NVDA and sounds

Chris Shook

Queck question.
JAWS had a way to link sounds with words using the Dictionary manager.
Is there an addon for NVDA that can do the same thing?

I had never heard about this concept before your message. How is it? An add-on to perform such a thing would be quite interesting.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 21:22, Chris Shook escreveu:

Queck question.
JAWS had a way to link sounds with words using the Dictionary manager.
Is there an addon for NVDA that can do the same thing?

molly the blind tech lover

There is a thing in Jaws for that but I don’t know about NVDA.

I had never heard about this concept before your message. How is it? An add-on to perform such a thing would be quite interesting.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 21:22, Chris Shook escreveu:

Queck question.
JAWS had a way to link sounds with words using the Dictionary manager.
Is there an addon for NVDA that can do the same thing?

Chris Shook

Here's how it works with JAWS.
1. Go to dictionary manager.
2. Press Shit control D. THis will open the default dictionary manager.
3. CLick on the add button.

4. Go to the actual world field.
5. Type the word in the actual word field.
6. Tab to the select sound button.
7. Go to the list of sounds that come up.
8 When you find the sound you want, click enter.
9. If you want to test the sound press the play button.
10. If you like the sound, press control S to save the changes.
11. Exit the dictionary.

The sounds are various. My personal favorite one was starter pistol.

LOL it really would be sooo funny to have something like that in NVDA!

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 22:34, Chris Shook escreveu:

Here's how it works with JAWS.
1. Go to dictionary manager.
2. Press Shit control D. THis will open the default dictionary manager.
3. CLick on the add button.

4. Go to the actual world field.
5. Type the word in the actual word field.
6. Tab to the select sound button.
7. Go to the list of sounds that come up.
8 When you find the sound you want, click enter.
9. If you want to test the sound press the play button.
10. If you like the sound, press control S to save the changes.
11. Exit the dictionary.

The sounds are various. My personal favorite one was starter pistol.

Chris Shook

Yeah, the addon would probably have to pull the sounds from some sort of website or service.
May be something to suggest to the developers.

And what if we could choose the sounds direct from our computers?
It was what I was thinking.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 13/02/2019 22:43, Chris Shook escreveu:

Yeah, the addon would probably have to pull the sounds from some sort of website or service.
May be something to suggest to the developers.

Chris Shook

JAWS does have an import function that allows you to import the sounds.
In order to compare, the addon would have to have both a list of sounds and a import feature.
As a side note, sorry about the content of the post describing the sound feature in JAWS. I didn't read it before sending.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just to be sure, do you mean a sound on certain types of concepts, or sounds allied to certain words directly?
There is a 3D sound thing for nvda, and does help with showing the layout of a screen, but it will not work well in the next versions of nvda unless somebody fixes it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>

Em 13/02/2019 21:22, Chris Shook escreveu:
Queck question.
JAWS had a way to link sounds with words using the Dictionary manager.
Is there an addon for NVDA that can do the same thing?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

At the risk of being too frivolous, the old Victor Borge comedy skit where he proposes that every punctuation mark should have a sound when being read is worth a listen. It will be on Youtube if you have not encountered it before. Its very old, he has been dead for years. Ahead of his time.
[...]

I think here we are talking more about entertainment rather than productivity and utility, so if somebody wants this its better suited to an add on I'd suggest rather than wasting time of the core programmers. Brian