CTRL-C doesn't work for copying text when NVDA is on

Ryan Boudwin

Hey everyone,

I recently swapped from JAWS to NVDA because it seems to work better for me for certain web applications that I use for work.

However, whenever NVDA is running I have noticed that CTRL-C no longer works for copying text to the clipboard.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a command I need to bind to a different keystroke to make the normal copy functionality work again? It works normally whenever NVDA is not running.

Best regards,

Ryan Boudwin

Jackie

Ryan, do you have any addons running w/NVDA? Because ctrl c does work
as expected. Also, do any of the apps at work hijack this keystroke?

On 2/20/19, Ryan Boudwin <ryanboudwin@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I recently swapped from JAWS to NVDA because it seems to work better for me
for certain web applications that I use for work.

However, whenever NVDA is running I have noticed that CTRL-C no longer
works for copying text to the clipboard.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a command I need to bind to
a different keystroke to make the normal copy functionality work again? It
works normally whenever NVDA is not running.

Best regards,

Ryan Boudwin

Roger Stewart

I've been using NVDA since 2012 and never had this problem. However, NVDA will not announce anything like "copied to clipboard" so you might not think anything has happened, but it does still work normally. When you paste the text, you'll find it all worked.
Roger

On 2/20/2019 10:54 AM, Ryan Boudwin wrote:
Hey everyone,

I recently swapped from JAWS to NVDA because it seems to work better for me for certain web applications that I use for work.

However, whenever NVDA is running I have noticed that CTRL-C no longer works for copying text to the clipboard.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a command I need to bind to a different keystroke to make the normal copy functionality work again? It works normally whenever NVDA is not running.

Best regards,

Ryan Boudwin

Jackie

It does announce "copy to clipboard".

On 2/20/19, Roger Stewart <paganus2@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Brice Mijares

at times I have to unload NVDA and reload it. If you don't hear text selected, then the copy command won't workk.

On 2/20/2019 9:02 AM, Jackie wrote:
Ryan, do you have any addons running w/NVDA? Because ctrl c does work
as expected. Also, do any of the apps at work hijack this keystroke?
On 2/20/19, Ryan Boudwin <ryanboudwin@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I recently swapped from JAWS to NVDA because it seems to work better for me
for certain web applications that I use for work.

However, whenever NVDA is running I have noticed that CTRL-C no longer
works for copying text to the clipboard.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a command I need to bind to
a different keystroke to make the normal copy functionality work again? It
works normally whenever NVDA is not running.

Best regards,

Ryan Boudwin

I can confirm that, at least without an add-on to do it, NVDA doesn't announce anything when we perform such operations (cut, copy, paste etc.).
What did you do to have these announcements?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

On 2/20/19, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:
[...]

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello there,

Is it tha the command doesn't work, or that its result isn't announced?

There are some add-ons to make NVDA announce when text is copied to clipboard or pasted.

The one I use is called

FakeClipboardannouncement.

hth, ciao,

Ollie

Jackie

Well, weirdly enough, it does do this in Firefox, but not in Word,
Notepad, etc. They really should make that consistent, & they should
make it suchvvv that announcement could be toggled on/off as desired.

Follow me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/firirinfonfon>

[...]

Kwork

But do any of these add-ons speak the result of the action itself, or just the keyboard command when pressed?

When I tried one, I realized that it would say "copied to clipboard," whether the action had been completed successfully or not. When I used to use JAWS, if the program said "copied" after pressing ctrl+c, I knew I could believe it. With the NVDA add-on, it spoke the action, but didn't know for sure if it worked or not, which many times it did not. If this has been somehow fixed, that would be a great aid as NVDA's silence can be somewhat irritating until verifying what's on the clipboard with NVDA+c. I'd love it to not only echo the key action.

Another thing I'd like to see in NVDA is for the first part of a large block of text being read out when NVDA+c is pressed. As of now it tells you the number of characters, but that's all. If you are moving large portions of text at a time, it would be nice to have some confirmation of at least some of it, maybe the first 100 characters or so. Even the full text would be ok as anything past what you'd want to hear can be easily silenced by the user with the control key.

Travis

On 2/20/2019 10:30 AM, Mallard wrote:

Hello there,

Is it tha the command doesn't work, or that its result isn't announced?

There are some add-ons to make NVDA announce when text is copied to clipboard or pasted.

The one I use is called

FakeClipboardannouncement.

hth, ciao,

Ollie

Agreed.
Seems we are some new functions to be implemented to the good new versions of NVDA.
If you was looking at the discussion about graphical announcements then you know it as well :)

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

On 2/20/19, marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> wrote:
[...]

Using fake clipboard announcement it does exactly what you described. That is, it speaks the command regardless it has worked or not.
However, there is an add-on which also does exactly what you described after the first, I just can't remember its name right now.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 20/02/2019 14:49, Kwork escreveu:

[...]

Mohamed

I think you're referring to Clipspeak?

For reference, here's its page on the NVDA addons website. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

On 2/20/2019 2:12 PM, Mohamed via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Also, just to offer another perspective, I have yet to see any screen reader "hijack" the vast majority of Windows keyboard commands, and absolutely none have ever touched Copy (CTRL+C), Cut (CTRL+X), or Paste (CTRL+V).

They very seldom "hijack" program keyboard shortcuts, either.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Precisely. Clipspeak is the name of the add-on I was talking about.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 20/02/2019 16:12, Mohamed escreveu:

[...]

Richard Wells

I really like the way Clip Contents Designer handles this. http://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=ccd

On 2/20/2019 1:33 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have that too, bu for some reason I prefer FakeClipboardAnnounce. By the way, mine speaks Spanish, and it says "Copiado" and "pegado"... I don't know why, but in any case I love that! (smile)

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 20/02/2019 20:39, Richard Wells ha scritto:

[...]

The only place I could find a download link for the Fake Clipboard Announcement add-on is this page:  https://jeff.tdrealms.com/index.php?page=NVDA

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

for me it works
u just dont hear it sometimes

I recently swapped from JAWS to NVDA because it seems to work better for me for certain web applications that I use for work.

However, whenever NVDA is running I have noticed that CTRL-C no longer works for copying text to the clipboard

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a command I need to bind to a different keystroke to make the normal copy functionality work again? It works normally whenever NVDA is not running.

Best regards,

Ryan Boudwin

Quentin Christensen

Did you mention in one email further in the thread that copying with control+c is working in Word but not Firefox?  Do you happen to be selecting text with the mouse?  There is a known issue where if you select text with the mouse on the web, pressing CONTROL+C doesn't work with NVDA running.  In that case, what you can do is either right click or press the applications key to open the context menu, and choose "copy".

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager