ie unsafe dolphin users

Hi.

Small message to all users of dolphin stuff, email support and tell them to hurry up with using modern brousers or something.

Yeah dolphin seem to be slowly crawling towards modern brousers.

If you are a dolphin user, ie is the best brouser to use,.

Its the only brouser to use.

This is utterly disgusting and is pritty much an insult to all users because everyone else has caught up.

I don't care to bash, but here I am a user mostly past but still a user bashing dolphin because they have been slow for like ages, and ie is basically on the way out.

You really wander if dolphin have a death wish everyone has jumpped ship allready.

Now, pass this to whoever gives a damn.

And another thing, don't discuss any of this on here, I don't want to generate a thread on this or anything this is just a notification to users to ask dolphin nicely to use something like chromium at least is all if its only 1 brouser they can take.

If they can handle chrome and chromeum, fire and waterfox, etc then maybe.

To be honest we shouldn't be asking our what is usually or has been for ages a reasonable reader company to move their collective but but its like been over 10 years and I think ie8 has been the last version we can use, maybe we can use 11 now but still its been like that for ages.

molly the blind tech lover

What is dolphin?

[...]

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

molly the blind tech lover

I've never heard of dolphin before lol.

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Michael Munn

This piece of screen reading package is common in European countries. they're located in England.

Michael Munn
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:45 AM molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:
I've never heard of dolphin before lol.

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Brad Snyder

Dolphin is not a screen reader, rather it is a company in the U.K. that markets several access technology software products.  Their primary product is the SuperNova Access Suite, which includes a screen reader and screen magnification product.
Dolphin is pretty big in Europe, but not so widely used in the United States, though they have been around for a while.

- Brad -

On Feb 13, 2019, at 17:04, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote:

This piece of screen reading package is common in European countries. they're located in England.

Michael Munn
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:45 AM molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:
I've never heard of dolphin before lol.

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Richard Bartholomew

Yes, it is more common in Europe but it has always been quite low on the list of preferred screenreaders since its creation 30-odd years ago!

Cheers

Richard Bartholomew

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brad,

For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the correction.

Rosemarie

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Richard Bartholomew

Just for info even though non-NVDA related…Dolphin were founded in the mid-80’s to further the development of the HAL screenreader primarily – the forerunner of Supernova.  HAL was very popular in those early days when there were very few packages around but it started to lose influence once the likes of Vocal-Eyes and JAWS for DOS gained market share.  When Supernova eventually came along, although it was very good at what it did with certain software, it did not have the flexibility of other packages.

Cheers

Richard Bartholomew

For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the correction.

Rosemarie

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Wow how interesting. I do have a tutorial where someone was demonstrating how to use the amazon site with the Hal screen reader as well as Jaws and Window-eyes.

[...]

Ian Westerland

Hi. The company is "dolphin Industries" and one of its earliest Screen readers was Hal. At present I am trying a Dolphin suite of programs that includes a Webb Browser called webbIE, a Pod catcher, RSS feed program and, I think there is another one in the Suite. My first impression is that these programs are not as user friendly as others around today but its' a bit early to make a final judgement. The programs are a free download and I found them purely by accident when looking around for an Internet Browser to compare with the commonly used Browsers.

ian Westerland

.

On Feb 13, 2019, at 17:04, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@gmail.com <mailto:michaelrbms@gmail.com>> wrote:
This piece of screen reading package is common in European countries. they're located in England.
Michael Munn
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org/>
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org <http://www.nfbmd.org/>
www.hadley.edu <http://www.hadley.edu/>
I've never heard of dolphin before lol.
Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Brad Snyder

SuperNova is an interesting product.  I’ve attended a few training seminars presented by Dolphin over the years, but have never really spent much time using it to get the hang of it.  It is really very different from either NVDA or JAWS in both concepts and functionality.

You can learn more about SuperNova here:

HTH

- Brad -

On Feb 13, 2019, at 17:10, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Brad,

For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the correction.

Rosemarie

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

molly the blind tech lover

That’s an awesome name for a project.

Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Chris Shook

We might want to take this one to the chat list.

Brad Snyder

True.
Hal got its name from the talking diabolical robot in the movie 2001: A Space Oddity.
The accompanying screen magnification product was called Lunar.  It was similar to ZoomText, in that it was available in both magnification only and magnification with speech.
The original SuperNova product was Hal bundled with the Lunar screen magnification product.  This is similar to Vispero’s current Fusion product.

- Brad -

On Feb 13, 2019, at 17:18, Richard Bartholomew <rlbart53@...> wrote:

[...]

Just to provide a little more information, Dolphin produced some synthesizers that claimed to be very close to a real human voice--Apollo and Apollo 2. The first Apollo was a desk top synthesizer and the Apollo 2 is a software model.

From memory, there was a Dolphin Synthesizer as well but I can't remember too many details.

We have come such a long way with speach access and, yes, my Screen reader of choice is NVDA latest version. I wouldn't be without it.

Ian Westerland

Hi, Brad,
For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the correction.
Rosemarie
Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
ranked as third.
I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Rui Fontes

By the way, complementing the information:
The synts are:
SAM, software
Apollo - hardware
Juno - hardware feaatured for laptops

Rui Fontes

Às 23:37 de 13/02/2019, Ian Westerland escreveu:

Just to provide a little more information, Dolphin produced some synthesizers that claimed to be very close to a real human voice--Apollo and Apollo 2.  The first Apollo was a desk top synthesizer and the Apollo 2 is a software model.
From memory, there was a Dolphin Synthesizer as well but I can't remember too many details.
We have come such a long way with speach access and, yes, my Screen reader of choice is NVDA latest version.   I wouldn't be without it.
Ian Westerland
Hi, Brad,

For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the correction.

Rosemarie

    Dolpin is a screen reader. If your ranking screen readers it is usually
    ranked as third.
    I don't know mch about it besides it's supposedly not as good as job and
    that it is commercial so you have to buy it.

Michael Munn

I still remember back in the old days that Dectalk and KeynoteGold TTS are the choice of Screen' reader users. I know that Dectalk Express  cost like $2,000 I don't know anything about KeynoteGold. My first interaction with KeyNoteGold was in 2014 on a School's Braille Note Apex32.
Back to Dolfen; The UK Daniel was the common voice that's being used  when they doing Demos of there Screen Reader features.
I has happen to had  Chance to play with the Software for two months. and I love some of it's features.
Thanks
Best Regards
Michael Munn

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:
By the way, complementing the information:
The synts are:
SAM, software
Apollo - hardware
Juno - hardware feaatured for laptops

Rui Fontes

Às 23:37 de 13/02/2019, Ian Westerland escreveu:

> Just to provide a little more information, Dolphin produced some
> synthesizers that claimed to be very close to a real human voice--Apollo
> and Apollo 2.  The first Apollo was a desk top synthesizer and the
> Apollo 2 is a software model.
>
>  From memory, there was a Dolphin Synthesizer as well but I can't
> remember too many details.
>
> We have come such a long way with speach access and, yes, my Screen
> reader of choice is NVDA latest version.   I wouldn't be without it.
>
> Ian Westerland
>

> On 2/14/2019 10:10 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
>> Hi, Brad,
>>
>> For years now I thought Dolphin was a screen reader. Thanks for the
>> correction.
>>
>> Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its a citation like a whale.. Oh, you mean in the sense of access? they are originally a UK company who make screenreaders. Indeed they used to be leaders, but have very much fallen behind since windows 10 came out in my view.

The do make a free app for mobile phones though for books etc, which has been gaining a lot of friends called Easyreader. Of course as its free they are not going to make much from it.

In my view they simply lost the plot when they bought Guide and put a lot of resources into a dumbed down self voicing windows suite that they thought every pensioner would buy, but didn't.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-