Topics

Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

James Scholes

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Gene

Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only run it when you want to use it.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:32 AM
Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so,
NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to
contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on
the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it
disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0
pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day
is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

James Scholes

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 07:45 AM, Gene wrote:
Is there any reason to have it running constantly?

Yes.  I use Dropbox for work, so exiting and restarting the client all day long would be just as inconvenient as these pop-ups.  My Dropbox also contains a large number of source code files.  They're small in size but the Dropbox client takes a long time to index them on startup.  Not to mention the fact that one of the key selling points of the product is that it runs in the background, making cloud storage as convenient as a folder on your computer.

Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@...>

Hi,
I do face a same problem. almost every hour I have to manually move the focus back to my main area.
It speak something "C:\..........Dropbox.exe"
It is inapplicable to turnoff Dropbox app as my work is rely on Dropbox to cooperate with partners.
And my work rely on NVDA command to speak all; everytime when NVDA speak for several minutes and the Dropbox window popup and the speak all command is interupted and I have to manually move back to my document and look for where NVDA has stoped and it is very time wasting.

James Scholes 於 24/2/2019 23:32 寫道:

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

Roger Stewart

Knock on wood, so far, I haven't had this problem. I've been using Dropbox since 2010.

Roger

On 2/24/2019 5:59 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
Hi,
I do face a same problem. almost every hour I have to manually move the focus back to my main area.
It speak something "C:\..........Dropbox.exe"
It is inapplicable to turnoff Dropbox app as my work is rely on Dropbox to cooperate with partners.
And my work rely on NVDA command to speak all; everytime when NVDA speak for several minutes and the Dropbox window popup and the speak all command is interupted and I have to manually move back to my document and look for where NVDA has stoped and it is very time wasting.

James Scholes 於 24/2/2019 23:32 寫道:
Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92.  Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field.  The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears.  In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating.  Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

Jaffar Sidek

Hi James.  Strangely enough, I have this issue as well.  The only thing I can do is to go to task manager and delete all tasks relating to dropbox.  Just delete every dropbox task you can find under the background process option, and there are a few of those including the dropbox update service.  Cheers!

On 2/24/2019 11:32 PM, James Scholes wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Actually I noticed this behavior only after the latest windows update.  Strange how windows updates affect us in not so convenient ways.  Cheers!

On 2/25/2019 1:08 AM, James Scholes wrote:

Yes.  I use Dropbox for work, so exiting and restarting the client all day long would be just as inconvenient as these pop-ups.  My Dropbox also contains a large number of source code files.  They're small in size but the Dropbox client takes a long time to index them on startup.  Not to mention the fact that one of the key selling points of the product is that it runs in the background, making cloud storage as convenient as a folder on your computer.

I have this in dropbox 67 to.

To be honest, do you need dropbox running all day long.

I used to run projects with various people which was my main reason to keep it running at all costs, however, usually I sync data once a day and only when I have data, dropbox stays up till its not needed and then turned off.

Even if I do a project, I update dropbox, shut it down and bring it up several times a day as needed and never run it on startup so its not a big issue.

On 25/02/2019 4:32 AM, James Scholes wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed, but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this sort of nagging are they?

Its even worse if the nag screen does not contain any readable text.
I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for something less inaccessible

I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess is on the latest version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:32 PM

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in. To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a problem
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups

Is there any reason to have it running constantly? You can exit it and only run it when you want to use it.

Gene

To: nvda@groups.io

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or so,
contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to stay on
disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking up a rectangle of 0

is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

As a matter of interest, can you access the log in share, and the preferences OK? I lost access to these some time ago, and now have to use a sighted person to change them.
They have though thankfully stopped that annoying pop up that asked if you wanted to delete files from all devices. In order to get around this inaccessible bit I used to have to delete from a command prompt.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 5:08 PM

Yes. I use Dropbox for work, so exiting and restarting the client all day long would be just as inconvenient as these pop-ups. My Dropbox also contains a large number of source code files. They're small in size but the Dropbox client takes a long time to index them on startup. Not to mention the fact that one of the key selling points of the product is that it runs in the background, making cloud storage as convenient as a folder on your computer.

Unfortunately many of us do need dropbox all day long.
I only see it at start up at the moment, or rather don't see it. It has the knock on effect that a calendar pop up I have cannot be minimised until the window closes on its own a few minutes.
Can somebody perhaps contact dropbox themselves. They normally are helpful if a little slow. After all they may innocently be closing these windows for the sighted, ie, they are transparent but oblivious that the open window is not vanishing for the screenreader user.

Could be one for the dev list in case anyone over there has a contact?

As I say, in my windows 7 there is more wrong with dropbox than just this, but as its main core functions work, I leave well alone. I used to stop updates but Dropbox then started to send me messages that I had not got the latest dropbox.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 2:15 AM

I used to run projects with various people which was my main reason to keep it running at all costs, however, usually I sync data once a day and only when I have data, dropbox stays up till its not needed and then turned off.

Even if I do a project, I update dropbox, shut it down and bring it up several times a day as needed and never run it on startup so its not a big issue.

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

On my side, I have a feeling that I'm getting the same window, although it's not as the firs poster described.
It's more like yours, Brian, it opens mostly when the Windows starts and, every now and then, randomly.
I just don't know what this window is about, so I'm not sure it's the same. May well be so, though.
Em 25/02/2019 06:17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed, but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this sort of nagging are they?

I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for something less inaccessible

I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess  is on the latest version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Scholes" <james@...>

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@...>

Well, I do need Dropbox to run all the way.
I have paired up Dropbox with My Iphone shortcuts app to simulate something like shared clipboard, and it is impossible to turn it off and turn it on time by time.

Shaun Everiss 於 25/2/2019 10:15 寫道:

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

Gene

Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

When it opens it acts just like the tray, ie pressing space gives a menu. One of the options on the menu that I've never heard of is snooze notifications. Could this be a new feature which uses inaccessible display routines. so we need somebody to go on the web site for us and report this problem in accessibility. Somebody on here must be sighted and able to help their web site is rather unfriendly so I have given up on the thing going around in circles.

If somebody can look at preferences who has a working preferences system, unlike my windows 7, could they look for this snooze function? It seems you can stop dropbox for some minutes hours or till the next day. Not really sure what on earth is the point in alerting people that its not active when the whole point of dropbox as it just does its thing. I can understand it on a portable app, where mobile data is a t a premium and you may only want it to update on wifi, but for goodness sake the mobile app is not an off line solution unless you pay for it on mobiles its basically just looking at the web site. These are two different use cases.

Seems crazy if this is what it is.

It would also explain why my people at the studio have been having some odd things going on on recordings if programs are shoving windows up for no apparent reason and mouse clickers close them and muck up the recording in the process.

Its been fine for years, if its not bust dont fix it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 10:18 AM

On my side, I have a feeling that I'm getting the same window, although
it's not as the firs poster described.
It's more like yours, Brian, it opens mostly when the Windows starts
and, every now and then, randomly.
I just don't know what this window is about, so I'm not sure it's the
same. May well be so, though.

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>

Em 25/02/2019 06:17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:
I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at
start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed,
but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a
cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business
services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and
need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this
sort of nagging are they?

I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking
newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for
something less inaccessible

I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess is on the latest version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Scholes"
<james@...>

Hi all,

I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or
so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems
to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to
stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was
previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking
up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up
visually on the screen at all.

As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per
day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?

Regards,

James Scholes

Gene

It isn't clear to me if this discussion is relevant. 
But the message that talks about possibly stopping all notifications may be helpful.  Each comment is preceded by a line with the word menu.  Searching for this word will efficiently get you from one answer to the next.  A lot of people are disgusted by these notifications and Dropbox will have to address the problem, as you will see.

I didn't find anything about Snooze notifications by searching for snooze notifications Dropbox.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 9:19 AM

When it opens it acts just like the tray, ie pressing space gives a menu.
One of the options on the menu that I've never heard of is snooze
notifications. Could this be a new feature which uses inaccessible display
routines. so we need somebody to go on the web site for us and report this
problem in accessibility. Somebody on here must be sighted and able to help
their web site is rather unfriendly so I have given up on the thing going
around in circles.

If somebody can look at preferences who has a working preferences system,
unlike my windows 7, could they look for this snooze function? It seems you
can stop dropbox for some minutes hours or till the next day. Not really
sure what on earth is the point in alerting people that its not active when
the whole point of dropbox as it just does its thing. I can understand it on
a portable app, where mobile data is a t a premium and you may only want it
to update on wifi, but for goodness sake the mobile app is not an off line
solution unless you pay for it on mobiles its basically just looking at the
web site. These are two different use cases.

It would also explain why my  people at the studio have been having some
odd things going on on recordings if programs are shoving windows up for no
apparent reason and mouse clickers close them and  muck up the recording in
the process.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> On my side, I have a feeling that I'm getting the same window, although
> it's not as the firs poster described.
> It's more like yours, Brian, it opens mostly when the Windows starts
> and, every now and then, randomly.
> I just don't know what this window is about, so I'm not sure it's the
> same. May well be so, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Marcio
> Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>
>
> Em 25/02/2019 06:17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:
>> I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at
>> start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed,
>> but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a
>> cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business
>> services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and
>> need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this
>> sort of nagging are they?
>>
>> Its even worse if the nag screen does not contain any readable text.
>> I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking
>> newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for
>> something less inaccessible
>>
>> I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess is on the latest version.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Scholes"
>> <james@...>
>> To: <nvda@groups.io>
>> Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:32 PM
>> Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups
>>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or
>>> so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems
>>> to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to
>>> stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was
>>> previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking
>>> up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up
>>> visually on the screen at all.
>>>
>>> As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per
>>> day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> James Scholes
>>> https://twitter.com/JamesScholes
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  I didn't find anything in the dropbox options menu to stop notifications, which I find especially annoying as i am a paying customer.  ☹.

On 2/25/2019 11:38 PM, Gene wrote:
It isn't clear to me if this discussion is relevant. 
But the message that talks about possibly stopping all notifications may be helpful.  Each comment is preceded by a line with the word menu.  Searching for this word will efficiently get you from one answer to the next.  A lot of people are disgusted by these notifications and Dropbox will have to address the problem, as you will see.

I didn't find anything about Snooze notifications by searching for snooze notifications Dropbox.

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 9:19 AM

When it opens it acts just like the tray, ie pressing space gives a menu.
One of the options on the menu that I've never heard of is snooze
notifications. Could this be a new feature which uses inaccessible display
routines. so we need somebody to go on the web site for us and report this
problem in accessibility. Somebody on here must be sighted and able to help
their web site is rather unfriendly so I have given up on the thing going
around in circles.

If somebody can look at preferences who has a working preferences system,
unlike my windows 7, could they look for this snooze function? It seems you
can stop dropbox for some minutes hours or till the next day. Not really
sure what on earth is the point in alerting people that its not active when
the whole point of dropbox as it just does its thing. I can understand it on
a portable app, where mobile data is a t a premium and you may only want it
to update on wifi, but for goodness sake the mobile app is not an off line
solution unless you pay for it on mobiles its basically just looking at the
web site. These are two different use cases.

It would also explain why my  people at the studio have been having some
odd things going on on recordings if programs are shoving windows up for no
apparent reason and mouse clickers close them and  muck up the recording in
the process.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> On my side, I have a feeling that I'm getting the same window, although
> it's not as the firs poster described.
> It's more like yours, Brian, it opens mostly when the Windows starts
> and, every now and then, randomly.
> I just don't know what this window is about, so I'm not sure it's the
> same. May well be so, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Marcio
> Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>
>
> Em 25/02/2019 06:17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:
>> I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, only at the moment its only at
>> start up. If I leave it for about three mins then it can be closed,
>> but not until. Last time it was according to a friend a picture of a
>> cartoon dog promoting one of the paid for services, such as business
>> services. I'm getting the impression that they are short of money and
>> need moor of us to pay. Now they are not making any friends by this
>> sort of nagging are they?
>>
>> Its even worse if the nag screen does not contain any readable text.
>> I do have worries though as we use dropbox a lot for talking
>> newspapers and if this goes on some of us will be looking for
>> something less inaccessible
>>
>> I only have version 67 here so maybe this mess is on the latest version.
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Scholes"
>> <james@...>
>> To: <nvda@groups.io>
>> Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:32 PM
>> Subject: [nvda] Invisible Dropbox pop-ups
>>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm running Dropbox v68.3.92. Approximately every half an hour or
>>> so, NVDA's focus is being moved to a Dropbox window which only seems
>>> to contain a single, blank edit field. The window doesn't seem to
>>> stay on the screen, but focus isn't returned to where it was
>>> previously after it disappears. In fact, NVDA reports it as taking
>>> up a rectangle of 0 pixels, so I don't know if anything shows up
>>> visually on the screen at all.
>>>
>>> As you can imagine, having to dismiss these boxes several times per
>>> day is irritating. Does anybody have a work-around?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> James Scholes
>>> https://twitter.com/JamesScholes
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Well users on my twitter feed have had this happen on their macs as well as their windows workstations so.

On 25/02/2019 10:28 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Unfortunately many of us do need dropbox all day long.
I only see it at start up at the moment, or rather don't see it. It has the knock on effect that a calendar pop up I have cannot be minimised until the window closes on its own a few minutes.
Can somebody perhaps contact dropbox themselves. They normally are helpful if a little slow. After all they may innocently be closing these windows for the sighted, ie, they are transparent but oblivious that the open window is not vanishing for the screenreader user.

Could be one for the  dev list in case anyone over there has a contact?

As I say, in my windows 7 there is more wrong with dropbox than just this, but as its main core functions work, I leave well alone. I used to stop updates but Dropbox then started to send me messages that I had not got the latest dropbox.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 2:15 AM

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  I read this information a little late.  However, I check notifications, which are in settings and the notification for Drop Box is uncheck.

Dave

On 2/25/2019 5:10 AM, Gene wrote:
Has anyone looked through options in Dropbox to see if anything is available about not showing notifications or messages?  These are, presumably, shown in the system tray.  I almost never use DropBox, though I have it, and I usually don't have it running.  I don't know if I have the latest version.  But the first thing I would do is look through the options to see if anything is available.  I may check later today but it might be better if someone checks who uses it regularly, and knows they have the problem version.  Presumably, I either do or it would update if I leave it on.

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 3:18 AM

The whole thrust of it for us is that you can hear when new updates come in.
To try to schedule everything at the studio will cause our non tech folk a
problem
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Is there any reason to have it running constantly?  You can exit it and only
run it when you want to use it.

Gene

Hi all,

Regards,

James Scholes