Clipspeak does not work

Brian's Mail list account

I thought it might have been fixed but its still not able to paste into word documents without the following error occurring.

There is insufficient memory. Save the document now

This seems not to care which version of Word I'm using, even old versions like Word XP show this error.
Very odd.
I guess its a side issue due to how it checks clipboard contents. One has to remember that pasting from say wordpad as I tried to Word is probably dealing with both the normal and office clipboard which may have some bearing on the problem so its back to the dumb add on unless anyone has any fixes for the current add on.
Brian.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!
I use ClipSpeak all the time, and have never had the error you describe,
Brian, not even in Microsoft Word. Either I'm simply lucky, or there is some
problem with your copy of Word, although I can't guess what that would be.
Do any other ClipSpeak users have the "insufficient memory" error mentioned
below?
Bye for now!
From Clare

I thought it might have been fixed but its still not able to paste into word

documents without the following error occurring.

There is insufficient memory. Save the document now

This seems not to care which version of Word I'm using, even old versions
like Word XP show this error.
Very odd.
I guess its a side issue due to how it checks clipboard contents. One has
to remember that pasting from say wordpad as I tried to Word is probably
dealing with both the normal and office clipboard which may have some
bearing on the problem so its back to the dumb add on unless anyone has any
fixes for the current add on.
Brian.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Why is it back to the dumb add-on?  Does pasting occur when you hear the error?  When you hear the error, does that reliably tell you that pasting has occurred?  If so, then what difference does it make?  You are still being informed.  Of course, the problem should be fixed and even more urgently if the code is being added to the core, but you haven't indicated that this error interferes with pasting.

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 3:29 AM

[...]

No this has always been the issue with word versions on windows 7 for me.

The paste does not occur, but turning off clipspeak and turning back on the dumb routine and all is sweetness and light again.

It seems some part of Office is misreading memory somehow.

No issues in any other software. I unfortunately cannot go back to a current word as I found it terrible to use for the usual ribbon menu reasons, so went back.

I imagine its a memory issue of some sort though.

Don't worry, did somebody say clip contents designer does the job as well? Might try that instead.
I think the author was aware of the issue with some installations of Word back at the start.
Its a bit like the way word will occasionally ask if you want to save changes when none have been made if nvda is running. That is another unexplained thing some people get while others do not.
[...]

How many machines have you tested on?  Given the popularity of this add-on, I'm suspicious that this is a problem that isn't a general one.  I don't know if others have it but I suspect that the number is small, if any.  We should have heard many complaints by now if it were widespread.

Gene

I thought it might have been fixed but its still not able to paste into word
documents without the following error occurring.

There is insufficient memory. Save the document now

This seems not to care which version of Word I'm using, even old versions
like Word XP show this error.
 Very odd.
 I guess its a side issue due to how it checks clipboard contents. One has
to remember that pasting from say wordpad as I tried to Word is probably
dealing with both the normal and office clipboard which may have some
bearing on the problem so its back to the dumb add on unless anyone has any
fixes for the current add on.
 Brian.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Kevin Cussick

Hi, nope it just works, using windows10 home 64 bit.

On 21/02/2019 11:13, Clare Page wrote:
Hi!
I use ClipSpeak all the time, and have never had the error you describe,
Brian, not even in Microsoft Word. Either I'm simply lucky, or there is some
problem with your copy of Word, although I can't guess what that would be.
Do any other ClipSpeak users have the "insufficient memory" error mentioned
below?
Bye for now!
From Clare
I thought it might have been fixed but its still not able to paste into word
documents without the following error occurring.
There is insufficient memory. Save the document now
This seems not to care which version of Word I'm using, even old versions
like Word XP show this error.
Very odd.
I guess its a side issue due to how it checks clipboard contents. One has
to remember that pasting from say wordpad as I tried to Word is probably
dealing with both the normal and office clipboard which may have some
bearing on the problem so its back to the dumb add on unless anyone has any
fixes for the current add on.
Brian.
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.
Clipspeak works for me too as well 😊

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 04:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
even old versions like Word XP show this error.
These ancient, and out of support versions, are far more likely to encounter issues with more modern code interacting with them.

Based on what has been offered so far on this topic it is virtually certain that there is something idiosyncratic about your system that is triggering this error.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account

My Two here, but when it first appeared it used to occur on xp machines a lot.
I've not tried it on windows 10.
As you say it might be a complex interaction involving other software as well, but trying to find out which is probably going to take more time than is really needed since I can cope with the alternative.
[...]

So you have a document in wordpad, you select t part of it, then attempt to paste it in an empty word document, and you do not get the error?
[...]

Yes I'm suspecting as much. It certainly used to do it in word 2007 and 13, but I went back to an older version out of expediency in the end.
However I suspect it could be some other software also interacting that gives the problem if I get time later on I'll re enable it and see if I can see anything interesting in the log that might help. If not then I'll just accept I cannot use it.
I do not intend to update the machine for at least two years so why worry!

Windows 10, annoys me, due to its new version every 6 months.
Doo you find it an issue? I have many legacy programs which are very much needed for the talking newspaper to run, so I'm loathe to upset the applecart as it were.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 04:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

even old versions like Word XP show this error.
These ancient, and out of support versions, are far more likely to encounter issues with more modern code interacting with them.

Based on what has been offered so far on this topic it is virtually certain that there is something idiosyncratic about your system that is triggering this error.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account

The add on is extremely verbose trying to write whole tracts of the pasted text to the log file etc, but here is where the error occurs.
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.657):
Retrieving clipboard format: 49155
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.657):
Retrieving data for format 49155
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Data retrieved: 'WordPad.Document.1\x00Wordpad Document\x00\x00\x00'
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Retrieving clipboard format: 49166
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Retrieving data for format 49166
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Data retrieved: 'x\x00\x00\x00\x80\xdc\xfds\xa9\xae\x1a\x10\x98\xa7\x00\xaa\x007IY\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x004\x00\x00\x00V\x00\x00\x00W\x00o\x00r\x00d\x00p\x00a\x00d\x00 \x00D\x00o\x00c\x00u\x00m\x00e\x00n\x00t\x00\x00\x00W\x00o\x00r\x00d\x00p\x00a\x00d\x00 \x00D\x00o\x00c\x00u\x00m\x00e\x00n\x00t\x00\x00\x00'
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Retrieving clipboard format: 3
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Retrieving data for format 3
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.658):
Cannot retrieve data.
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.enumerate_clipboard (09:57:49.660):
Closing clipboard.
DEBUG - external:globalPlugins.clipspeak.clipboard_monitor.clipboard_monitor.valid_data (09:57:49.660):
The clipboard contains valid data.
IO - speech.speak (09:57:49.660):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Pasted text']
IO - speech.speak (09:57:49.681):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Microsoft Word dialog There is insufficient memory. Save the document now.']
IO - speech.speak (09:57:49.684):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'OK button']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:57:54.964):
Input: kb(desktop):enter
IO - speech.speak (09:57:55.052):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Document1 - Microsoft Word']
IO - speech.speak (09:57:55.055):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'edit multi line']
IO - speech.speak (09:57:55.089):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'page 3 section 1', u'\xb7', u'\t', u'25 February to 14 April 2019']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:57:59.476):
Input: kb(desktop):upArrow
DEBUG - editableText.EditableText._hasCaretMoved (09:57:59.507):
Caret move detected using bookmarks. Elapsed: 0 ms
IO - speech.speak (09:57:59.549):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'\xb7', u'\t', u'from the junction of Maple Road to 1-2 Garrick House']
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:58:02.940):
Input: kb(desktop):control+alt+r
IO - speech.speak (09:58:03.013):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'Taskbar']
IO - speech.speak (09:58:03.053):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), u'reboot nvda with log terminal']

I have edited out all the file contents that seem to be repeatedly written to the log while the paste process is carried out. I was wondering if this is in fact reducing memory for word and hence the error. the file did paste ok, and provided nvda cleaned up the memory then one supposes the system should be OK.
I have a theory here about this. If you recall, one of my other issues is nvda not starting after an update due to the log file not being unlocked as its still being written to.
Also there is the occasions where opening a browser says that the page cannot be found or server not found part way down a page. All of thiese things indeicate a delay inside of windows. That in my view is the problem with both my installations fof windows 7. all sorts of weird problems can occur, it might even be why dropbox dialogues do not work, after all if nvda does not see the right data it will just give up.

Now the machine is not slow, and neither is the other one either, and I do not really want to have to reinstall windows either. So unless a severe showstopper turns up, and only a handful of people get the issue, I suppose that is that as if nobody can duplicate it who has the programming knowledge to suggest work arounds, we are stuck.

All I'll say is that the only thing I do notice is extremely slow clearing of recycle bin etc, reinforcing the issue of some part of windows being slow.

Its not the drive as this machine has an ssd.
I guess some kind of benchmarking test might show up the problem, I do not know.