NVDA and sounds

Chris Shook

Queck question.
JAWS had a way to link sounds with words using the Dictionary manager.
Is there an addon for NVDA that can do the same thing?

I had never heard about this concept before your message. How is it? An add-on to perform such a thing would be quite interesting.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 21:22, Chris Shook escreveu:

Queck question.

molly the blind tech lover

There is a thing in Jaws for that but I don’t know about NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and sounds

I had never heard about this concept before your message. How is it? An add-on to perform such a thing would be quite interesting.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Queck question.

Chris Shook

Here's how it works with JAWS.
1. Go to dictionary manager.
2. Press Shit control D. THis will open the default dictionary manager.
3. CLick on the add button.

4. Go to the actual world field.
5. Type the word in the actual word field.
6. Tab to the select sound button.
7. Go to the list of sounds that come up.
8 When you find the sound you want, click enter.
9. If you want to test the sound press the play button.
10. If you like the sound, press control S to save the changes.
11. Exit the dictionary.

The sounds are various. My personal favorite one was starter pistol.

LOL it really would be sooo funny to have something like that in NVDA!

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 22:34, Chris Shook escreveu:

11. Exit the dictionary.

Chris Shook

Yeah, the addon would probably have to pull the sounds from some sort of website or service.
May be something to suggest to the developers.

And what if we could choose the sounds direct from our computers?
It was what I was thinking.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 22:43, Chris Shook escreveu:

Yeah, the addon would probably have to pull the sounds from some sort of website or service.

Chris Shook

JAWS does have an import function that allows you to import the sounds.
In order to compare, the addon would have to have both a list of sounds and a import feature.
As a side note, sorry about the content of the post describing the sound feature in JAWS. I didn't read it before sending.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just to be sure, do you mean a sound on certain types of concepts, or sounds allied to certain words directly?
There is a 3D sound thing for nvda, and does help with showing the layout of a screen, but it will not work well in the next versions of nvda unless somebody fixes it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:19 AM

I had never heard about this concept before your message. How is it? An
add-on to perform such a thing would be quite interesting.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>

Queck question.

At the risk of being too frivolous, the old Victor Borge comedy skit where he proposes that every punctuation mark should have a sound when being read is worth a listen. It will be on Youtube if you have not encountered it before. Its very old, he has been dead for years. Ahead of his time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:35 AM

Cheers,
Marcio

11. Exit the dictionary.

I think here we are talking more about entertainment rather than productivity and utility, so if somebody wants this its better suited to an add on I'd suggest rather than wasting time of the core programmers. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:43 AM

You know this brings me right back to university in my os class.

We were talking about security and all the hacking of late and someone asked if there was such a thing as a secure os.

Surprisingly, there was, but every action, needed a password, when you hit enter on anything you needed to varify it was you doing it.

The users didn't like it, it didn't go anywhere.

Back to sounds, I don't think you would like it if everything had a sound.

I had something like this on google chrome once.

In waterfox, nav sounds happen whenever pages move, complete, you type, or do things.

I don't need all those annoying noises download complete, nav start, popups, a few notifications.

Now I guess nav complete and a few others if you were on dialup would be nice but really.

I think you would get really annoyed if every action you pushed resulted in a beep from the pc.

Especially with how some soundcards process stuff.

For example, on my entertainment workstation due to its really mega power, the sound drivers filter the amp.

On headphones you get full power but on speakers its filtered.

Thats fine to play music, or speech, but you start putting more than 1-2 sounds at once you start having issues.

Now I do have some cards without that restriction.

And the reason they have such a restriction on the internals crappy that it may get at times is if you play it raw without some adjustments to the sound or volume, it really doesn't sound good and could damage your ears or the hardware.

Now it can be done, you may be able to run speech like that, but may not other things.

Sounds may have different volumes, some stuff can be louder than speech, I have seen my music be overwealmed by the speech and vice versa.

In fact its more the other way round.

Now if you had different things going through different cards and better still different speakers that would be fine but still.

Point is I wouldn't unnecesarily have sounds playing that could conflict with other sounds.

So for example while I am doing serious work I don't play music, if I do, I turn it down so it doesn't interfier with my sound.

That means I don't usually hear it and with the powerfull box I have now the sound cutouts trip so I need to plug it to a speaker anyway.

If I listen to a podcast or something, the idea is to focus solely on that audio without interuption at least I have always found it better.

Now for a while before sound cards got chipped to boards you were able to get away with a few of these things but I have had users blow their cards, and or speakers as a result of running to many things, I have friends blow their ears etc just by running to many things even though volume wasn't particularly loud.

On the later chipped systems till 2013 when they started tieing it to display cards you could still get away with it.

In fact on win7, you probably could get away with most of this sort of thing.

Win10 isn't going to get you like that.

There are some things it simply won't let you do out of design or safety or something.

Certain things that go against bits of its security or quality rules.

There are vary few things that it outright refuses without a lot of doodling about but well its just not a good idea.

Now in the case of sound if you want to risk it, you can probably get away with well not using your linked drivers and just a ms driver, but as long as you never need headphones or need to use anything bar internal speakers and even then, you may or may not be ok, you take the risk.

Now if you happen to be on a standard non powerfull entertainment workstation that needs enhancements due to crappy sound output you may be fine, you may even get away with it but I wouldn't.

On 14/02/2019 10:15 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
At the risk of being too frivolous, the old Victor Borge comedy skit where he proposes that every punctuation mark should have a sound when being read is worth a listen. It will be on Youtube if you have not encountered it before. Its very old, he has been dead for years. Ahead of his time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>

Cheers,
Marcio

11. Exit the dictionary.

Sile

And if it was around now, you would probably need to use two-factor :)

--Sile

On 2/14/2019 3:27 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

We were talking about security and all the hacking of late and someone asked if there was such a thing as a secure os.

Surprisingly, there was, but every action, needed a password, when you hit enter on anything you needed to varify it was you doing it.

In waterfox, nav sounds happen whenever pages move, complete, you type, or do things.

I don't need all those annoying noises download complete, nav start, popups, a few notifications.

Now I guess nav complete and a few others if you were on dialup would be nice but really.

I think you would get really annoyed if every action you pushed resulted in a beep from the pc.

For example, on my entertainment workstation due to its really mega power, the sound drivers filter the amp.

Thats fine to play music, or speech, but you start putting more than 1-2 sounds at once you start having issues.

And the reason they have such a restriction on the internals crappy that it may get at times is if you play it raw without some adjustments to the sound or volume, it really doesn't sound good and could damage your ears or the hardware.

Now it can be done, you may be able to run speech like that, but may not other things.

Sounds may have different volumes, some stuff can be louder than speech, I have seen my music be overwealmed by the speech and vice versa.

Now if you had different things going through different cards and better still different speakers that would be fine but still.

Point is I wouldn't unnecesarily have sounds playing that could conflict with other sounds.

So for example while I am doing serious work I don't play music, if I do, I turn it down so it doesn't interfier with my sound.

That means I don't usually hear it and with the powerfull box I have now the sound cutouts trip so I need to plug it to a speaker anyway.

If I listen to a podcast or something, the idea is to focus solely on that audio without interuption at least I have always found it better.

Now for a while before sound cards got chipped to boards you were able to get away with a few of these things but I have had users blow their cards, and or speakers as a result of running to many things, I have friends blow their ears etc just by running to many things even though volume wasn't particularly loud.

On the later chipped systems till 2013 when they started tieing it to display cards you could still get away with it.

There are some things it simply won't let you do out of design or safety or something.

There are vary few things that it outright refuses without a lot of doodling about but well its just not a good idea.

Now in the case of sound if you want to risk it, you can probably get away with well not using your linked drivers and just a ms driver, but as long as you never need headphones or need to use anything bar internal speakers and even then, you may or may not be ok, you take the risk.

Now if you happen to be on a standard non powerfull entertainment workstation that needs enhancements due to crappy sound output you may be fine, you may even get away with it but I wouldn't.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>

Cheers,
Marcio

11. Exit the dictionary.

Chris Shook

Shaun,
Thanks for this post. It was very informative.
Like I said in an earlier post, I just know that JAWS has the capability. I don't know why.
If you could somehow create moving images with the screen reader I could see a reason, but that's a totally different, and unrealistic idea.
Chris

You know criss, screen readers are designed to read the screen.

And I suspect that thats mostly text.

Now an emoji, icon, or picture with alt text and maybe a simbol is one thing but moving pictures, thats another.

The closest we will probably ever get with that is 3d audio.

Now, its unrealistic for the blind at least to go out to buy headsets for this, andriea aparently have 3d recording phones which you can get from amazon and are about on coolblind tech goodiebag somewhere but I havn't experimented that much with this though when it was the rage, I spent the 40 us and brought a set.

To be honest, as long as I am in front of my system and not going anywhere I have a studio set of senheiser hd201s lieing about and also a lighter set I pulled out of a dead friend's hord of junk that while its slightly broken will still suit my needs.

I havn't needed to switch to anything really bad till last week when I went through an upgrade of bits of the house and still ahve a few things to go, however thats for later on and who knows.

3d sound is where its at though and we seem to have got better in this reguard.

I think the closest to the moving image is a sound source you track accross the screen from left to right.

I don't think you could have it do much else.

Certainly I guess you could have it move about, but to what end?

Gaming I could see, but I have had sound move about, and if you could adjust it so it was that sound that moved then fine.

What usually happens is that all sound moves about.

Speech can also move about.

For human speech and speech with effects I can see that especially with the highquality synths a possibility, but I have cards that move speech about and add effects to it, and there comes a time where it just doesn't work.

Worse still you try to take espeak or eloquence which are basically generated synth speech, unless you have normal non enhanced sound, no filters or anything they just don't work that well, certainly they don't curve, move about or anything, not on their own.

Even high quality surround doesn't work with any speech or sound if its not designed for 3d.

When I tried to run my soundcard without the headphone switch drivers I found that what would happen is eventually if you threw enough at it, say a loud plane engine, it would hit its limiters.

Then all sounds including speech would curve about including the engine as it tried to get the sound in the right spot.

All sounds would be left heavy including speech and it would suck.

If I pulled the drivers, went microsoft and ran the card dry, at 10% I'd get nothing, at 20, it would be loud but speech wouldn't, at 30 it would be quite loud and at 50 it would distort.

If I pushed it to full, well I never did.

I have had friends do this and bang  go the speakers, and then your computer is on fire or you blow your ear drums.

So its just a limit we have to take these days.

Now, if we are talking about sound files that don't need to be live even if its speech, especially if its coded, then as long as you have the right set and limiters are set right on your eq you probably can pan and rotate to your hearts content and it won't matter where it is at all.

But converting straight sound live unless you have really good gear just doesn't work.

Now during my testing of various gear I have had to wear a 3d audio vr headset and a few other gismos while doing government testing of various things.

I even asked the project leader how much it would be for me to invest in civilian versions of the set I was using.

And its 500 bucks us just for the set.

So I'd have to spend 500 bucks for the set maybe more to get it here, well in the end I found out I could get it local but not straight forward.

But thats far to much for a set especially the way I'd use it.

Now don't get me wrong, it was a really good set to use but to use even a non test version on my workstation its a chunck of cash.

On 15/02/2019 9:55 AM, Chris Shook wrote:
Shaun,
Thanks for this post. It was very informative.
Like I said in an earlier post, I just know that JAWS has the capability. I don't know why.
If you could somehow create moving images with the screen reader I could see a reason, but that's a totally different, and unrealistic idea.
Chris

Chris Shook

So basically, JAWS has a feature with no practical purpose, probably designed for when your really just bored and trying to goof off.
I guess it's good that they took the time to add a feature just for fun.
There is a game for the blind called A hero's call that seems to have moving sound and speach. They recommend you use headphones when you play the game. After your explanation, I can appreciate how difficult it'd be to create something like that especially for the blind by the blind.

Gene

There are times when a series of words is repeated often and when a certain sound would save a meaningful amount of time.  I really doubt that JAWS developers introduced the feature more for entertainment than for productivity.  I doubt entertainment was a consideration at all. 

If you can represent a number of often repeated phrases in a document with sounds, each of which lasts perhaps half a second, you can save enough time that it might amount to something. 

Gene
----- Origiginal Message -----

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:40 PM

I think here we are talking more about entertainment rather than
productivity and utility, so if somebody wants this its better suited to an
add on I'd suggest rather than wasting time of the core programmers. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> Yeah, the addon would probably have to pull the sounds from some sort of
> website or service.
> May be something to suggest to the developers.
>
>
>

Wow, I got curious about this "secure system". What's the name of it, can you tell me so I can look for more info on this matter? Just for fun, curiosity, you know.
Getting back to sounds, I'll just say that I tried everything that I could to get back my Firefox sounds while you seem to don't like yours. Ironic, isn't it? LOL
By the way, is there a way to  really get back the old sounds from the classic versions of Firefox?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 14/02/2019 18:27, Shaun Everiss escreveu:

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21@...>

Cheers,
Marcio

11. Exit the dictionary.

Agreed.
However, I saw some interesting points about it. Don't remember who wrote them, but well, my conclusion about it is it may well be something someone consider pretty useful and others consider just for fun.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 14/02/2019 16:40, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

I think here we are talking more about entertainment rather than productivity and utility, so if somebody wants this its better suited to an add on I'd suggest rather than wasting time of the core programmers. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Shook" <chris0309@...>

Never got a name for it.

It was never mentioned.

On 15/02/2019 1:47 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Wow, I got curious about this "secure system". What's the name of it, can you tell me so I can look for more info on this matter? Just for fun, curiosity, you know.
Getting back to sounds, I'll just say that I tried everything that I could to get back my Firefox sounds while you seem to don't like yours. Ironic, isn't it? LOL
By the way, is there a way to  really get back the old sounds from the classic versions of Firefox?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 14/02/2019 18:27, Shaun Everiss escreveu:

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21@...>

Cheers,
Marcio

11. Exit the dictionary.