone who wants to learn
all they can, & I'm just trying to help you do that. The bios
basically affects what's hooked up to the motherboard. Since an
external keyboard generally is not, especially on a laptop, then the
bios settings would have no effect. I hope that explains. Good call if
the keyboard had been an internal 1, though.

On 2/11/19, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:
[...]

I totally understand. In that case I am not sure how to help with an external keyboard. Sorry about that. I wish I could help.

[...]

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons:
https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
Twitter:@BhavyaShah125Skype: bhavya.09

Sarah k Alawami

Before the original poster does that, can they use sharp keys, I'm thinking no, but it never heard to ask. I've personally never heard of such a case as the original poser has. But with technology you just never know.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 11:25, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hello.
I think you may need to go in to the bios settings of your machine to change the behavior of the function key

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Often times, a machine may have a hotkey combination which will change the behavior of the function key. When this is not the case, there should be a BIOS setting. Yes, Sarah, technically you probably could use sharpkeys but there really isn't a need as this behavior can be changed.

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:46 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Before the original poster does that, can they use sharp keys, I'm thinking no, but it never heard to ask. I've personally never heard of such a case as the original poser has. But with technology you just never know.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 11:25, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Hello.
I think you may need to go in to the bios settings of your machine to change the behavior of the function key

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (658-0358) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Sarah k Alawami

But as stated that is for IO devices. The external keyboard although an input device I don't think can have its function key changed in such a way as the user is wanting. I would google though and see if you can come up with anything per the model of your keyboard.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 13:57, Nimer Jaber wrote:

[...]

You can change the function of whichever key you wish to with sharpkeys. As an example, I often change the function of the printscreen key to an applications key on Lenovo laptops. One work-around if a user does not wish to adjust the setting with the hotkey or in the bios is to change the function of the multimedia keys to perform f1-f12 functions.

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

Now that I actually think about my response, I'm stupid, Ok, not really. But I realise I don't think sharp keys will work for the original poster. They want to press control then function not the reverse. If that is the case I don't think remapping will help in this case, eh?

On 11 Feb 2019, at 14:35, Nimer Jaber wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That will not help since he already said that the laptop keyboard is normal, unless the keyboard is normal on that pc but not on another and it is the other which causes the issue.
Its imperative to know the make and model of the offending combination.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

My sincerest apologies for my own delayed response to all your prompt
suggestions.

• I am not entirely sure of the exact model of my keyboard. However,
broadly, it should be a Lapcare Alfa USB Wired Keyboard. I shall hunt
for the keyboard’s manual tomorrow or seek sighted assistance in
obtaining the same information from the keyboard itself. Once I have
that, I will revert sharing the particulars of the make and model of
my USB keyboard.
• I, too, suspect that changing the Bios of my laptop will not have
any effect on my problem with an external device.
• I doubt Sharp Keys or other key remapping software will be of use
because my issue is not with the positioning of keys or needing to
press Fn+F12 to emulate the F12 key or anything along those lines.
Rather, my issue lies with the order in which this external keyboard
demands of me to press keys in a multi-key combination - always
needing to hold down Fn first and then the rest of the keystroke (for
all key combinations involving the Fn key).
• Pressing Fn+Esc has not resolved my problem either.

I don’t see any solution in sight at the present instant, except for
the possibility that I discover some secret on getting details about
my device and subsequently reading its manual. Thus, I have been
trying my best to adjust with this new sequence of pressing keys and
issuing keyboard shortcuts. While I still sometimes end up not
pressing the Fn key first thus issuing a key command other than what I
desired to issue, I am able to somewhat cope with this new system. A
remedy to this oddity would still be immensely useful though.

Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Lapcare Alfa USB Wired Keyboard
Bhavya,

           This does appear to be the full make and model information.  This keyboard is for sale all over India, even Amazon's India website, and other than the row of 9 soft (as in it looks like silicone, not plastic) buttons across the top left side, which appear to be media control keys, it is otherwise unremarkable.  The function keys are in their standard blocks of 4 (1-4,5-8,9-12) in the usual position as the top row of hard keys.

            There is likely a driver that comes with this since it does have multimedia keys, but perhaps not.   There is nothing about it's appearance that would suggest that any of the standard keys should behave any differently than they would on any other keyboard.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Also, as a side thought, have you tried NVDA+1 to toggle input help mode on?    It could be that one of the keys is in an odd location compared to what you're used to on the laptop keyboard itself.  At least that way you can do a quick check of what it is you're actually pressing when things aren't working as expected to see if the keys are what you think they are.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back