Topics

Spreadsheet editing software recommendations - open office, or libre office?


Jacob Kruger
 

While am currently sticking to open office calc when it comes to working with things like .xls/.xlsx spreadhseet files, partly since libre office seemed not to cooperate so nicely with NVDA, just wanted to ask if there are any specific reasons/methods/means that some of you guys would recommend one or the other, or another free alternative?


TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."


 

the only free and opensource softwares which i found are libreoffice
and openoffice and i did not find anything else until now.
but libreoffice is more compatible with microsoft file formats.

On 2/18/19, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:
While am currently sticking to open office calc when it comes to working
with things like .xls/.xlsx spreadhseet files, partly since libre office
seemed not to cooperate so nicely with NVDA, just wanted to ask if there
are any specific reasons/methods/means that some of you guys would
recommend one or the other, or another free alternative?


TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."



--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali


 

These days, with the advent of the entirely legal "recycled license market" coming out of the EU, I'd recommend buying the real thing for a song.

I've now upgraded at least 6 machines with Office 2016 Pro Plus for $10 US or less per machine using recycled licenses.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Chris Shook
 

Brian,
Where can I find these recycled licenses?


molly the blind tech lover
 

Can spread sheets be edited with excel? I want to create a spread sheet.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Shook
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 8:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Spreadsheet editing software recommendations - open
office, or libre office?

Brian,
Where can I find these recycled licenses?


 

The recycled license market is readily accessible on eBay.  There are other sites, too, but that's the one I use.

Excel is the granddaddy of all electronic spreadsheet programs.  Of course it can be used to create and edit spreadsheets - it practically invented them.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

 

 


Antony Stone
 

How can you tell that a licence key you buy on eBay has genuinely been
recycled and is not also being used on other machines?

Excel was released (first for the Mac) in 1985. The first really successful
spreadsheet application (so successful that it helped to sell the Apple II and
other pre-IBM PC machines) was VisiCalc, released six years earlier in 1979.


Regards,


Antony.

On Monday 18 February 2019 at 15:42:09, Brian Vogel wrote:

The recycled license market is readily accessible on eBay. There are other
sites, too, but that's the one I use.

Excel is the granddaddy of all electronic spreadsheet programs. Of course
it can be used to create and edit spreadsheets - it practically invented
them.
--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.


 

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
How can you tell that a licence key you buy on eBay has genuinely been
recycled and is not also being used on other machines?
You can't, if you come right down to it.   That being said, eBay can and will ban individuals who try to sell licenses that cannot be activated.  I purchased one where this was the case.  In one other the seller refunded my purchase and another they issued me a second key.  When we're talking under $10, and you are in a great many cases, even if it were to be a total loss on several you'd still be way ahead of the game.

One thing with recycled licenses is that the vast majority will not activate via the internet.  I always go immediately to phone activation as a result.  These days phone activation is a bit of a misnomer, as at one time that always meant talking to a live rep.  Now it means filling out a form on the computer giving your license key, certifying that you're only installing on one machine (which I always am), and giving them a cell number to which they can text the activation code.  While entering an activation code in the activation wizard is not fun, since it's a one time deal I'm more than willing to do it given the savings involved.

There are also now quite a few multi-machine install, usually up to 5 machines, licenses available for Office 365, too.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back