Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

James Scholes

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 07:45 AM, Gene wrote:
Is there any reason to have it running constantly?

Yes.  I use Dropbox for work, so exiting and restarting the client all day long would be just as inconvenient as these pop-ups.  My Dropbox also contains a large number of source code files.  They're small in size but the Dropbox client takes a long time to index them on startup.  Not to mention the fact that one of the key selling points of the product is that it runs in the background, making cloud storage as convenient as a folder on your computer.

I do face a same problem. almost every hour I have to manually move the focus back to my main area.
It speak something "C:\..........Dropbox.exe"
It is inapplicable to turnoff Dropbox app as my work is rely on Dropbox to cooperate with partners.
And my work rely on NVDA command to speak all; everytime when NVDA speak for several minutes and the Dropbox window popup and the speak all command is interupted and I have to manually move back to my document and look for where NVDA has stoped and it is very time wasting.

James Scholes 於 24/2/2019 23:32 寫道:

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Roger Stewart

Knock on wood, so far, I haven't had this problem. I've been using Dropbox since 2010.

Roger

On 2/24/2019 5:59 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Hi James.  Strangely enough, I have this issue as well.  The only thing I can do is to go to task manager and delete all tasks relating to dropbox.  Just delete every dropbox task you can find under the background process option, and there are a few of those including the dropbox update service.  Cheers!

On 2/24/2019 11:32 PM, James Scholes wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Actually I noticed this behavior only after the latest windows update.  Strange how windows updates affect us in not so convenient ways.  Cheers!

On 2/25/2019 1:08 AM, James Scholes wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 07:45 AM, Gene wrote:
Is there any reason to have it running constantly?

Yes.  I use Dropbox for work, so exiting and restarting the client all day long would be just as inconvenient as these pop-ups.  My Dropbox also contains a large number of source code files.  They're small in size but the Dropbox client takes a long time to index them on startup.  Not to mention the fact that one of the key selling points of the product is that it runs in the background, making cloud storage as convenient as a folder on your computer.

I have this in dropbox 67 to.

To be honest, do you need dropbox running all day long.

I used to run projects with various people which was my main reason to keep it running at all costs, however, usually I sync data once a day and only when I have data, dropbox stays up till its not needed and then turned off.

Even if I do a project, I update dropbox, shut it down and bring it up several times a day as needed and never run it on startup so its not a big issue.

On 25/02/2019 4:32 AM, James Scholes wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed, but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this sort of nagging are they?

Its even worse if the nag screen does not contain any readable text.
I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for something less inaccessible

I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess is on the latest version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in. To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a problem
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Is there any reason to have it running constantly? You can exit it and only run it when you want to use it.

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

As a matter of interest, can you access the log in share, and the preferences OK? I lost access to these some time ago, and now have to use a sighted person to change them.
They have though thankfully stopped that annoying pop up that asked if you wanted to delete files from all devices. In order to get around this inaccessible bit I used to have to delete from a command prompt.