How to Select a Link While n Browse Mode

bestuiexperience

I am a sighted user who may see a link highlighted while I am in browse mode, and attempt to select it b pressing the Enter key. However, that doesn't work. Must I always switch to forms mode before selecting the link?

Rosemarie Chavarria

Try clicking on the link using the mouse.

On 2/25/2019 7:06 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
I am a sighted user who may see a link highlighted while I am in browse mode, and attempt to select it b pressing the Enter key. However, that doesn't work. Must I always switch to forms mode before selecting the link?

bestuiexperience

Sorry, I should have been clear. I am trying to understand how a keybaord only-NVDA user would select a link while in browse mode, and whether they would need to switch to forms mode.

What do you mean by "selecting the link"?    If you mean being able to copy it to paste it elsewhere, you need not select the link from beginning to end.  So long as you're sitting on the link (anywhere on the link) bringing up the context menu should give you a copy link option, which snags the whole thing without having to do a conventional text select.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rosemarie Chavarria

Another way to select the link if you can't use enter is to hit shift enter.

On 2/25/2019 7:12 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clear. I am trying to understand how a keybaord only-NVDA user would select a link while in browse mode, and whether they would need to switch to forms mode.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Sounds like you have browse and forms mode mixed up.  While in browse mode, pressing enter on a link (assuming it's a normal link, and not one that is generated with fancy javascript, and truly isn't a link, only something looking like one) will take you to the page/spot linked to.  In forms mode though, you can type into edit fields, but activating links can't be done with the enter key, because it's assumed the enter key is going into the edit box.

On 2/25/2019 10:06 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
I am a sighted user who may see a link highlighted while I am in browse mode, and attempt to select it b pressing the Enter key. However, that doesn't work. Must I always switch to forms mode before selecting the link?

Are you using the mouse to move or using the keyboard?  I don't know what happens if you are using a mouse to move around the screen.

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 9:06 PM
Subject: [nvda] How to Select a Link While n Browse Mode

I am a sighted user who may see a link highlighted while I am in browse mode, and attempt to select it b pressing the Enter key. However, that doesn't work. Must I always switch to forms mode before selecting the link?

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

keyboard only users simply press enter on the specified link.  Assuming it's an actual link, that will do the trick.  If it's only something that looks like a link, but is actually something generated by javascript or some other means, then it may be necessary to use other methods to activate the link, such as NVDA-shift-enter, shift-enter, simulated mouse click, or routing the mouse and physiclaly pressing the buttons on the mouse.  Generally, one or more of those methods will click it properly if it's anything approaching a true link.  Of course, things get murky when trying to deal with license agreements that require scrolling to the bottom of the document, and so forth, but even those can be handeled with enough patience, frustration, and/or persistence.

On 2/25/2019 10:12 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clear. I am trying to understand how a keybaord only-NVDA user would select a link while in browse mode, and whether they would need to switch to forms mode.

bestuiexperience

I mean I want to activate the link, not copy it.

Gene

Shift enter opens the link in a new Window.  It may allow you to follow a link if a popup blocker is keeping it from functioning because the link is intended to open a new window.

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to Select a Link While n Browse Mode

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:25 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
I mean I want to activate the link, not copy it.
If you're in browse mode, and have focus on a link, then spacebar or enter (often either one, but I have had the rare occasion where either one or the other is the only one that works) activates the link.

By the way, I'm a fully sighted tutor for assistive technology.  If you're using NVDA for testing and are sighted I cannot implore you strongly enough to go to:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html, then promptly download and install the Focus Highlight Add-On.  It allows those of us who see to be directly cued as to NVDA's current state with regard to the item that currently has focus.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rosemarie Chavarria

I know shift enter opens a link in a new window but the original poster wasn't clear about what he wanted to do.

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 9:14 PM

Another way to select the link if you can't use enter is to hit shift enter.

On 2/25/2019 7:12 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clear. I am trying to understand how a keybaord only-NVDA user would select a link while in browse mode, and whether they would need to switch to forms mode.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I tend to use space bar but then that is just me. I'd be interested in what the page is and if the link is actually in focus , ie was navigated to by the keyboard when you tried to click it. IE if you are in browse mode, use tab or K to get to the link in browse mode, does the link work for you then? Simply cursoring to when you hear the link may be enough out not to be actually on it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Another way to select the link if you can't use enter is to hit shift
enter.

On 2/25/2019 7:12 PM, bestuiexperience wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clear. I am trying to understand how a
keybaord only-NVDA user would select a link while in browse mode, and
whether they would need to switch to forms mode.

Jonathan COHN

OK, when in browse mode, after NVDA has read a link, if you press enter then to the best of my knowledge NVDA will move the mouse to the location of the link and then perform a pseudo click.  If the link (or occasionally) parts of the link are off screen this action can sometimes fail. Is this perhaps what you are experiencing.

Jackie

& there are some times when neither enter or spacebar work to activate
a link. In cases like that, you either employ the elements list (NVDA
f7), choose the element/object you want, & activate it, or use object
navigation. Sometimes you find doing that that there are 2 objects
there, only 1 of which works for activation purposes.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 04:32 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I'd be interested in what the page is and if the link is actually in focus
This is one of the things I keep begging people to include when questions like this come up.  They are almost impossible to answer in the abstract because there are so many potential scenarios that can cause misbehavior.

Unless this is occurring somewhere like an online banking page, where one must be logged in to get to it, and involves private information, please, please, please include the URL of the page in question, and the identification for the problematic link on that page.  That's the way any of us here can examine things to get an answer that's both fast, and accurate.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

bestuiexperience

Sorry to revive this thread so late. I now have  a new link problem  (but am unable to share the link because it is under development). I am clicking on a link that actually uses JavaScript. It has an href of "javascript:void()", and has a click() event (which is also triggered by pressing the enter key) which executes a JavaScript function. The first time, the enter key is pressed the function works correctly, but the second time, focus just flies randomly to another part of the page. If I change the link to a button everything works fine, but for various reasons I want to keep it as a link. Is this an NVDA bug? Any workaround? I do not have this issue in JAWS.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:02 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 04:32 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I'd be interested in what the page is and if the link is actually in focus
This is one of the things I keep begging people to include when questions like this come up.  They are almost impossible to answer in the abstract because there are so many potential scenarios that can cause misbehavior.

Unless this is occurring somewhere like an online banking page, where one must be logged in to get to it, and involves private information, please, please, please include the URL of the page in question, and the identification for the problematic link on that page.  That's the way any of us here can examine things to get an answer that's both fast, and accurate.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jonathan COHN

Well, it is near impossible to tell what is happening from your description.

You should be able to turn off NVDA and browse to the link using tab keys and activate it that way.  If you see the same behavior (you do have a focus highlight ring don’t you?) then you know something is fishy in your JS code and its interaction with the Browser. But then you will need to try another Browser. If you are testing with Edge, try Firefox otherwise try Edge or Internet explorer.