FREE CONVERSION SOFTWARE

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi Group

Does anyone know of free software which can convert PDF to .doc/.docx or any other editable format and OCR the document as well.  It does not have to be blind accessible, since my sighted colleagues usually work with scanning files.

Any open source programme will be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Quentin Christensen

Hi Heaven,

You could try the OCR NVDA addon: http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html  Of course, depending on where the inaccessible PDF files are coming from, the ideal option would be if the sender can learn how to create accessible PDF files to begin with.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Heaven Botma <heaven@...> wrote:

Hi Group

Does anyone know of free software which can convert PDF to .doc/.docx or any other editable format and OCR the document as well.  It does not have to be blind accessible, since my sighted colleagues usually work with scanning files.

Any open source programme will be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

kaleidoscope logo

E: heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

facebook2 twitter instagram

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

In some cases, you can just select all from the document, then paste it into word or something similar.  If the pdf is protected in any way, this won't work, but then, generally, it won't convert to any other format either if it's protected.  There are programs to remove the protection from pdf files, but they generally aren't free.  If you look for pdftotxt, you can find a wide range of choices for converting pdf to other formats.  If you want to edit the pdf files directly, look for pdfpen pro, it handles form fields in pdf, and loads of other things.

HTH

On 10/28/2016 7:08 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:

Hi Group

Does anyone know of free software which can convert PDF to .doc/.docx or any other editable format and OCR the document as well.  It does not have to be blind accessible, since my sighted colleagues usually work with scanning files.

Any open source programme will be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Avast logo

hi.
i only know balabolka and sumatra pdf reader.
but they are not Ocr and can convert usual pdf in to txt.

<mailto:heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org>

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org <http://www.kaleidoscopesa.org/>

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

*facebook2 twitter instagram*

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

john poole

Hi,

A PDF reader which allows you to save a PDF file as a text file, is
contained in the Webbie suite of programs, and is very simple to use!

www.webbie.org.uk

Regards,

John.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, John,

Will the webbie suite of programs work well with windows 10?

Rosemarie

On 10/28/2016 12:19 PM, john poole wrote:
Hi,

A PDF reader which allows you to save a PDF file as a text file, is
contained in the Webbie suite of programs, and is very simple to use!

www.webbie.org.uk

Regards,

John.

john poole

Sorry Rosemary, I have not tried them with Windows 10, if you contact
Alasdair King the Webbie creator you will find him very helpful!

Regards,
John

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, John,

I'll contact him and see if webbie works well with windows 10.

Rosemarie

On 10/28/2016 3:46 PM, john poole wrote:
Sorry Rosemary, I have not tried them with Windows 10, if you contact
Alasdair King the Webbie creator you will find him very helpful!

Regards,
John

There are a few things.
1. adobe's own acrobat reader will read anything that is accessible excluding protected and image files or files that are not written in acrobat.
2. textpal, edsharp, pdf2txt from empowermentzone, textpal, and pdf2txt are just not developed anymore though no updates for ages.
Balabolka will read any file which is accessible.
I still go for codex using the calibre engine.
THat will work, it also removes drm.
Why is that good?
Well it means I can take my own purchiced books, then crack them for conversion to text so I can read them on my system of daisy player.
I mean, these are my books.

On 29/10/2016 8:19 a.m., john poole wrote:
Hi,

A PDF reader which allows you to save a PDF file as a text file, is
contained in the Webbie suite of programs, and is very simple to use!

www.webbie.org.uk

Regards,

John.

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

A Word of warning though, If the text is not tagged for its reading order if the format alters anywhere in the file, then you will be most likely to get columns running together and all sorts of other odd things when you convert it however you do it.
Far too many government pdfs are protected these days. There seems to be a bit of paranoia, at least in the UK with this.
as for OCR well, much depends on the quality of the scanned image. I have been attempting to ocr things like appointment letters from NHS recently with mixed results. Their printer must be ex Flintstones I imagine.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

It won't see the protected content though I tried it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

A PDF reader which allows you to save a PDF file as a text file, is
contained in the Webbie suite of programs, and is very simple to use!

www.webbie.org.uk

Regards,

John.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well the one mentioned and calendar and some of the others seem to, most seem to be written with .Net and download anything that is lacking if they need it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Will the webbie suite of programs work well with windows 10?

Rosemarie

On 10/28/2016 12:19 PM, john poole wrote:
Hi,

A PDF reader which allows you to save a PDF file as a text file, is
contained in the Webbie suite of programs, and is very simple to use!

www.webbie.org.uk

Regards,

John.

CJ

Brian, you may be interested to know that since 31 July 2016, it is a legal requirement for all NHS facilities to send appointments by email in plain text if requested. That is not to say that it is that easy - I am currently pursuing a complaint against my health authority for not having the the facilities in place to meet the deadline. This was a directive issued by NHS England on 3 July 2015 for an Accessible Information Standard. You can read the full details here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/accessibleinfo/ The relevant documents are in both pdf and word format to download.

It would appear that a lot of health authorities have not met the deadline, mine didn't even seem to know about it, so it would be worth while everyone insisting on email appointments to force the NHS to pull their fingers out to get this sorted as quickly as possible.

CJ

On 29/10/2016 10:29, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
A Word of warning though, If the  text is not tagged for its reading order if the format alters anywhere in the file, then you will be most likely to get columns running together and all sorts of other odd things when you convert it however you do it.
Far too many government pdfs are protected these days. There seems to be a bit of paranoia, at least in the UK with this.
as for OCR well, much depends on the quality of the scanned image. I have been attempting to ocr things like appointment letters from NHS recently with mixed results. Their printer must be ex Flintstones I imagine.
Brian

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

We know that, but they are blatantly refusing to do so nationwide. There are some pockets of compliance but the issue is being shuttled up and down management and nobody wants to actually do it so they hide behind the data protection act instead if challenged.
This is really not a discussion for here, but thought I'd let you know I'm in on this one, but I fear until some large class action is arranged and not settled out of court, they will not comply no matter what the law says.
[...]

Nicholas Stevens

Hi Heaven,
Try abby fine reader. Works well.
Regards