OCR and pdfs

Dan Beaver

HI,

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr.  I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.   It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing.  I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

JM Casey

Not all text will oCR.

How is the text printed?

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr.  I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.   It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing.  I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Dan Beaver

I do not know since it is a lot of pages that are scanned images instead of text entered directly into the document.

Dan

On 2/14/2019 1:16 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Not all text will oCR.

How is the text printed?

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr.  I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.   It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing.  I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

JM Casey

Yeah, I understand that bit.

If it’s poorly printed, or uses a very strange ornamental font, you may not be able to get anything from it through oCR. If it’s images of handwriting you will also get nothing.

Maybe pass the file(s) to someone else and see what they can make of it?

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr.  I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.   It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing.  I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If its really bad printing it probably won't work.
Even some faxes wont ocr properly as the text is slightly askew.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr. I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.  It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing. I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Dan Beaver

Oh, I see what you were asking.

Well, this is a technical manual for a piece of electronics.  I doubt it would have too much printing that would be very ornamental or fancy but I could definitely be wrong about that.  I'll ask my wife how it looks.

Thanks.

Dan

On 2/14/2019 1:56 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Yeah, I understand that bit.

If it’s poorly printed, or uses a very strange ornamental font, you may not be able to get anything from it through oCR. If it’s images of handwriting you will also get nothing.

Maybe pass the file(s) to someone else and see what they can make of it?

I have a pdf that I really need to ocr.  I am trying to use the Windows ocr via nvda+r.   It says it is running the ocr but it comes back with nothing.  I know the page of the pdf has text so I am confused about why it isn't OCR ing the thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Chris Shook

JM Casey,
Would these restrictions apply to all screen readers and OCR?

JM Casey

Yes.

OCR is getting better all the time, but it still has lots of limitations.