Topics

subject keeps repeating when I hit enter on a message in thunderbird

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Tyler Spivey

No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency loss of being blind. I get it four times.
You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts to read.

Hi, everyone,
I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?
Thanks in advance.
Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'll get used to it. I have my keyboard set to skim mode so that helps.

On 2/22/2019 8:50 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency loss of being blind. I get it four times.
You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts to read.

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

No

In my case i use thunder bird and open it in a new window as soon as it opens so it does not repeat the subject line i use the desktop command nvda key + down arrow key for it to start reading the email.  So it is not repeated. If i remember right the command for a lap top user is nvda key + a? I would have to check.

Gene nz

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Annette Moore

I don't usually let it read me the subject after hitting enter; instead, I immediately hit the say-all command. however, I just purposely let it start reading the entire email without doing anything after hitting enter, and it only read me the subject once, followed by the body. I'm using the latest version of thunderbird, whatever that is. It just updated fairly recently. Sorry; I know this probably isn't helpful, to hear that my thunderbird isn't repeatedly reading me the subject lines of emails, but I thought I'd let you know I'm not experiencing the same issue here.

Annette

On 2/22/2019 10:50 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency loss of being blind. I get it four times.
You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts to read.

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Annette Moore

Ok, when I opened a message in a new window, it did repeat the subject here about three times. Opening the message in a new tab didn't have that result.

Annette

Hi

No

In my case i use thunder bird and open it in a new window as soon as it opens so it does not repeat the subject line i use the desktop command nvda key + down arrow key for it to start reading the email.  So it is not repeated. If i remember right the command for a lap top user is nvda key + a? I would have to check.

Gene nz

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

Rosemarie Chavarria

I have it set to a new tab and now the subject line isn't repeating anymore. I did turn off the message pane and that might have helped.

On 2/22/2019 9:23 PM, Annette Moore wrote:

[...]

I do have my keyboard set to skim mode so I could try opening messages in a new window and then just hit the up-arrow to read the message.

On 2/22/2019 9:19 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
[...]

I think it is NVDA key and A.

[...]

yay! Glad the subject isn't repeating like a broken record for you now. (Grin).

Annette

[...]

I doubt it.  I've said before that using the read to end command stops any unwanted reading of extraneous material,  It becomes automatic once done for a short time and takes almost no time per message and it saves a lot of time when compared to just letting the unwanted material read.  I don't ever recall a solution that worked being proposed.

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 10:23 PM
Subject: [nvda] subject keeps repeating when I hit enter on a message in thunderbird

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit
enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is
read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

I don't know what you mean by starting to navigate.  Just issue the read to end command.  the same when doing a search in a browser using the screen-reader search.  If you issue read current line immediately when you hear speech after initiating a search, the extraneous material will stop being read and the intended material will be heard.

You have to help screen-readers along at times, given the complex environments in which they work and their complexity and given that they are working in a visually oriented interface.

No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency
loss of being blind. I get it four times.
You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts
to read.

> Hi, everyone,
>

> I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit
> enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is
> read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Is not this sort of issue what can happen when an event fires more than once in a piece of software. It would be interesting to know what Jaws does.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency loss of being blind. I get it four times.
You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts to read.

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

When I tested this years ago, JAWS did the same thing.  I haven't tested recently.

I see that opening messages in a new tab appears to solve the problem and that's good.  But the problem may happen in other e-mail programs and I don't recall seeing any solution that works except the work around of using read to end.  That's what I do in Windows Live Mail and what I used to do in Outlook Express.

> No. you'll just have to get used to it. This is part of the efficiency
> loss of being blind. I get it four times.
> You can avoid it somewhat by starting to navigate as soon as it starts to
> read.
>
> On 2/22/2019 8:23 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
>> Hi, everyone,
>>

>> I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter
>> on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out.
>> Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?
>>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Rosemarie

Sile

Hi, do you know if you have the review pain disabled and Thunderbird? This pops up a brief version of the message as soon as your cursor passes over it even before it is opened. If this is disabled, I think this behavior will go away.
On Feb 23, 2019, at 12:19 AM, Annette Moore <angelgirl52376@...> wrote:
Sile
[...]

Ps, that should say preview pain

[...]

Roger Stewart

This is a long standing bug in nvda. All I do is hit ctrl or esc to silence speech and then hit the read to end command and then I just hear the body of the message.
Roger\

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

.

Rosemarie Chavarria

The preview pane is disabled and the subject line startedrepeating itself again. I don't know why this behavior is persisting.

On 2/23/2019 2:45 AM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I'll have to start doing that.

On 2/23/2019 8:15 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
This is a long standing bug in nvda. All I do is hit ctrl or esc to silence speech and then hit the read to end command and then I just hear the body of the message.
Roger\

Hi, everyone,

I have thunderbird set to open messages in a new tab but when I hit enter on a message, the subject keeps repeating before the message is read out. Isthere a setting I might need to change in thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

.

Gene

You are issuing an unnecessary command.  Every command you issue silences previous speech and also carries out the command.  All you have to do is issue one command, read to end.  It will silence any current speech and begin reading to end.  You only have to use control to silence speech when you want to silence speech and have no other action taken.

It does this because every command silences speech but control by itself never does anything else, as a standard practice in Windows.

This is important to know for convenience and efficiency.  If you are reading and want the current line repeated, if you are still on that line, just using read current line will both stop current speech and read the current line.  You don't have to use control first.  That is another example of gaining efficiency and removing an inconvenience.

Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:06 AM