From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] About accessable book reading apps

Hello,
I know that the subject is off topic for this group, but I don't know any mailing group that it would be suitable for and I thought that discussing book reading won't hurt us. if I crowd your inbox I'm sorry.
first of all, just to satisfy my curiosity, how do you read or listen your books usually (e.g, which platform, what programs or apps, what kind of format in) and why?
for myself:
I usually get my books from Bookshare.org and read them with apple books Because it is very easy to use and acsessible.
Secondly, I like Apple books very much. it is pretty easy to use. However, it is very anoying not to be able to sencronize it with my computor or other divices. I would much prefer having a library that I can reach from everywhere. Adobe digital edditions seems promising at first but IOS app doesn't work with voiceover at all and it has some important accessibility issues in windows with NVDA wich I can tolerate if I could have used it in my phone effectively. do you have any recommendations for a free or cheap app that I can use in at least windows and IOS with singronisation? highlighting text and bookmarking is very important for me too.
I am really sorry about this long post but I think discussing this issue will be a stimulating discussion and is important.
Best regards

Kwork

The closest you'll get on Windows, I believe, and it's $30 right now, is QRead.

https://q-continuum.net/qread/

It can read pdf, epub, and a few other formats, and will integrate with Goodreads and Bookshare, and is developed by a blind developer for the blind. Faully NVDA accessible.

Travis

On 2/21/2019 9:24 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

Morning,

I too read largely on my iPhone and iPad, including DAISY, Epub, TXT, HTML and PDF text not simple images. I have used Voice Dream reader for years. It is inexpensive and permits bookmarking, highlighting, creating annotations and copying and pasting from text one is reading. It provides and Add feature that can take the user directly to BookShare, ?The Gutenberg project, apps like Pocket, and is included in the “Share” list in Safari.

I only wish there were a comparable  app for Microsoft Windows.

Rick

I love the convenience

[...]

Annette Moore

I love QRead! I wouldn't be without it!

Annette

On 2/21/2019 9:24 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

[...]

Yes, probably my favorite purchase as a computer user. It's more than paid for itself for me over the years.

On 2/21/2019 9:24 AM, ely.r@... wrote:

[...]

Mallard <mallard@...>

Yes, Qread is great. I too couldn't do without it in Windows.

the only drawback with Qread is that it doesn't maintain the links in ebooks, but the Find and Document Position are excellent features, which can definitely make up for that.

I thought Qread had sort of been abandoned by its dev, but a couple of weeks ago I had the pleasant surprise of an update, so it's alive and well...

Highly recommended. Worth every penny and more.

Ciao,

Ollie

Annette Moore

the only thing I don't like about the update is that it kind of broke the ability to read with anything other than your actual screen reader because every time I hit control+s to enable speech from QRead's own ability to enable that feature, it starts at the beginning of the book or document that it's reading from, no matter where the cursor used to be in the document. However, to make this on topic, if you read with just NVDA and whatever voice or synthesizer you choose to use and use your say-all command, it works beautifully! I can't use my Ivona Kendra voice, though, because of the issue I described above. I have an earlier portable version of QRead for times when I want to use Kendra, though.

Annette

On 2/22/2019 3:50 AM, Mallard wrote:
Yes, Qread is great. I too couldn't do without it in Windows.

the only drawback with Qread is that it doesn't maintain the links in ebooks, but the Find and Document Position are excellent features, which can definitely make up for that.

I thought Qread had sort of been abandoned by its dev, but a couple of weeks ago I had the pleasant surprise of an update, so it's alive and well...

Highly recommended. Worth every penny and more.

Ciao,

Ollie

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello Annette,

I haven't tried to change tts, so I hadn't noticed this issue.

I suppose we could contact Christopher and ask him to fix it, unless it's been done on purpose...

I'll test this right now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/02/2019 20:04, Annette Moore ha scritto:
[...]

Hello again Annette,

It works fine here. Ctrl+s toggles between tts. Or rather, it switches from the system tts to Microsoft Elsa, wich is the Italian voice. I have only that one tts active right now. But no issues here.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/02/2019 20:15, Mallard ha scritto:
[...]

Oh, no. As I never read with anything except NVDA, I would have missed that bug completely.

Travis

On 2/22/2019 12:04 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
[...]

.

Annette Moore

Ok, go somewhere else in the document. Like, go to the middle or somewhere, or do a search and put your cursor elsewhere. then try Elsa again. She will start reading at the very beginning instead of where you left off. At least that's what Ivona Kendra is doing, and it's doing it with others too who are using other TTS voices. I can read with just the screen reader, though, and that's not a problem. I do have Ivona Kendra on Voice Dream on the phone too so I can use that.

Annette

On 2/22/2019 1:19 PM, Mallard wrote:
[...]

Hi, Travis. Yeah, actually though, I'm likely going to start using just NVDA because with the other speech, it breaks up a lot. It didn't used to do that, but it got to where I often had to close QRead and reopen it and continue reading. It was getting to be a royal pain. I'll just use OneCor Zira now instead of Ivona Kendra.

Annette

On 2/22/2019 1:43 PM, Kwork wrote:
[...]

No, when I tested I did jus that, but Elsa reads from where the cursor is. I can't reproduce the issue here...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 22/02/2019 20:54, Annette Moore ha scritto:
[...]

JM Casey

I use qRead to open the files, then just save as .txt and dump into my braille note for reading on the display. :D
Neat programme though. It was worth the money because it does open these files really quickly.

[...]

Devin Prater

I'm still looking for a good, free program to do this, which will preserve formatting, like italics and bold. I just need it to open EPUB files, work with links, both external and internal, show a table of contents when asked, and save my place in the book. For now, I use my Mac, with Emacs, and Emacspeak to read Emacs, and the nov-el addon to read EPUB files.

On Feb 22, 2019, at 3:00 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:

[...]

Yep. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but all those thigns together are oddly
a rarity.

[...]

Cristóbal

QReadd's the closest thing I've found to a pretty complete program.
I use the portable version placed in my Google Drive folder to be able to
synch across my computers
I would like features where you could add notes to certain passages for a
more thorough reading experience. Especially if you're trying to learn or
study something, but alas.